PDA

View Full Version : Serendipity, or sometimes it just all comes together

HammerMTB
06-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Definition of SERENDIPITY: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for

I got this little SP-101
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w15/HammerMTB/Guns/DSCN2600.jpg
you can pick which one of the stainless family it might be..... ;)
So I mic'd it for size- all 5 throats are .3577-.3578
NICE
and the bore is .357 even.
even NICER

It is just what I was looking for as a purse gun for my wife, whose hands seem to be too weak to rack a slide on more than a Beretta Bobcat or similar tiny autos. Even a KelTec P-11 was too much.
Got some Lee 148WCs loaded @ the classic 2.7 of Bullseye. Once she shows good control of that I will get her goin' on some bigger loads, tho I doubt she will tolerate real barn burner .357 Mag loads. He||, I don't even like those from a snubbie, and I shoot hot .44M and .45LC loads and smile about it.

1Shirt
06-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice looking threesome!
1Shirt!:coffee:

geargnasher
06-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Every once in a while Ruger gets one right at the factory. Don't let it go, the next twenty you see could be all over the map dimensionally. Nice score!

Gear

06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Those after-market grips will prove to be the cat's meow. Mine still has the factory grips, and full-house Magnum loads pound the snot out of my middle finger.

Bullwolf
06-20-2011, 02:03 AM
I have a Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4 inch barrel.

I had a beautiful set of Eagle Secret Service grips in ebony on the gun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3877

But, I actually managed to crack the grip panels shooting full house .357 Magnum loads through it.

It now wears the much more comfortable (and durable) Hogue finger groove grip. The Hogue grip seems to soak up quite a bit more recoil, but they also tend to stick to my shirt or jacket.

It's an amazingly accurate little gun for a snub nose revolver, and also quite the shooter when using 38 Special loads.

Recoil is kind of sharp with .357 Magnum loads, but using lighter weight boolits seems to minimize felt recoil quite a bit.

I really like the Ruger SP101, it's built like a little tank.

- Bullwolf