PDA

View Full Version : 22 scope thoughts

West Creek
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a Browning A bolt 22rf that does not have any sights and is in need of a scope. I'm not much of a scope person and definately unknowledgable of such things so I thought I would ask you guys. It currently is wearing an old K4 but it shoots w whole lot better than that old scope can see. The heavy post reticle would serve more usfullness I think on a deer rifle.

Soo - les hear it - what should I get for that rifle. Expecting to shoot smallish targets in the 50 to 100 yard range????

jh45gun
06-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Get a Variable target scope with a AO and that way you can set your zero at 50 yards then use the elevation knob to crank it right up to a 100.

West Creek
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey 45gun
What is an AO (remember I said I was ignorant of such things). I'm figuring there is an optic or some such meaning there????

Do they make such scopes designed for 22's or do most any scope qualify. I have heard of paralax problems with 22's and scopes. (not fully understanding paralax either) Is there an issue of using a scope designed for center fire rifles on 22 rifles? My thinking would be there wouldn't be except for maybe using a scope on targets closer than say 50 yards.

Artful
06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm using Bushnell 4x12 50" it's a centerfire scope, so recoil no issue - I'd suggest mil dot reticle if you are shooting over 50 and 100 yards - on mine I just hold low and use the dot for 50 yards and then cross hair for 100 - no moving elevation - when using 22 LR over long distance wind can play a significant agrivation - might look into some wind flags and a wind measuring device.

I find they by trying a number of different rounds you will find the gun will favor a particular brand / lot number - I then tend to buy several bricks of that lot for that gun. Oh, and watch your canting of the rifle make sure the crosshairs are level to the gun and that you put up the target straight so you don't do what I sometimes do and match the horizaonal crosshair to the target when the target is hung crooked - throws you to the left or right depending upon the cant.

atr
06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I dont know what range you will be shooting....most 22 RF are shot at the 50 to max 75 yard range. I have an old weaver 1" dia. tube 4x on one of my 22's....clean crosshair...the other has a 7/8dia tube and is a bushnell 4x

both are vary adequate for 50 to 75 shooting...the weaver 4x was a big game scope and it's AO is set for 100 yds. the bushnell is a true 22 scope and its AO is set for 50 yds...
you pay a premimu for scopes with adjustable AO...
my advice would be to find a good scope set up for 50 to 75 yd shooting.....and it will still be good for 100 yd s if necessary

Doc Highwall
06-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Simmons makes a 22mag scope that is 3x9x32mm objective that has a adjustable objective that focuses down under 25 yards and will not overpower the rifle in size. I believe you can buy it for about $60.00. I have one on a Marlin 39A 22Lr and it has a nice clear view and I would buy another one.

Baja_Traveler
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I've got a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 x 40 AO (http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexcrossfire4-12x40ao) on my 10/22, and it is by far the best .22 scope I own. I have two other .22's with Bushnell's that cost more, and they don't even compare to the Vortex. I've got the 10/22 sighted out to 200 yards for a long range silhouette shoot we do every 5th sunday, and this scope works flawlessly. The target turrets are simply a joy to use.

wallenba
06-17-2011, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=West Creek;1306434]Hey 45gun
What is an AO (remember I said I was ignorant of such things). I'm figuring there is an optic or some such meaning there????

Adjustable objective. Objective lens is the light gathering front lens. That feature is probably of little use for the average 22 rimfire shooter, but useful in switching ranges.

Doc Highwall
06-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Actually the reason most people think 22rf are not that accurate with a scope is because they put a high-power scope on them that does not have a AO/ adjustable parallax and high-power scopes are focused at 150 yards, and shotgun and 22rf scopes are focused at 75 yards. With a adjustable objective scope on your 22rf you will be able to focus it as close as 10 yards.

I have shot a lot of 22 gallery matches indoors at 50' with AO on the scopes and get a clear view. Then I will see a fellow shooter with a regular high-power scope like a 3x-9x power looking at 50' and even with their scope turned all the way down to 3x have a blurry view and more magnification only makes it more blurry.

Go to a gun shop that has scopes and look through both kinds of scopes that have a AO and do-not have a AO and look at something at 50' to 100' and you will see the difference.

tonyjones
06-18-2011, 12:17 AM
I suggest that you look into a Leupold VXII 3x9 EFR. EFR means extended focus range which is the same thing as adjustable objective which means that the scope can be adjusted to be parallax free at any reasonable range. They retail at about $400 but are worth it.

Tony

altheating
06-18-2011, 07:05 AM
There are other manufacturers of scopes other than Leupold? :-)

It always amazes me that someone will spend upwards of $600-$800 on a great rifle and put a $39 Simmons or Tasco on it and wonder why it won't shoot. Then blame the rifle, the ammo, the wind, bad primers or the phase of the moon. Hey stupid! you put a junk scope on it.
Put your money into a good scope, you will be glad you did.

Shooter6br
06-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Simmons 3x9 AO scope. ( 22 Mag model) adjust down to 10 yrds. Target turrets Check out Midway reviews

jh45gun
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey 45gun

Do they make such scopes designed for 22's or do most any scope qualify. I have heard of paralax problems with 22's and scopes. (not fully understanding paralax either) Is there an issue of using a scope designed for center fire rifles on 22 rifles? My thinking would be there wouldn't be except for maybe using a scope on targets closer than say 50 yards.

Doc explained the AO well so I will not get into that. if your gonna shoot at a 100 yards a lot I would get like a 4x16 or a 6x24 with a AO. Having the higher powers are nice for shooting small targets at longer distances. My target scope is a 10x40 which is more scope then you probably need and it is nice to have the lower power of 4 or 6 for shooting offhand even at 10 it gets hard to hold steady offhand using the higher power since it is magnified so much but for using a rest it is perfect. You can use the mildots or like I suggested use the target scope as was intended set your zero at 50 which is once you get the gun sighted in at 50 then take the knobs off and set them back on at zero for both Windage and Elevation and your done. When you want to shoot at a 100 move up the target knobs until you get zeroed in and remember that setting. My gun is set up for Silhouette so my zero is at 44 yards and I move from zero to 6.5 out of 7 to be right on at a 100.

rmcc
06-19-2011, 01:28 AM
I have used 4X scopes on my 22's and have had good luck with them... but I do not shoot match with them, they are for plinking and squirrel hunting. As several sages have stated above, get a scope with an AO. Power is a matter of taste and what field of view you want to settle for. You definitely get what you pay for in optics!! Leupold, the good series of Nikon, older Penax, old Redfields are all good scopes. If you can find one, a Lyman All American is agreat 22 scope. For match, I use a 14x Unertl. Great glass but dark compared to ones mentioned above. You can never pay too much for good glass!!
An example, I have a pair of Leica binoculars that I saved and saved for. They will be the last binoculars I ever buy. A friend looked through them and said his $29.00 Bushnells were just as good. I didn't waste my breath explaining why the Leicas were better, he wouldn't get it. But he will be buying binoculars the rest of his life, I won't and have no regrets of paying what I did for them. The same applies to rifle scopes, you will never regret buying a good one. Most of my rifles wear Leupolds because they are the best compromise between what I can afford and the performance I desire.

Rich

jh45gun
06-19-2011, 01:58 AM
My target scope is a Tasco and while they are lower priced scopes 150 bucks it is a nice scope. While good glass is something I will agree get the best you can afford I think some of the cheaper scopes out there today rival what good scopes were just a few years ago. Consider Cameras years ago the best cameras came from Germany then Japan got into the market and their cameras started giving Germany a run for the money at a much more competitive price. Same goes for scopes. Some of the Japanese scopes are good scopes. Now with China I think you can get good or bad scopes depending on the company and the price involved. China is known for making good and bad products which boils down to the specifications of the company doing the ordering.

troy_mclure
06-19-2011, 02:26 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=168462

$119 for the simmons whitetail classic.

i have one on my ar, and it was on my marlin 60 for a while. its real nice to see a quarter at 100yds, and see where your shots go.

Doc Highwall
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Here is a picture of the Simmons 22 mag scope on a Marlin 39A that was cut down to 16"+ along side a Marlin 1897 Cowboy with a 3x Malcolm.

This scope is nice and clear and does not over power the rifle in size making it look like a night vision scope.

If you take the scope caps off you can adjust it with your fingers.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_31404dfe1e4595023.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1230)

bobthenailer
06-20-2011, 09:35 AM
IMO I wouid go with a 1 inch tube rifle scope made for a 22 lr ! almost every maker makes one
or a scope with a AO .
I personaly have a 3.5 x 10 leupold AO with target knobs on my rem 541s and a burris 4x12 AO
on my custom STC ruger 10/22.
a nice set up would be a leupold 2x7
You can send any of leupolds scopes back to leupold and have the parrelex changed from 150 yards to 75 or 50 yards for free . Ive done it 2 time myself in the past !

BruceB
06-20-2011, 12:12 PM
I've given the subject of scopes for .22 rimfires a good bit of thought.

After at least forty years of "thought", my current solution seems to be working well.

Just a few moths ago, I mounted a Burris Fullfield "SHOTGUN and MUZZLE-LOADER" scope on my Browning take-down .22 auto.

Reasons:

1" tube, great field of view and light transmission

2-7X magnification...2X is great for small game up close, and 7X suffices for anything else within .22 range

good, visible reticle design for almost any .22 purpose

1/4-minute click adjustments

PARALLAX-FREE at 75 yards...perfect for the .22 Long Rifle

All in all, it seems to be a very sensible set-up for the .22 rifle. I also mounted another "Shotgun & Muzzle-loader" scope on my daughter's .223 Mini-14, for exactly the same reasons stated above. Given that the little Ruger is not exactly a varmint-accurate rifle, the 2-7X seems ample , and the field of view at 2X is very useful for fast, close-range shooting. This specifically includes defensive purposes.

I like these scopes a lot for my intended purposes. They do cost more than ".22 scopes", but I consider the .22s to be just as important as my center-fires, when it comes to equipping them for max performance.

cajun shooter
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I have sold and mounted at least hundreds of scopes and see a lot of misinformation that has been posted. Westcreek, Unless you are going to be shooting over 100 yards on a regular bases you don't need a AO scope. I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made. First buy a one inch in diameter scope and not the 3/4 inch that is often sold for 22's. If you want one of the better scopes then buy a Leupold that they make for 22's. In this day and time you may find one of the less costly scopes that you like. The Mueller scopes have been given a good thumbs up as well as some that sell for $100 range. You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise. The biggest thing about any 22 is finding the ammo that it likes. You may have to try up to 10 types or more.

jh45gun
06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I have sold and mounted at least hundreds of scopes and see a lot of misinformation that has been posted. Westcreek, Unless you are going to be shooting over 100 yards on a regular bases you don't need a AO scope. I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made. First buy a one inch in diameter scope and not the 3/4 inch that is often sold for 22's. If you want one of the better scopes then buy a Leupold that they make for 22's. In this day and time you may find one of the less costly scopes that you like. The Mueller scopes have been given a good thumbs up as well as some that sell for $100 range. You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise. The biggest thing about any 22 is finding the ammo that it likes. You may have to try up to 10 types or more.

You have some good points and for most folks yea maybe a 2x7 would be fine but I have found the higher powers really are nice for seeing at longer distances and the target knob set up so you do not have to hold over is very nice. It also depends on your use a lot of Silhouette shooters use higher power scopes on their rifles.Mine is a 10x40 which is a lot of scope I probably could have gotten by with a 6x24 but I wanted one with a target dot and this scope had it for a reasonable price. Offhand it is taking some getting used to but at the bench it is great. For shooting longer distances with a 22 shooting a higher power scope really helps. This the first HIGH POWER scope I have ever owned before that the highest one was a 3x9. There is no comparison using the higher powers at a longer distance.

troy_mclure
06-20-2011, 06:07 PM
You don't need or want a 50mm 6-24 AO scope on a 22 LR. A 2-7 will do fine for most people. As was posted by another member all 22 scopes have the AO set at 75 yards and that is a good compromise..

i love my large magnification scopes on my range/target rifles. i can see my hits easily at 100 and beyond so have no need to break out the spotting scope.

bobthenailer
06-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Although i have larger scopes on my 22 rifles and it takes away from there lines ! a 2x7 leupold size scope would IMO be perfict on a 22 rifle with the parralex reset .
The reason i have those scopes on my rifles is i shoot my 22 rifles at varing distances from 25 to 200 yards .

jh45gun
06-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I think a huge scope takes away from the lines of ANY RIFLE. LOL But if your gonna shoot long distances with a 22 I have found a target scope with target knobs and a AO makes it much more easier and enjoyable.

felix
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerful scopes are only for small targets at any range, such as one boolit hole as a target. Must have AO. Target knobs are ideal. Otherwise pick a variable, so you can guess the range of the target by knowing the size of the target within the scope at full focus via AO. ... felix

West Creek
06-23-2011, 07:11 PM
OK

I've been researching scopes on lines regarding costs as such. Leupold makes a rimfire scope 3-9x33 with AO that I might consider - it being the top end I think of everything. One option I think would be a good idea is the target knobs - particularly for elevation. So far My research is starting at the top and may trickle down depending on how my wallet feels before I purchase.

So this brings me to what to do. I've got a Browning A-bolt 22 that shoots pretty good. Had no problems shooting 1/2 group at 50 yards with my old K-4 on top. My Dad just purchased a Kimber CMP target rifle that he wants to play with. Him being 75 and not so good eye sight he wants to mount a scope on it. which is one of the reasons I started this adventure. He wanted to take the high power bla bla scope off my brothers 270 and mount it on his rifle to see how good he could shoot at 100 yards. I pointed out t would not fit with it's large objective lense and told him I would buy a scope (wanting one anyway for my 22 with no iron sights).

So here I am - 2 rifles and needing two scopes. I'm thinking I could get a top shelf taget scope to mount on dad's rifle and a more hunting type scope to mount on my rifle maybe something like the 2-7x28 Leupold. This giving me two tools - If I want to snipe ground squerrels at 100 yards or join in on the target shoot at a local club I could use Pop's Kimber with the target knobs and AO. Where Woods hunting squerrels I would carry the much more freindly browning without target knobs.

Now this also leaves me with mounting the scope. I have (I think) a good set of scope rings for my browning - being steel and pretty good quality. They are steel and of two piece construction and clamp onto the receiver grooves. I would expect to buy another set for dad's rifle but know not what to look for in rings. Also I have read in the reviews and other forum posts where folks will lap the rings. I'm pretty sure most folks don't go to that extreme. BUT - sometimes that's not me. If it is something worhtwhile I would look into it. Obviously the folks who recomend it think it is worth while but I do not know what benefit there is in lapping the mounts. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

tonyjones
06-25-2011, 11:44 PM
All of my .22's have their scopes mounted in Talley (screw-lock) rings. You might also look into the Burris rings that have the inserts that allow considerable flexibility in getting the scope centered. However, this should not be much of a problem with a .22 with a grooved receiver. Some center fires have holes for mounting the scope bases that are not in proper alignment. That's where lapping the scope rings comes into play.

Regards,

Tony

tonyjones
06-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Take a look at the Weaver 2.5x7 RF scope. They sell for around $140 new. I have one as well as the Leupold 3x9 EFR ($400). The Leupold is the better scope but the Weaver is a solid value. For a sight on a .22 to be used for woods bumming you should be quite happy with it.

Tony

madsenshooter
06-26-2011, 12:03 AM
My old Springfield model 120 wears what I feel to be the ultimate 22 scope. It doesn't have any adjustable objective, or target knobs, it isn't even a variable. Nor does it have a pricey name. It's a 2.5x Norman Ford Texan with a dot reticle. The dot subtends less than a golf ball at 30 paces and it'll hit a squirrel in the head every time with its favorite ammo, Winchester copper clad 22s. The rifle isn't much to look at, you have to pull the cocking piece back before you fire it, it doesn't automatically chamber another round and you can forget about follow up shots. But its as effective and accurate a combination as can be found.

winelover
06-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Take a look at the Weaver 2.5x7 RF scope. They sell for around $140 new. I have one as well as the Leupold 3x9 EFR ($400). The Leupold is the better scope but the Weaver is a solid value. For a sight on a .22 to be used for woods bumming you should be quite happy with it.

Tony

+1 on the Weaver variable. That's what I have on my 9422. I love the Leo's and Trijicon's on my centerfires but the Weaver give the most bang for the buck on a rimfire.

Winelover

canyon-ghost
06-26-2011, 02:41 PM
If it is something worhtwhile I would look into it. Obviously the folks who recomend it think it is worth while but I do not know what benefit there is in lapping the mounts. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

I use a lot of Weaver mounts on my handguns. The reason you won't see a lot of hunters lapping scopes is because they haven't seen it done. I spend possibly 2 hours at most lapping a new set of rings and that includes cleanup. I do it so that my rings won't leave marks on the scope and so they will be true. I've only seen one set of Weaver rings that wasn't all that straight. It only takes off the edges so they don't dig into the scope and it allows a good solid fit, a tighter fit on the screws. You can pretty much pick the gun up by the scope without effecting anything. It's more permanent and you won't need to worry with the scope moving under recoil, it's down solid. It's really not that big a deal, just extra care put into the scope (it's a telescope, after all).

Ron

jh45gun
06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
My old Springfield model 120 wears what I feel to be the ultimate 22 scope. It doesn't have any adjustable objective, or target knobs, it isn't even a variable. Nor does it have a pricey name. It's a 2.5x Norman Ford Texan with a dot reticle. The dot subtends less than a golf ball at 30 paces and it'll hit a squirrel in the head every time with its favorite ammo, Winchester copper clad 22s. The rifle isn't much to look at, you have to pull the cocking piece back before you fire it, it doesn't automatically chamber another round and you can forget about follow up shots. But its as effective and accurate a combination as can be found.

It all depends on what you want to use your 22 for. For hunting squirrels that sounds perfect but it would not be worth a darn for folks who want to shoot long distances and that is what the OP said out to a hundred yards. That old saying aim small shoot small Works better with a higher powered scope if your shooting at small targets. On the other hand a my 1.5 x 4.5 Weaver scope on my Marlin model 95 45/70 works great I shot a doe at 190 yards with it set to 4.5 power yet for closer distances in the woods the 1.5 is PERFECT.

Alan in Vermont
06-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I also would not mount any scope meant for the larger caliber rifles for several reasons. The first and main thing is that all the adjustments are intended for large center-fire cartridges which is so different from any 22 made.

I'm confused, what adjustments are "different" for .22 than centerfires? Is a 1/4 minute no longer a 1/4 minute if it applied to a 22 tube?

Artful
06-27-2011, 02:00 AM
1/4 MOA is always 1/4 MOA - Cajun Shooter may be thinking of BDC scopes
(Bullet Drop compensator cams - little knob you dial elevation adjustment based on distance and the cam puts on the elevation correction for that dist.)

or reticules with marks for specific distances like Pentax's Ballistic Plex reticule
http://www.burrisoptics.com/images/reticle_chart.jpg

leadman
06-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I have BSA 3 X 9 made for the 22lr with 3 different elevation drums for different bullet weights. The drums are marked with yardages so if you can estimate range well or have a rangefinder you can set the drum to the range and pull the trigger. Works great.

Think it was $40 from the Sportsman's Guide plus shipping. Very bright optics, clear, has an AO. Only goes to 175 yards so beyond that you have to hold over.

The scope is a little heavier than a "normal" scope but if you shoot longer ranges it works well. Cabela's sells similar scopes and I have one for the 17HMR on my Savage.

fourarmed
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
You don't need AO unless you want to shoot small groups. Scopes intended for centerfire hunting rifles are set to be parallax-free at around 100 to 150 yards. Than means that if you aim at something 50 yards away, you will see the crosshairs move around on the target as you move your eye relative to the scope. If you don't hold your eye perfectly centered behind the scope, that is going to open up your groups. AO allows you to make an adjustment so that the crosshair stays in one place as you move your eye. That eliminates an important source of aiming error.

Artful
06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
And who doesn't want to shoot small groups ;^)

jh45gun
06-28-2011, 05:05 PM
And who doesn't want to shoot small groups ;^)

exactly I am shooting a 110 yards now {Silhouette} with no guessing crank the elevation up to my 110 yard setting adjust the AO and be on target. Before with a regular scope I had to guess hold over all the time if I did not want to mess with my closer range settings. Which is not as accurate as putting the crosshairs where you want to hit.

Casting Timmy
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm thinking about buying a 36x power for my 22lr, most of the guys I shoot ARA with are using 36x or I think a couple are using 45x.

doubs43
06-29-2011, 10:00 PM
While I don't recall the scope power or cartridges I used, here is a link to 5 shot group at 50 yards using one of the Remington Model 5 rifles made in Bosnia by Zastava. Adjust the trigger on a Model 5 to a decent let-off and they will shoot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81916405@N00/2802316618/in/photostream

ricksplace
09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
I just bought a Stoeger airgun scope. 3 to 9 X40, A/O from 10 meters to 300 and infinity. 1" tube, target knobs, 1/4 moa clicks. $67.50 at my local gunshop. Crystal clear. I put it on my Norinco JW15e.

JeffinNZ
09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
I have BSA 3 X 9 made for the 22lr with 3 different elevation drums for different bullet weights. The drums are marked with yardages so if you can estimate range well or have a rangefinder you can set the drum to the range and pull the trigger. Works great.

Think it was $40 from the Sportsman's Guide plus shipping. Very bright optics, clear, has an AO. Only goes to 175 yards so beyond that you have to hold over.

The scope is a little heavier than a "normal" scope but if you shoot longer ranges it works well. Cabela's sells similar scopes and I have one for the 17HMR on my Savage.

Is that the BSA with the Mil dots? I have seen some locally and they have turrets etc. The price was very competitive but I have sat on my hands for fear of poor quality. The optics sure are crisp though.

scrapcan
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
my favorite 22 scope is a burris 6x mini. it is a fixed power. Has good subtends to use for range estimation (if you don't know what subtends are, have a look at one of the major scope manufacturers scope specifications, you can range find with them). The scope is full 1 inch tube has small occular lense so it doesn't look bad on a 22. Mine has good clarity from 25 feet to 100 yards and has enough eye relief to make it easily mounted on a variety of 22 rifles.

The downside, well it is no longer made. but a suitable replacement should be available.

jimbojr
09-17-2011, 02:11 AM
4x or a 2-7. Leupold prefured.

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 12:45 AM
BSA make a really nice sweet 22 scope not to much for a 22 and so fare not a problum out of my 3 look into them.

Ickisrulz
09-19-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-vari-x-2-7x28mm-compact-rifle-scope.html

Leupold 2-7x Rimfire. I have one on my CZ452. Very nice scope.

shotman
09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
jeff
175 yds ??? we dont have that kind of 22 LR up here
Leupold on a 22? is like putting recaps on a hummer

Tom-ADC
09-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Wally world Center Point think it cost $70 its on my Savage 93R17 FV in 17 HMR 25 rounds back to back under an quarter in diameter at 100 yards.

oldgeezershooter
09-20-2011, 03:26 AM
Go to shops that sell used scopes and find an old Weaver steel scope, I have a K6-1 on my Ruger 17HMR lever action and a K4-1 on my Marlin 39A. These things are cheap and indestructible.

Ickisrulz
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
jeff

How do you figure?

x101airborne
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I was fortunate and picked up two Leupold dangerous game 1.5-5 VariX III scopes from the late 80's for 75.00 each (used). They are straight tube 1 inch scopes and are extremely bright. They are small and light and parallax free 25 - 125 yards. I figure any scope made for the 416 weatherby should stand up to my browning buckmark carbine over and over and over!! I spent the money I saved on scopes and sprung for the talley mounts. For my needs, these work REALLY well.

bobv
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't hunt with my 22's just shoot from a bench at 50yds and no long ago I got a Weaver T36 to put on my T/C Benchmark..great comb ..and I don't need a spotting scope
Bob
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC05364.JPG

Herb in Pa
09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
jeff
175 yds ??? we dont have that kind of 22 LR up here

How about a Unertl???