PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 96/44

tracker
06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone
I went into our local sporting goods store and found a very interesting lever gun. I is as ugly as a mud post but after picking it up found it to be very light and quick pointing. It's a Ruger model 96/44 mag. I didn’t know that they made these in 44 Mag. Do any of you know about this rifle? I can’t seem to get much information about this gun from the net. It comes with a set of Ruger rings and open sights. After looking on the internet when I got home , it has a 1 in 20 twist rate. Don’t know if that is good for cast boolits or not. They want 379.00 $ for it. He said that it has been on the shelf for some time and I believe he wants to get rid of it. Any one own one of these and if so, do you like it ? I may be interested, but then maybe not. The price seems fair.

Tracker

Scrounger
06-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello everyone
I went into our local sporting goods store and found a very interesting lever gun. I is as ugly as a mud post but after picking it up found it to be very light and quick pointing. It's a Ruger model 96/44 mag. I didn’t know that they made these in 44 Mag. Do any of you know about this rifle? I can’t seem to get much information about this gun from the net. It comes with a set of Ruger rings and open sights. After looking on the internet when I got home , it has a 1 in 20 twist rate. Don’t know if that is good for cast boolits or not. They want 379.00 $ for it. He said that it has been on the shelf for some time and I believe he wants to get rid of it. Any one own one of these and if so, do you like it ? I may be interested, but then maybe not. The price seems fair.

Tracker

You ought to know better than to expect an easy answer. I had one of those and consider it the worst gun I ever owned. On the other hand, I believe Felix has one and is quite happy with it. It goes without saying that he knows more about guns and reloading than I do. While mine was a very good looking and well designed gun, Ruger persists in putting terrible excuses for barrels on some models, like the one I had. At 50 yards it would manage 7 or 8 inch groups. Needless to say, it wasn't around long, The magazine only holds 4 rounds and costs over $25 each. But Ruger does make sexy guns. About a year ago I found a Ruger All Weather 77/44, a bolt action job that is as cute as a new puppy. I started to say 'kitten' but I didn't want to get CarpetMan frothing at the mouth... This gun is all stainless with a black synthetic stock, has an 18-1/2" barrel. Great looking and handling gun. But it has that Ruger over-priced and low capacity magazine, and I am betting, bad barrel. Although I've never shot it, I'm so convinced it will have the Ruger piece of crap barrel, that I just listed it on Auction Arms. I'll take my chances with another .44 Marlin, or maybe a Winchester that Beagle speaks so well of.

EchoSixMike
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
I have one, and it works as intended. The rotary mags limit OAL, so you need to use short bullets like 240 condums or non Keith profile SWC's or TC's. Mine seems to like 300gn TC's, all I've used through it is commercial hard hard cast and those shoot fairly well. 2-2.5" at 100yds. Has a 4x fixed Loopie on it.

I have a bolt action 788 44mag that I use more often, as well as a bolt Ruger 44. I just prefer a bolt action. That said the lever Ruger isn't a bad gun. S/F...Ken M

felix
06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
This lever gun is an action gun, period. Best lever throw in the business, and the mechanics are good for 50K cup ammo for those excessively long shots across the stream. When you hafta' have more than one shot at a large running target, this is the lever to own. Yes, the gun is not that accurate because the throat extends 26 miles down the barrel. Also, the nose length after the crimp cannot be more than 0.300". With boolits that short, the twist should have been left at 34-38, and not the 20 that it does have. The gun does not jam, however. Therefore, with all this said, shoot large diameter condoms or gas checked boolits for satisfaction. The gun will cycle a boolit with 0.433 diameter, using standard WW or RP brass. ... felix

tracker
06-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Something inside is telling me to pass on this. To bad, it is a really handy rifle.
I was looking at getting an EMF, but now I am all over the place looking at every 44 mag lever out there. I have 400.00$ set aside and could add more to it but would have to wait another month if I add more money to the pot.
OK then, what about the Winchester Trapper, or the 1894 or for that matter the EMF. I guess wanting to get some advice from you folks who might have one of these Love the looks of the Trapper. It's like going into a candy store and trying to make up ones mind.

Tracker

EchoSixMike
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I have a 44mag Trapper, kicks a lot harder than you'd expect. Shooting heavy loaded 240's was like work, and this was right after shooting my Guide Gun. If you get a Trapper factor in that a Pachmyr Decellerator or other soft buttplate will be a good investment. S/F...Ken M

felix
06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Get the trapper or trailsend, 16 or 20 inch barrel, the newer version winnie with 26 twist and you will be happy. ... felix

DOUBLEJK
06-05-2005, 12:09 AM
I have a 96/44 n like the other's have mentioned it has a limited capacity as to O.A.L. I have a LBT 280WFNGC mold that will just fit in the Rugers magazine and feed smoothly....Accuracy is on the order of 3" er so at 100yds.
That said I also have a Win94 Legacy and a Rossi 92 carbine...
The Rossi is easily my favorite...it shoots cast real well....and will feed the 429421 just barely...ifin' I'm having a particularly good day it'll do better with the iron sights than the 96/44 will with a 2-8X scope....was not thrilled with the recoil of it with that cresent steel tipped butt so I bought a factory Win92 second in Shotgun shape n attached a recoil pad....now it's real easy shootin' even with heavy boolits movin' at max velocity.....the shape a the butt makes a world of difference....
The Legacy is a real nice lookin' rifle but mine tends to feed a round under the lifter jammin' it up good....accuracy is on a par with the Rossi tho....and it came with the flat butt...also its a angle eject so scope's er a second option that the Rossi 92 copy doesn't give you...
Still that Rossi 92 is the one I shoot by far the most n like the best....EMF's n Navy Arms er the same gun also...Rossi makes em for them...

tracker
06-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Well, I’m heading to North West sporting goods store this next week with 400.00 $ dollars in my pocket. Maybe 20.00$ more just in case. I want to see the Trapper and feel how it handles. I just might stop at a Willy World and see if they have one. Why do I fell guilty about saying Willy World. :shock:

Tracker

Four Fingers of Death
06-05-2005, 08:26 AM
My mate had one and mounted a scope, got a mould made by Jim Allison at Casr Bullet Engineering and began to work loads out. No way would the rifle shoot. We all siad check the scope, he said no way, its a good scope. He was a machinist and began attacking and improving the action, lockup, etc, etc. After a couple of years and major modifications to the action, barrel fit, yarda, yarda, yarda he relented and checked the scope. Bingo one big ragged hole! He is now very happy with it, but a bit embarrased talking about it.

tracker
06-05-2005, 09:42 AM
4fingermick
Been there, done that. Mine was my Ruger 77. I spent as much money trying to develope a load for the rifle as what I payed for it back in 91. No Lie Bro.

Tracker

Bear4570
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I have a Ruger 96/44 with a little 1.5 x 5 shotgun scope on it, shoots accurate and have no problems with it, I use the Ray Thompson Bullet from a lyman 429244 mold. and I load it a tad heavy. Shoots 1.5-2 inches at 100 yrds if I do my part. Love the short stroke lever, but wish someone made a higher capacity magazine for it, but it is still faster than loading my old Ruger .44 auto carbine with its tube magazine. I also have a Rossi 92, love the gun, shoots like a dream, accurate and easy to carry.
I load a Lee C430-310-RF 310 gr (300 gr with my alloy) bullet and it hits like a mac truck. Gave up on the Winchester Trapper, Had one in .45 colt and .44 mag. Kept breaking the cartridge carrier on both of them, replaced the .45 colt twice and the .44 mag once. I no longer have or will ever have another Winchester as long as I can get Rossi or marlins.
IMHO you could do a lot worse than a .44 Ruger 96/44.

Four Fingers of Death
07-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I have a Ruger 96/44 with a little 1.5 x 5 shotgun scope on it, shoots accurate and have no problems with it, I use the Ray Thompson Bullet from a lyman 429244 mold. and I load it a tad heavy. Shoots 1.5-2 inches at 100 yrds if I do my part. Love the short stroke lever, but wish someone made a higher capacity magazine for it, but it is still faster than loading my old Ruger .44 auto carbine with its tube magazine. I also have a Rossi 92, love the gun, shoots like a dream, accurate and easy to carry.
I load a Lee C430-310-RF 310 gr (300 gr with my alloy) bullet and it hits like a mac truck. Gave up on the Winchester Trapper, Had one in .45 colt and .44 mag. Kept breaking the cartridge carrier on both of them, replaced the .45 colt twice and the .44 mag once. I no longer have or will ever have another Winchester as long as I can get Rossi or marlins.
IMHO you could do a lot worse than a .44 Ruger 96/44.

I currently own 4x94s and have owned another 6 or so in the past. All were used extensively without a problem at all. I can't remember any of my friends ever having trouble either. Its a shame you got a dud. I shoot cowboy action and the only guns that I have seen that are absolutely reliable are the 94s and the 92s (mostly clones, the old ones seem to have a few problems, but thats to be expected).

Bear4570
07-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I shoot cowboy action and the only guns that I have seen that are absolutely reliable are the 94s and the 92s (mostly clones, the old ones seem to have a few problems, but thats to be expected).

The only one I see really stand up for CAS are Marlins and Model 92's. Never had a problem with either of them. The Win 94's and pistol cartridges for some reason (most certainly case length) don't stand up as well.
Just my 0.2 cents from what I have witnessed.

StarMetal
07-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Bear

When you said the Win 94's don't stand up well in CAS, in what aspect? What gives out or breaks, etc.?

Joe

Rrusse11
07-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Gents,
Was discussing that 1:38" twist yesterday afternoon after the installation of a 24" octagon 44-40 (1:36" twist incidentally) barrel on one of my Marlin 1894's. Allen reckins that Bill Ruger had a lot to do with the initial development of the 44Mag cartridge, and that it was his initial work with the cartridge in a rifle platform that led to what is ideal for a 240grainer ~ 1600-1700 fps. Smith and Wesson found that at the Mach 1 velocities out of a revolver with that same load, you need the much faster rate of 1:20. Hence I believe much of the wide variation in twist rates. Depends on ur velocity. For Cowboy stuff, you'll need that fast twist rate, but not very kind to cast at higher speeds. My Marlin 444 with its 1:38 WILL shoot heavy boolits, but you have to push them.
I'll fool around with the 44-40 for a while, but long term it's a gonna' get the casull treatment. What I have managed to interest Allen in doing for me though is a 218 Bee with Balls of Fire, {:o). He's got a 221 Fireball reamer, and I just got in some 360DW brass, which I'll see if I can neck down to a 22cal. 30Mauser>256Win>221Fireball with a rim.
Got the Marlin 1894CL in the 218Bee, and some initial testing of the tube and bolt face look like it's going to be feasible. I'll have to load it shorter than Fireball specs, but at the end of the day it should leave the Mashburn Bee for dead. 3000fps with a 50gr is the goal......

Tracker,
Died in the wool Marlin fan here,,,, do try one of the Marlin 1894PG's,
and if you want to get a lil fancier, go for one of the octagon CB's. All set up to load 1.7" COAL. It'll stabilise a 200gr at low velocity cowboy action stuff, or crank it up and shoot 265's at 1700hundred.
Cheers,
R*2