PDA

View Full Version : Another RD Boolit the TLC379-210-RF Smacks a Doe

Ranch Dog
01-02-2007, 09:17 AM
My dad and I went out to fill a couple of doe permits and I shot this "trophy" doe. Passed up a couple yearling's through 3 year olds to find this older gal right at dark. I shot her with my Marlin 375 and a Lee special order TLC379-210-RF boolit at 52-yards. Holly cow, what a hole!

I'm shooting this 210-grain bullet with 30.5-grains of H4227 for 2220 FPS.

357maximum
01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Congratulations Michael:-D

Now only if someone at LeePrecision was smart enough to catalogue the whole RD series...maybe we need to get an online petition going....I know if I were the one running the show at lee, not only would the whole line be available...it would retain the RD-TLC designation...I know my collection still lacks the 30/35/375 versions, I would love to them wise up to the facts......
:mrgreen:

carpetman
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Ranch Dog--Did you make a mount of the trophy doe? It's easy. Here's how. Bend the lower joint of the legs into 90 degree and tie in that posistion. Mix cup and half 20 Mule Team Borax(You get this at supermarket in detergent section)to a gallon of water. Soak for 3 days and rinse real well. This will prevent it from stinking. Let dry a few days. Besides the legs,you may want the tail for ornamentation--if so,remove the bone and soak the tail in same solution as the legs. Just mix up a few gallons of the solution and soak em all in same bucket. Plastic buckets work fine. After the legs have dried you can untie them and they will maintain the bend about the same as if welded. Your trophy is now ready for the mounting board. This will be a rack. Possibly a two Marlin gun rack? Maybe a one Marlin and two hats? Baseball bat or two? Bow rack? 4 hat? Whatever you want. Just make a board to fit your choice. On the backside of the board drill a countersink hole the depth of the thickness of a lag bolt head. A lag bolt will be used to screw into the legs to hold them on. Legs being hollow, a 3/8" x3 1/2 lag bolt works well-----if you have never done this it will appear too big,but it works great. That countersink hole needs to be of a diameter that a socket will go into the hole for tightening purposes. Drill the countersink hole the rest of the way through with a bit the size of the lag bolt--the lag bolt goes through without threading into it. Determine how far you want the legs to stick out and saw em off at that length (probably 3-4"). Screw the lag bolts into the legs--the hooves will be pointing up. You can use shoe polish and put a good shine on the hooves. If tail is used,probably in the center at the bottom is best location. A screw from the backside can be used. Your doe rack is ready for the wall.

krag35
01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks Carpetman. I have seen those "hoof racks" before, but didn't know how they were made. Next year I'll try it.

405 WCF
01-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Congrats RD!
As I see from the picture, you are under influece of the new "green line" era.:-D
Meat and vegetabiles at the some time with one shot .:-D

Here were I hunt we allways have a lot of fun when we hunt.
Everyone that kills a moose have to take a big cream cake to the hunting cabin the next hunting day.:-D
If you happen to shot the moose in the stomach, = 2 cakes. ( one for the moose and one for the vegetabiles):-D
If you wound a moose, so that someone else have to finish the moose for you,= 2 cakes.
If you miss at a moose, = 1 cake.:Fire:
If you sleep to long, so that your friends must wait for you = 1 cake, ( and dont try to blame the watch)[smilie=1:
If you get lost in the woods, =1 cake.

We eat cake allmost every day!!!
My wife is not so happy about the cookies.
Before the hunt this fall she said: - this year you will have to make your cookies by your self.:confused:
Well, I am not so good at the noble art of cooking, and that I was told by my hunting friends, but they were eating anyway!::mrgreen:

carpetman
01-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Krag35--You are welcome. Couple more pointers--Where the legs contact the board on front, thong leather lacing can be tied around the leg for trim. Sorta like an escutcheon. You can also use the Borax for snakeskins. Good stuff that Borax---can brush your teeth with it--try it you will like it. If you kill a turkey,tie it where the middle toe gives the worldwide obscene gesture,soak in Borax let dry and mount it on a board and you have "foul"finger. If you need it concealed for some reason---hang a hat on it.

Ranch Dog
01-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Excellent idea carpetman. I would like to save a couple of tails... don't know why but they sure are nice looking!

Ranch Dog
01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
I measured the holes today while I was cutting it up 2" in and 1" out.

Dr. A
01-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Whats the meplat on that Michael?

Ranch Dog
01-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Whats the meplat on that Michael?

.285"

475/480
01-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Well done RD,
I just got a Lee 6 cavity .430- 285 RDTL from Lee Surplus that I will put to the test this weekend in Bracketville,Tx.A rep came by the office and invited me to his lease...
I shoot a TC Encore -440 GNR- 13" bll (50 Alaskan necked down to 44) this will put a 285gr cast out at 2200 fps+.

Sean

Ranch Dog
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Well done RD,
I just got a Lee 6 cavity .430- 285 RDTL from Lee Surplus that I will put to the test this weekend in Bracketville,Tx.A rep came by the office and invited me to his lease...
I shoot a TC Encore -440 GNR- 13" bll (50 Alaskan necked down to 44) this will put a 285gr cast out at 2200 fps+.

Sean
Sean, could you give us a report as to the average diameter that is dropped with that mold... also the alloy, air or water quenched, etc. Cast them hot and hard so that the Micro-Bands are well defined. Good luck with your hunt!

475/480
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Sean, could you give us a report as to the average diameter that is dropped with that mold... also the alloy, air or water quenched, etc. Cast them hot and hard so that the Micro-Bands are well defined. Good luck with your hunt!

Hi RD,

Avg Dia- .430-.431
Alloy- WW
Water dropped-- BHN 24-28 depending on how hot the mould is.
I cast with a Cast Master at 800* untill mould heats up and then I drop temp to 650+/-.
The mould cast great bullets that dropped like rain out of the mould.NO bullets stick in mould.I thought that the micro bands might have helped in the release of the bullets.It did take the mould a little time( 10 casts) to heat up.
With my WW's weight is 282gr with check/lube.
Considering the price an excellent deal.

Sean

Redneck Pete
06-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Nice pics and interesting reading. :)

BTW - does anyone here shoot the standard Lee .375" cast bullet? I have recently got the mould, but have not yet made any casts.

Pete

Ranch Dog
06-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I tried it Pete and just didn't have any success with the plain base design. I'm working on another bullet, a TLC379-235-RF that has a couple of crimp grooves to accommodate the different brass lengths for the 38-55 and the long throat of the 375 Marlin. My first four molds for "research" should be here really soon.

Nrut
06-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Good deal RD...I have several 38-55's and a Win .375 that could use a lighter boolit...bet they would work in a 9.3 sized down also...:)

Steelbanger
06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Pete,

I don't hunt with the Lee bevel base bullet but I have used it in my 38-55 for silhouette. I never trusted bevel base bullets but that mould was cheap and available so I tried it. My mould & alloy drop this bullet at 380, I size them to 379 and lube with alox. Great accuracy out to 100m using Unique as the propellant powder. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't push it very hard but for my use it is very satisfactory. As a matter of fact I just bought the 2 cavity version as a back-up to my single cavity Lee mould.

Boz330
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Nice pics and interesting reading. :)

BTW - does anyone here shoot the standard Lee .375" cast bullet? I have recently got the mould, but have not yet made any casts.

Pete

I shoot it with BP and it works fine for hunting, took a doe with it last fall. My gun has a 15 twist so not the optimal bullet. The 330 Lyman shoots better but doesn't have a meplat like the Lee.

Bob

Redneck Pete
06-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Thanks for your inputs. I'll give the mould a try and report here about the results.

Pete

6pt-sika
06-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Well I have been fortunate enough to come into possesion of the whole Ranch Dog line so to speak .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0069.jpg

From left ;

30 cal 165

35 cal 180

375 cal 210

44 cal 285

45 cal 350

45 cal 420

I also have the 44-265 and 44-300 but they were not here when I took that picture .

The 30's are doing quite well as are the 35's , 44-285 and 45 -420 . The 375 is doing OK but I would like it just a tad better and I've not fired the 45-350 or the two newer 44's yet .

At some point in time all these bullets will be tried on VA whitetails . And possibly the 45 -420 will be tried on a black bear . However that bullet will most likely be half WW's and half Lino . Where as the deer bullets are all plain old air cooled WW's .

Anybody that looks at my mould accumulation will notice that I seem to have a taste for the older Lyman/Ideal moulds and that is true to a certain degree . As I have some old guns that need specific bullets and Lyman happened to be about the only one that ever made them .

However here lately most of my casting has been done with Lee moulds of the Ranch Dog design .

Personally if I had my choice I would like to see Lyman make all the Ranch Dog line in 2 and 4 banger's . And of course top punchs to fit . Thats another place that has been kinda hit and miss for me . But I have all but the 375 pretty much figured out :drinks:

6pt-sika
06-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Here are some results with the RD 375 in my Marlin 375 WIN .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0120-1.jpg

Target in upper right hand corner.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0067.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0122.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0118.jpg

And the vessel from which they were fired [smilie=1:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0113.jpg

Here are some bullets loaded up for the range . From left ;

444 Marlin with the RD 285

375 WIN with the RD 210

356 WIN with the RD 180

30-30 with the RD 165

and a 32 Long Colt loaded with a 90 grain Lyman heel bullet .

I think with the amount of effort Michael has put in his design's it is no wonder that they do as well as they do . I expect if I went to a harder alloy and pushed them a bit more my groups would tighten up a good bit . However I kinda like straight air cooled WW's :coffee: