PDA

View Full Version : CB fireform loads

rvpilot76
01-02-2007, 04:24 AM
So I've got this 6.5 WSSM in a Pac-Nor barreled Savage that is going into barrel break-in in the next couple of weeks. Do you guys think that CB loads for the 260REM would be hot enough for fireforming? I would much rather spend the money on a mould and send some cast down the barrel than spending the money for about 300 6.5 projectiles. 264 stuff is expensive. I am also thinking that my little WSSM case would be a great candidate for cast. Time to chime in, fellas. Do you think I'm on the right track? Would that heavy 6.5 mould that someone invented here work well with a 1/8 twist? I know, it's pretty fast for cast.

Kevin

Bass Ackward
01-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Time to chime in, fellas. Do you think I'm on the right track? Kevin

Kevin,

How do I say this tactfully ...... NO! :grin:

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
01-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Am I reading you right? 300 6.5's to breakin the barrel? Whats up with that? Load some good ammo and shoot that puppy! It will shoot and settle in just fine, I believe these elaborate "breakin's do more to wear the barrel than any improvement.

26Charlie
01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
rvpilot76,
Load up your cast bullets to about 1450 f/s, using the .260 Rem or 6.5mm Swedish data, and you will find you have some accurate, fun to shoot loads. Run a thousand or so of them, and call it break in if you want. My guess is that after shooting the CB's you won't end up shooting three hundred jacketed bullets the whole time you have the rifle. If you need to hunt with the jacketed bullets, you will use five to sight in, will shoot a group of 1 on the game, then go back to the CB's so you can shoot a lot on the range. A paper target or a tin can doesn't know how fast the bullet went through it.

rvpilot76
01-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Am I reading you right? 300 6.5's to breakin the barrel? Whats up with that? Load some good ammo and shoot that puppy! It will shoot and settle in just fine, I believe these elaborate "breakin's do more to wear the barrel than any improvement.
No, not 300 to break in. Once break in is accomplished. I've got about 300 cases to fireform. I'll break the barrel in with jacketed. I'd like to shoot cast through it for the fireforming process and save the barrel the wear and tear. This is a 28" staight taper 1.055" diameter HEAVY barrel. If I can find a good cast load for it, I'd like to stretch her legs and see what she'll do at distance.

rvpilot76
01-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Kevin,

How do I say this tactfully ...... NO! :grin:

Whaddya mean? Good barrel, short case, accurate rifle, what more could a cast boolit shooter want? :-D

rvpilot76
01-03-2007, 04:04 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that this rifle is my F-Class rifle, so it will see more than just a few hundred rounds. I didn't rebarrel this thing with a Pac-Nor to be a safe queen. I'll post some photos of how she shoots when I finally put some rounds downrange.

Kevin

Bass Ackward
01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
No, not 300 to break in. Once break in is accomplished. I've got about 300 cases to fireform. I'll break the barrel in with jacketed. I'd like to shoot cast through it for the fireforming process and save the barrel the wear and tear. This is a 28" staight taper 1.055" diameter HEAVY barrel. If I can find a good cast load for it, I'd like to stretch her legs and see what she'll do at distance.

Kevin,

OK. That's different. I am holding out for a 35 WSSM. :grin: