PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil lovers have lower stroke risk - study

PatMarlin
06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/16/health-oliveoil-stroke-idUSL3E7HG05A20110616

I've been an "intensive user" for years. We cook exclusively with it.

Also note they mention help with Adult Diabetes. Something that is out of control these days.

Drop the bacon fat and use olive oil. Your Patmarlins health tip of the month... :mrgreen:

44man
06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Olive oil is great but don't tread on my bacon! [smilie=s:
I can't stop with less then a half pound! We eat real butter and drink real milk.

SharpsShooter
06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
We do the same 44man, but if it requires frying in oil, we use extra virgin olive oil. The flavor is really great! Try it.

SS

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
If cost is a concern, which it is...

You can still do the heavier frying with regular second pressing (inexpensive) olive oil, and then the light frying (like an egg, or meat) and dressing with virgin. Costco's got the best deals on olive oil.

We drink whole milk and eat butter too.

I buy organic milk as it tastes better, and we don't go through that much. In fact, I can taste the difference between brands that come out of central and southern california, vs. upper N. Cal and Oregon. The southern raised milk is horrible compared to northern farms. No kiddin'.

blackthorn
06-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Extra virgin Olive Oil--(from really ugly trees) +1

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Nothin' beats Hash browns fried in bacon grease :-D

Char-Gar
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Extra Virgin Cold Pressed olive oil is all we have used for years. I will eat some bacon from time to time, but cook it pretty crisp and remove as much grease as possible.

winelover
06-16-2011, 12:38 PM
We too use olive oil for most frying but have been hesitant to deep fry fish in it. Has anyone tried it for that application?

Winelover

DrB
06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
No, but I'm interested in the fry question too. I always use peanut oil for frying for stability and flavor, but we use gallons of olive oil a year. If I'm sauteing it's the only thing I reach for is olive oil (+butter occasionally :)).

You know, there was a serious experimental article a few years back where they fried ground meat with canola oil. It actually dissolved out a lot of cholesterol from the food... Something that could work with browning meat for dishes, I suppose.

wish I still had a source for fresh milk. Had one several years back, it was the best. A gallon of sweet milk or buttermilk didn't last long!

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Yep- can do everything with olive oil as with any oil.

We deep fry with it as well. I don't know if it will hold up any better or worse than any other oil, just know it works.

Moonie
06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Keep in mind that the smoke point and flash point are lower with extra virgin than with the lighter olive oils, and they are all olive oil. Use the right kind for the right job. Use an olive oil with a higher flash and smoke point for frying, they will also impart less flavor to the fried foods letting the foods flavor come through better.

We also use a large quantity of olive oil, mostly extra virgin.

Shooter6br
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Works good in home made bullet lube

PatMarlin
06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind that the smoke point and flash point are lower with extra virgin than with the lighter olive oils, and they are all olive oil. Use the right kind for the right job. Use an olive oil with a higher flash and smoke point for frying, they will also impart less flavor to the fried foods letting the foods flavor come through better.

We also use a large quantity of olive oil, mostly extra virgin.

Ditto +1

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-18-2011, 12:09 PM
We use Extra Virgin Olive Oil . . . really like the Kalamata version, makes really good German Potato Salad!

MT Gianni
06-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I like it as a butter subtitute on a heavy bread. It also works good on my 8" x6" bald spot.

PatMarlin
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I like it as a butter subtitute on a heavy bread. It also works good on my 8" x6" bald spot.

ANy Youtube video? ...:mrgreen:

Last night I made french fries with regular second press olive oil. Poured in about 1 1/2" oil, in a 6" diameter cast iron pot- one I use for popcorn.

Cut up 3/8" fry strips out of potatoes and deep fried em'. Works great. No smoke.

mousegun
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Makes a good light oil for percussion revolvers.
Used to be called "sweet oil" back in the day.
Fry yer eggs and lube yer piece with one trip to the store.

Changeling
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
I've been using olive oil instead of the other oils for about 10 years now( Beretoli, Extra virgin) I started because of a report that Italians showed less heart diseas and cancer than all countries!!! Get from SAM's.

I read another health report about 3 or 4 years ago that said regular olive was better for frying than Virgin or Extra virgin, however I have never tried it.

MT Gianni
06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Pat I just shine it up for photo opportunities.
As I understand it any olive oil is fine for frying. They all give you the same benefits. The Virgin and Extra Virgin oils get you better flavor when used as dressings.

shdwlkr
06-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Pat
The food the cow eats controls the taste of the milk, so could be what they are fed that gives the milk the taste difference you notice.
I can usually tell the difference in the butter fat in the milk too
dad was a Ag teacher so i got to do all kinds of things with milk as a kid growing up and worked on a dairy farm for 8 years and learned a lot you can do to make the milk taste better or worse

Geraldo
06-20-2011, 08:15 PM
While I agree that olive oil is better for you and have been using it for years, I would caution anyone who reads too much into medical studies.

First, the article said "may help" in regard to stroke (ambiguous at best, misleading at worst). That means it is not definitive. Second, the study was a large sample (good) but included "other lifestyle factors" (too many variables).

The best, repeatably proven things you can do to reduce the risk of a number of medical problems are:

-Don't ever start smoking cigarettes. If you have, quit ASAP.
-Control your weight.
-Eat healthy food.
-Exercise.

shdwlkr
06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
I have been using olive oil for a long time now I started because I wanted something different an found olive oil.
I even get the olive oil I can't believe its not butter because I like the taste
I need a strong heart and don't need a lot of health issues
I fry things in grape seed oil pretty much lately I like the way it doesn't flavor the food and it works good too
another Costco find

Charley
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
While I agree that olive oil is better for you and have been using it for years, I would caution anyone who reads too much into medical studies.

First, the article said "may help" in regard to stroke (ambiguous at best, misleading at worst). That means it is not definitive. Second, the study was a large sample (good) but included "other lifestyle factors" (too many variables).

The best, repeatably proven things you can do to reduce the risk of a number of medical problems are:

-Don't ever start smoking cigarettes. If you have, quit ASAP.
-Control your weight.
-Eat healthy food.
-Exercise.

Agree 100%. The authors of the study didn't add a disclaimer for no reason. Just look at the niacin studies...early look seemed to show a potential for lowering cholesterol...didn't happen when more targeted studies were done.

garbear
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
I thought you were going to talk about a new lube, using olive oil. I use olive oil in most of our cooking. I like to use olive oil to season new dutch ovens. the cooking part at a higher temp in olive oil does a better job of seasoning and maintaining the season on my cast iron.

Garbear

madsenshooter
06-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Extra virgin olive oil contains a compound known as hydroxytyrosol that inhibits the growth of some nasty little vermin known as mycoplasmas. They are also known as stealth pathogens. You don't even know you have them because they inhibit your immune response. Many veterans have these pathogenic vermin because of vaccines they have received. The bacteria used to make the vaccines are grown on fertilized eggs and the method used to kill said bacteria was changed in the 1940s. The method used since then kills the bacteria, but doesn't necessarily kill the mycoplasmas that are living inside them. I suspect I received a mycoplasma infection from an immunization for typhoid that the USAF gave in my little town back in 1968 after a flood. Recently killed a lot of them, and it was more fun than hunting prairie dogs as there was more of them! Extra virgin olive oil is now a part of my daily regimen to make sure I don't get them again.

PatMarlin
06-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Pat
The food the cow eats controls the taste of the milk, so could be what they are fed that gives the milk the taste difference you notice.
I can usually tell the difference in the butter fat in the milk too
dad was a Ag teacher so i got to do all kinds of things with milk as a kid growing up and worked on a dairy farm for 8 years and learned a lot you can do to make the milk taste better or worse

I was at the store today, and it's the second time they had a "S. California" organic brand and I said "Hey" what's going on here?, and proceeded to express my displeasure and the taste difference, and I wasn't going to by S. Cal milk! They said the had a problem with the supplier. I went down the street and bought an Oregon farm organic.

PatMarlin
06-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Made deep fried Olive Oil potato chips this evening. BETTER than store bought.

A non scientific note- pretty much everyone I know who use olive oil are pretty darn healthy folks.

Believe it or not! ...:mrgreen:

Three44s
06-21-2011, 01:39 AM
My wife uses a lot of olive oil and I like it.

This is off topic but a neighbor who is really into leather steered me into using olive oil on leather goods.

It does not water proof tanned leather but it sure keeps it from getting hard after being soaked.

Keep you dogs from getting to gloves treated with it however!

Three 44s

PatMarlin
06-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Speaking of dogs....

That's another use. Dogs, mine anyway love Extra Virgin dribbled on their food. It is a natural Ibuprofen, and specially beneficial for pooches with hip or joint ailments. I think it's just as good for dogs as us.

a.squibload
06-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Pat, I have to admit when I read "Olive oil lovers..." I wondered what is this forum coming to?
Too many movies maybe.

We use olive oil for cooking, does a good job popping popcorn.
I've used it to fight rust on the smoker/grill cover, don't want petroleum oil near the food.
A light coating of olive oil helps stick the seasonings to a cut of meat.

madsenshooter
06-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Hip or joint ailments, good note there. I was 11 years old when they put these vermin in me, lets see, that's what 4th grade? By the 9th grade my shoulders were falling out of joint, knuckles and neck vertebrae cracked, and my wrist popped as I rotated it around. And it hurt like hell. I was around older people who complained of such pain, just thought it was normal. I went to a chiropractor when I was in my 30s he told me my lower disk looked like someone that was in their 80s. Avian mycoplasmas we've gotten from vaccines are the source of a lot of ailments. Arthritis, auto-immune disorders, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and more, in some cases, even cancers. Olive oil helps with all of them. I don't imagine the heat of cooking does the hydroxytyrosol any good, though I haven't confirmed that. Something to look up tmrw.

I was digging around the other day online and ran across an article in the European Journal of Cancer. It was about various fatty acids. Here in the US they're pushing the high Omega 6 fatty acids, as being anti-inflammatory, and therefore heart healthy. In Europe they're looking at the Omega 6's as a possible cancer causing agent. If you stop inflammation, things like these mycoplasmas can creep in and there's no inflammation to let you know you have them! It isn't the Omega 6 fatty acids that cause the cancer, it's these little vermin that you don't even know you have!

Beware posting things that deal with nutrition, that's my specialty.

JIMinPHX
06-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Yep- can do everything with olive oil as with any oil.

We deep fry with it as well. I don't know if it will hold up any better or worse than any other oil, just know it works.

I seem to remember that my brother in law likes to fry in peanut oil because it lets him use a higher temperature. Other than that, Olive oil is my favorite too.

When my father was in the hospital getting heart surgery, a nurse came by & explained the different types of oils. Olive oil was the best. Just below that were the other mono-unsaturated oils. I don't remember which other oils fell into that category. Taking up the middle ground were the poly unsaturated oils. The worst ones were the saturated type. My terminology may be a tad off. It was a while ago & once she said that olive oil was the best one, I sort of didn't pay attention as well anymore after that.

When I was over in Italy, I was told that, over there, even McDonalds uses olive oil to fry their french fries. Everything seems to taste a little better in that neck of the woods. Perhaps olive oil is one reason why.

madsenshooter
06-21-2011, 05:03 AM
And in all honesty, butter and lard aren't the really bad things we've been told. Especially not butter, a lot of what are termed saturated fats in it are medium chain triglycerides. They are an energy source that is nearly as available as carbohydrates. One of the medium chain triglycerides in butter is lauric acid, which also effectively inhibits the growth of mycoplasmas (hereafter referred to simply as, "the vermin"). The case for lard is the fact that it doesn't have any trans-fatty acids. They are a type of fatty acid not found in nature, and really bad. I hope the guy that came up the idea to solidify oils by adding hydrogen ate a lot of it!

Wayne Smith
06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
I use a lot of olive oil, bake with it, cook with it, put it on salads, bread, etc. My only problem is that it is thin enough to soak through my cast iron fry pans. Because of that I use grape seed oil to fry in, or canola oil. Just made wheatless, milkless pancakes with nectarine cut up in them for breakfast. Made with olive oil, cooked in grape seed oil.

Geraldo
06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Made deep fried Olive Oil potato chips this evening. BETTER than store bought.

A non scientific note- pretty much everyone I know who use olive oil are pretty darn healthy folks.

Believe it or not! ...:mrgreen:

Were these people you know healthy to begin with, or did they become healthier by using olive oil for cooking? Maybe they began exercising when they started using olive oil, so you would have to eliminate exercise as a factor.

You aren't claiming to have done a study, you made an observation that might be true. The problem in medicine is that there is always someone behind the study, meaning that if I own an olive oil company and fund a study, the study can be done in such a way that the data supports the use of my product. Happens all the time, but the news doesn't report anything other than the conclusion. Isn't science fun?

Not being a fan of olives, I prefer the extra light oil as it has less taste. ;)

madsenshooter
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
The extra light olive oils have a lot less of the beneficial polyphenols. Extra virgin has the most.

JIMinPHX
06-22-2011, 03:46 AM
And in all honesty, butter and lard aren't the really bad things we've been told. Especially not butter,

Actually, margarine is probably the worst thing for you. It's basically a low grade oil that has been "hardened" with styrene. That's right, the junk that has been pushed as a "healthy alternative" to butter is a mixture of oil & plastic. ...just what a growing boy needs (not).

madsenshooter
06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Have you read your bread label lately? It's very hard to find a loaf that doesn't contain azidocarbamide. That's the stuff they use to give foam rubber its sponginess. It's used so that the bakers don't have to wait for the yeast to raise the loaves. The chemical has been banned in several countries, but not here where we have the FDA watching out for our health.