PDA

View Full Version : HD TV question

Bret4207
01-03-2007, 10:19 AM
My wife just HAD TO HAVE a flat screen HDTV for our bedroom. Our old tv got a bunch of stations off the "rabbit ears" type anetenna that the HDTV doesn't get. A pal told me I need an HDTV capable antenna on my roof. Huh? Do I need a differnet antenna to get these other stations? Or does the HDTV only receive HD signals and if the stations aren't HD it won't get them anyway? Naturally Directv doesn't offer loacal stations in my market and cable is not available. Any ideas here?

krag35
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't know anything about HDTV, but another option (if avalible in your area) is Dish network. I had then when I lived over east of here and we got NO tv reception there. I liked then, and will probably switch from cable to them this spring.

Scrounger
01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Not all TV stations or cable/satellite channels broadcast in HD. I would assume your HD receiver would still show the non-HD channels at their own quality level.

dakotashooter2
01-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Directv doesn't offer loacal stations in my market and cable is not available.

My state requires any service providers to provide (throught their service) any local channels available through standard transmision free of charge.

carpetman
01-03-2007, 12:22 PM
The local channel here decided the cable company should be paying them. During the dispute,the local channel was not available on cable. The cable company gave everyone a set of rabbit ears and an AB switch. The AB switch was cable on A and---you aint gonna believe this---the local channel on B. I doubt that an AB switch would cost very much.

fatnhappy
01-03-2007, 01:31 PM
The local channel here decided the cable company should be paying them. During the dispute,the local channel was not available on cable. The cable company gave everyone a set of rabbit ears and an AB switch. The AB switch was cable on A and---you aint gonna believe this---the local channel on B. I doubt that an AB switch would cost very much.

Exactly what i was going to say! I have direct tv and they wanted an extra $3.99 a month for the local channels. I got a set of rabbit ears and an AB switch. I'll be darned if my ramen eating bullet casting frugal ways are going to be corrupted by paying for free channels.

Herb in Pa
01-03-2007, 01:55 PM
HD signals are broadcast over the air on the UHF band, thus you need an antenna capable of receiving UHF signals.

Bret4207
01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Herb- So are HDTV's capable or recvn'g regular TV or not? Are HDTV antenna's different than regular? Thanks-Bret

dragonrider
01-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Bret
Yes they are, My new set is HD capapable but I do not choose to pay more for the HD service, I can't tell the difference anyway. IMHO it's simply a marketing game to get more of your money.

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
And don't forget gentlemen, that in a couple of years when everything goes to HD we lesser mortals with the old TV's won't be able to pick up the signal anymore. They are just not compatible with eachother (standard signal and HD signal). All this will do is force us to either buy one of those HD compatible TV's or someone will come up with a "conversion" box to process the HD signal into "standard" format for the old sets that still work. I'm hoping there are many years left before they totally switch, but my memory is telling me about 2-3 years at most.

Herb in Pa
01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm