PDA

View Full Version : Help with .32-40 Loads

CajunRebel
06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
I have C.Sharps Arms reproduction Winchester Highwall (Schuetzen) in .32-40. I was contemplating buying a Lee Factory Crimp (LFC) to ensure consistent ignition for fixed cartridge loads. Well, the real reason is lead bullets (no GC) are often falling into the loaded case (Winchester .32-40) when handled since I’m not roll crimping. Cases may even last a little longer.

With fired cases, I use a RCBS neck sizer (.319). [I also have a RCBS Cowboy expander (.320) to flare the mouth but not using it now.] For seating, I use Hornady New Dimension die with the floating in-line sleeve to align the bullet. Bullets go right in, snug, but no shaving. I guess the cases are springing back a little, like I said, bullets (sized/lubed .321) often fall back into the case, some completely. With a good grip I can pull the bullets back out.

.32-40 not being offered by Lee as standard, I have to submit a cartridge. .32-40 max overall length is 2.55. I bought a Hochs .322/200gr (~208gr) non-tapered mould. It’s the match of the tapered one they sell for breech loaders. I took several bullets, sized .321, and dropped them into the chamber and, using a cleaning rod, measured the difference between the bullet face and the breech block - for absolute maximum OAL.

Anyway, once dropped, not one of the (6) bullets were marred by the lands - just sitting there, barely held in place . The OAL measured is 2.64. Loading a bullet in an empty case, 2.64 OAL puts the bullet up to the back 1/5 of the first band (counting from the nose).

QUESTION #1: What do you think of using the Lee (LFC) for taper crimping? I read several people believe more damage than help occurs.

QUESTION #2: If I purchase the LFC, for what OAL do I want it made, e.g., 2.55 (covers first band), 2.64 (just resting on the lands and covering the back 1/5 of the first band), or adding a little more length (.006???) to have the lands slightly “bite” into the lands, (maybe 2.70 OAL).

870TC
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
You could try running your loaded rounds into a backed out/unscrewed sizing die (minus decap rod of course) to just snug the case mouth a little bit, to hold the bullets in.
Have though about going the Lee FCD route myself but have heard rumors Winchester and Starline will be running original length brass this summer.

2Tite
06-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I think you should lube the bullets without sizing them. Try pan lubeing them....321 is perhaps a ittle too small. Another option is to slightly flattten the mouth of the case between your fingertips before placing the bullets to help hold them in place. Seat them and then place the loaded round back into the sizing die with the decapping pin removed as already suggested by 870TC. That should help hold the bullets in place. I shoot a lot of 32-40 in SS rifles and think your as cast (hopefully .322) diameter may serve you better, it does me. Then try about 14gr 4227.

CajunRebel
06-16-2011, 06:20 PM
What about the OAL, 2.55 (short of lands), 2.64 (touching lands), or 2.70 (slightly into lands)?

2Tite
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd try the latter two first..............just my 2 cents about what has worked for me.

CajunRebel
06-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Thanks to everyone.[smilie=s:

Marine Sgt 2111
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Cajun, I have a Winchester '85 (Jap) in .32-40. I have been reloading both the 165gr and the 200gr Saeco tapered boolits as well as the RCBS 170gr FPGC. When I lube and size I use a .323 sizing die which really doesn't size the tapered Saeco's it just lubes them. I use RCBS cowboy dies to load with. The '85 seems to have little to no throat so I seat the boolits out so that when I close the breech the block pushes the boolit into the lands of the barrel. I also do as some suggested, I use the sizing die, without the decapper and backed way off to "iron" off the slight "flair" left on the case from bullet seating. I am shooting very mild loads (10gr of Unique) but am getting 1" or less groups at 100 yds.

CajunRebel
06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Tonight I will crack open and redo my reloads with the longer length. I have a .323 lubing die, hopefully it won't be too messy. I'll try the backed-off, neck sizing idea. Thanks everyone for your input.

Marine Sgt 2111
06-22-2011, 02:38 AM
Cajun, you will find the .32-40 to be a joy to shoot and reload for...good luck..

Gtek
06-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Slug the bore with a couple +.323. Go fwd of chamber one inch and back out. Push one all the way out muzzle. Larger boolit may fix a lot of your issues. Every chamber is to each its own. What alloy are you using? Gtek

CajunRebel
06-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Here's where I'm at... Pulled bullets, reloaded 14grs IMR4227, OAL 2.66 - just into lands, used neck sizer without decapper to "taper crimp" the cartridges. Now waiting for weather and schedule to cooperate. Will keep informed. Thanks everyone.