PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean after shooting?

selmerfan
06-14-2011, 11:25 PM
So I was out with my girls last Friday shooting. They were ringing steel with the .22 Crickett rifles and I was shooting my first cast loads through my .308 Win FN PBR XP rifle. I didn't have time to clean after the session. I ran about 40 rounds through the .308 Win. My last group fired was the best, under 1" at 50 yds (yeah, yeah, I need to post pics). I had it out of the case tonight, could see a little gray was in the last couple inches of the barrel, otherwise it appears clean. I normally don't clean a barrel until accuracy drops off, and I had the thought that maybe I had just gotten the bore into good shooting condition with my last group. This gun is a constant sub-MOA shooter with jacketed loads, and I expect good things with cast. I have applied Ultra Bore Coat to this bore, just like all of my other centerfire rifles. (It's the real deal) So, do you clean after every session, or just after accuracy drops off? There is no visible leading in the bore, just a little minor fouling.

geargnasher
06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Like everything else, it depends. I have some rifles that I strive to NEVER clean the barrels, and with certain powders and lubes there is no need unless it's a humid time of year. to me, an ideal load maintains an even, consistent level of fouling from the second shot through the five-hundredth. Often I just dry-patch to get the soot out after a shoot so it won't absorb moisture. I did have a surprise rust attack on two very seasoned barrels stored for about a month uncleaned, both had fired a load of 748 last before being put away, and it was old powder, sort of a freak occurance in my experience.

All my pistols get scrubbed out with a Nylon brush and Ed's Red after shooting, the accuracy difference from a first-shot clean barrel isn't significant for most of the handgun shooting I do.

Gear

Gtek
06-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Hot, Humid Florida. I lost a really good shooter one time because of rust. I now live with a couple fouler shots is cheaper than a new tube. #9 or Ed's depending on which bang stick. Gtek

RobS
06-15-2011, 01:20 AM
I'll clean the bore with a dry patch and then run a patch of Ed's Red down the bore if I'm not going to shoot again in over a week or twos time.

cbrick
06-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Like everything else, it all depends. My long range competition revolver rarely gets cleaned, often 600-800 rounds through it and accuracy is still good. If I have a major match coming up I may clean the bore a month or two beforehand and then fire at least two 40 round matches to foul the bore. It groups better with at least 50 fouling shots, even the long range sight settings will change with a sqeeky clean bore. Then return to normal and stays consistent with about 50 foulers. That's speaking of the bore, the cylinder & locking parts get cleaned every time its fired so lube fouling doesn't build up.

My 308 rifle will get a dry bore brush and then a wet & then dry patch after each firing, that could be 50 or 200 rounds. The patches get nothing but some powder fouling & the bore scope says its clean. If you don't really, really want to know whats in your bore never ever look at with a bore scope.

The hardest leading to see with the naked eye looking into a bore is leading that follows the trailing edge of the rifling (gas leakage from uneven rifling width) & this will build up until you do see it with the naked eye, by then its tough to clean out.

Some get cleaned & oiled when they get home just because they won't be fired for some time.

So, like everything else, it all depends.

Rick

noylj
06-15-2011, 03:11 AM
If I am shooting a new cast boolit or using a new lube, I will take the gun home and clean it to see if it is leading and how.
Other than that, I clean if the gun acts up or accuracy drops.
Never lived in an overly humid climate, so rust has never been a concern.
I have several .22 pistols and rifles that have never had the barrel cleaned and don't expect them to even need cleaning.
The guns I clean the most are 9mms since I shot lead and jacketed and clean in between.
Storing in a low humidity environment is more important than cleaning.

MtGun44
06-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Unless it is corrosive ammo, generally, no. I will check and see if a new cast load is
doing OK, but I almost never get any leading, even with new loads, so cleaning is totally
'condition based'. Seems like the .22 RF semiautos get the most crud buildup, and my
IPSC competition 1911 gets cleaned about every 6 months (2-3 thousand rounds+) or so,
"whether it needs it or not".

Try to rarely clean my Swiss rifle competition K31, want to keep the bore in constant
condition.

Bill

btroj
06-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I clean my recovers when they need it. Sticky extraction is usually what tells me it is time. This may be after 1000 to 2000 rounds and the buildup of gunk on the end of the chambers is getting bad at that point.
My Lever actions get cleaned when the action starts to look pretty gunked up. This may be well over 500 rounds between.

I just don't see the point in spending ALOT of time cleaning barrels that don't require the cleaning. If I had a rifle or handgun that liked a clean barrel then by all means I would do it.

Like the others said, it all depends.

white eagle
06-15-2011, 10:32 AM
after every use

Lizard333
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I have to admit I do a cleaning after every shooting. I can't stand the way my pistols look after shooting cast. Maybe I'm anal but I need to know that every firearm I own is cleaned, and ready to use in a moments notice. I don't shoot competition though, so it isn't a concern about having a barrel that is already shooting in it's "sweet" spot. My family is all ex military and that is what I was taught. It will be what I teach my two sons as well.

Doc Highwall
06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I did a test with the Bull Shops NASA lube in my Remington 40X with a 27.25" barrel.
I cleaned it the first time to check for leading issues, then I cleaned it after 100 shots, then after 200 shots, and again after 300 shots. NEVER I REPEAT NEVER any leading and great accuracy ALL THE TIME.

How long will it shoot like this I am still working on it. With out any cleaning of the barrel what so ever, not even a patch down the barrel, just wipe of the outside and grease the locking lugs and cocking cam every 100 rounds. Looking through the barrel it looks like I only shot one shot through it. The accuracy is 2" or better at 300 yards if I read the conditions right.

Shooting this is like shooting a 22 rf as far a cleaning is concerned.

ColColt
06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I guess my old Army days kick in when it comes to cleaning weapons. As many probably know, we'd get a royal a** chewing, mess hall duty, weekend passes pulled and a series of pushups if that weapon wasn't spotless and I suppose all that training stuck with me. It matters not if it's a rifle or handgun-if it gets shot, it gets cleaned the same day whether I shot ten or 200 rounds.

H110
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
IMHO a dirty gun is a no no. I was raised to clean them after you use them. I cringe at the thought of a rusted and pitted bore. I wish I were different because I love to shoot em and hate to clean em.

jrhoney
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
With me, my firearms are cleaned every time after use. I don't care if it only had 1 round down the pipe. I enjoy cleaning them. In fact, I do believe they are the cleanest things in my house! Plus Hoppes #9 makes my office smell fantastic.

nwellons
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
99% of what I shoot is either corrosive surplus or black powder cartridge so of course I clean at the end of every shooting day.

But I rarely clean my .22s.

MtGun44
06-16-2011, 04:50 PM
I too cringe at a rusted and pitted bore. However, modern ammo will NOT do this.
Only corrosive ammo, now only from Soviet states and surplus old military ammo is
corrosive.

As long as you are loading your own with USA components, no bore rusting will occur.

Bill

pdawg_shooter
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes! Every time!

Von Gruff
06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
In the rifles I only shoot cast through they get cleaned every 50 rounds or so (and this maybe every outing) with ER but my rabbit rifle in 20 VarTarg gets a good clean with BoreTech every outing if there has been more than 10 rounds fired.

Von Gruff.

atr
06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
at the range ,,,while the barrel is still warm/hot....I run a patch with #9 ....then finish cleaning more when I get home.....so yes I would say I clean every time.....usually about a 40 round shoot each time I go out

Shooter6br
06-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Had benchrest guns with Hart and Shilon barrels If i cleaned them The next time out they where on target. No fouling shoots. Most guns need to be "fouled" to settle down. If my gun shoots good with cast and i plan to go to the range in a week or so i dont clean the barrel.

jmsj
06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I try to not have to clean the guns that I shoot cast with. After learning about fit, alloy and lubing cast boolits here, once I get a load figured out I do not have to clean my guns very often. I actually have to clean the rifles that I shoot jacketed bullets in more.
Our humidity is relatively low here and it sounds like we don't have the rust issues that other areas have. I check my bores before and after I shoot. Usually the extent of cleaning I have to do (after I get a load figured out) is pushing a tight fitting patch down the bore to clean out the soot.
My wife brought me her gun and asked me to clean it for her last week. I asked her when the last time she clean it was and she told me "the last time you cleaned it". I told her that was over 2 years ago (2000+ rounds). The outside was sooty from using Bullseye powder but a couple of tight fitting dry patches and the bore was good.
jmsj

reloader28
06-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I think it might depend on the gun.
I never clean mine unless they are nasty or losing accuracy. If they are not, why bother if theres no lead in the barrel?
But, I live in a dry spot with very little humidity.

mroliver77
06-17-2011, 01:42 AM
I don't like shoving things through my guns barrel aside from boolits/bullets. I clean when storing a gun or putting it up for a while. If it is being used frequently it will get wiped down with ER if it is humid. If wet season I will run 1 dry and one ER patch through barrel. One dry patch before shooting and we are ready to go! Rust is my main enemy here. I did not have any lanolin one time so I added some alox to my ER. It was cloudy but worked well. Alox or lanolin make a great barrel protector. I like ti keep a Hoppes bottle with ER and lanolin for a last wet patch before putting away. Long term gets a patch of alox.
Jay

rintinglen
06-17-2011, 01:46 AM
I too cringe at a rusted and pitted bore. However, modern ammo will NOT do this.
Only corrosive ammo, now only from Soviet states and surplus old military ammo is
corrosive.

As long as you are loading your own with USA components, no bore rusting will occur.

Bill

I live about two miles inland fron the ocean. Modern ammo will attract moisture and will rust a bore. Not as effectively or as swiftly as the old primers did, nor as quickly as black powder, but an uncleaned gun will develop rust, sigh. Ask me how I know and I can only reply experience is a hard teacher!

:cry::cry:

Bass Ackward
06-17-2011, 06:54 AM
The decision to not clean is not because of chemistry or science. It is based upon experience and history. (hopefully not laziness)

Problem is, rust is a result of the future. Unless you can not only predict but control the future in each and every case, (weather, problems, time allocation for new interests) you are subject to the penalty.

I run the risk on some handguns, but rifles or anything stored get cleaned.

H110
06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Well put Bass Ackward. There in lies the problem, You may not have a rusting issue for 20 years Etc. and then one day there it is. You cannot predict it with 100% accuracy, however you should take every precaution to prevent it. Clean and oil guns frequently.

Blammer
06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
if someone could design some "cleaning ammo'' something you shoot at the end of your shooting session that would clean the bore, that would be great! :)

H110
06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I second that. Would work for me.

Doc Highwall
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM
If I get caught in the rain I always clean my gun, but if it was nice and dry a good wipe down with a silicone cloth and stored in a safe with a dehumidifier.

Guns that only have jacketed bullets shot in them get cleaned every 100-200 rounds depending on number of rounds for the match.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I clean my guns every winter. Last winter was not a winter. I shoot Colt single action revolvers which work fine dirty. If I clean them they just get dirty again after the first shot. They look horrible after shooting but all the crud just wipes away easy with a brush and rag so why bother. I use Alox lube and Alliant powders and I tumble my brass after each use. Jacketed bullets were prohibited in Colt pistols by a commandant Moses received on Mount Horeb. My hosters got dirty the first time I used them so what is the point of cleaning the pistol. There is a layer of grim inside the holsters which seems to make drawing and reholstering maybe a little easier.

MT Gianni
06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I believe that more bbls have been ruined by too frequent (improper) cleaning than by shooting. I let my guns tell me unless they have been in a humid environment.

XWrench3
06-20-2011, 09:26 PM
i clean everything all the time. there have been times when it has been a day or even two before i get it clean, but i almost always have time to run a patch with something on it to start the process, and keep the moisture out. i don't live in a super humid area, but it can be bad at times. plus the fact that i have a lake within 200 yards of me on 2 sides, can not help matters. i do not know about the ultra bore coat. but unless it completely seals all of the metal against all water intrusion, from muzzle to chamber. the barrel can and still, and will rust. i am not willing to take that chance.

Bullwolf
06-21-2011, 12:49 AM
For better or for worse, I was taught as a child that you clean your guns after each shooting session.

The lesson sort of stuck with me.

Because of that I clean my guns after every shooting session, and I might be just a bit anal retentive about it too.

If conditions were especially bad (rain, humidity etc.) I will also wipe down the outside of the gun with a silicone cloth.

I will also go over my guns in the safe around Winter time, and run an oil soaked patch through the barrels.

I try to make a point of doing this especially on the guns with vintage, or older blued steel barrels.

- Bullwolf

milprileb
06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
My weapons are combat ready. I keep them that way. THey are clean and maintained always.

I was taught that by the old man (career soldier 32 yrs) and I have always done that (I was a career soldier 30 yrs) and I won't change.

Be it civilian life or for active duty purposes, a weapon fired is cleaned always.

You run them dirty and you condone lack of maintenance and you take your risks.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Maybe a lack of cleaning is why I have such problems with my Colt single action revolvers. One mainspring broke after 20 years of heavy use and one hammer pawl spring broke after about 20 years. The Colt revolvers were puchased in 1982 many more have been purchased since. During their annual cleaning the metal shows no sign of wear. Carbon steel vs. lead could be compared to rock vs. paper. As far as being combat ready, there have been no Indian uprisings, no stage coach robberies, and I have not been defeated in a single high noon on main street challenge. When paper or a steel target needs to be hit, the Colt revolvers have not failed.

offshore44
06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Cleaned after every time out, or at least within 24 hours. That was pounded into my head by
Grandad, Dad and the US Navy. It's just a habit now. There are a lot of good rifles that have died a premature death because of cleaning though, and that has to be part of the equation. I also know of one semi-auto gas operated rifle that has close to 15,000 rounds, or more, of military surplus ammo shot through it with no failures and pretty consistent accuracy.

I'll keep cleaning and inspecting mine after every trip, shot or not.

kelbro
06-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Sort of... I dribble some CLP or Ballistol on a boresnake and run it through the bore and each hole of the cylinder and then wipe the exposed metal down with a rag wetted with either the CLP or Ballistol. A dab of grease here and there every now and then.

kelbro
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I also know of one semi-auto gas operated rifle that has close to 15,000 rounds, or more, of military surplus ammo shot through it with no failures and pretty consistent accuracy.

Not advocating this, it is just a test that I am running. I have an AR15 that is now at over 5K rounds and has not been cleaned. No issues at all.

Silver Jack Hammer
08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Finally had a Colt SAA fail for lack of cleaning. After about a year of heavy shooting it did jam up. It got real hard to cock back on the hammer. I just grabbed another gun to finish the day. At home I cleaned the face of the cylinder and barrel. Still hard to cock the hammer. Next I cleaned the cylinder base pin real good, nope, still hard to cock the hammer. Finally I cleaned the notch in the recoil shield of the frame where the pawl comes up to rotated the cylinder. Yup, that's where it was hanging up at. A bunch, like about a years worth of Alox, cheap wheelweight lead and powder fouling. All the powder was Alliant of some sort or another, Bullseye, 2400, Blue Dot, Unique. Cleaned the rest of the gun, the bore cleaned right up with only about 12 strokes of a bronze brush a few passes of Hoppe's #9 soaked on a patch on a jag of the proper diameter. This was a .45. Now I know how far a Colt can go, but the pistol still worked. It just didn't work very well.

08-31-2011, 05:02 PM
I swab 'em with Kroil when they are still warm from the range. Let 'em set until I get home and do a proper cleaning. Has always worked for me.

largom
08-31-2011, 05:16 PM
corrosive.

Bill

Have to disagree Bill. I have seen many, many guns stored in a damp basement, garage, even the attic that were almost destroyed by rust.

Larry

jakharath
08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
I clean after shooting. My 1911's get taken down to individual parts, cleaned and put back together.

mac60
08-31-2011, 08:18 PM
In the words of ol' painless - "I can't sleep with a dirty gun in the house".

MikeS
08-31-2011, 11:50 PM
After shooting any of my guns, I will run a boresnake down the barrel a few times (with some kroil on it by the brass brush portion) and wipe down the external parts, and that's about all I do. So far it's worked for me.

TXGunNut
09-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I have a stainless Ruger hunting rifle that won't shoot with a clean bore; drives me nuts. :veryconfu I just wipe it down, put it away. Old PPC revolvers went for years without cleaning the bores but I always cleaned the cylinders and forcing cones. All the rest, except .22 rifles, get cleaned thoroughly after firing.

superior
09-01-2011, 10:16 PM
My jword rifles stay in the safe cleaned and lubed. They rarely come out if at all. My cast shooters get wiped down with an oily cloth after a pulthrough with ATF on a patch, pulled by a length of weed-eater string. Atf is a solvent based lubricant and seems to have a cleaning effect while the gun sits, waiting for the next session. All moving parts get lubricated with an oil dropper of ATF also. This procedure has kept my guns sparkling clean throughout the years, and I feel that my accuracy with cast has been maintained through the preservation of their bore condition. Just a quick pullthrough with a dry patch before firing, and "away we go".

That'll Do
09-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I used to clean my pistols after each shooting, but after not cleaning them a few times, and seeing that they still shot just fine, I only clean every 500 rounds or so. All I do is add lube to the autoloaders between cleaning. The revolvers just get a quick wipe down on the cylinder.

I don't shoot cast in my rifles, but my two 16" AR-15s get cleaned every 1000 rounds. I don't notice any decrease in accuracy not cleaning every outing. All I do is keep the gun well lubricated between cleanings.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought you meant wiping the throwaway down...

silly me,

Rich

PS: Yes I do, with the exception of 22rf

metweezer
09-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I only have handguns and they get cleaned after every range visit. As a matter of fact, they get cleaned the same day. I am retired so I have the time to do that. Plus it is part of the ritual. My range day is not over until my pieces are all cleaned and ready for the next visit. Call it therapy if you wish. Quiet time with me and my pals. :Fire:

xdmikey
09-04-2011, 08:09 PM
as many before me have said, my shooting session is over when the guns are clean/stored.

Me not you
09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
It gets humid where I live, so firearms get a film of oil (Breakfree or Ed's Red) in the barrel and wiped down after use. I have no facilities for benchrest shooting (prone leaves me crawling with ticks) so pinpoint accuracy is not a huge concern. The rifles get a disassembly and thorough cleaning if caught in the rain, or after a lot of shooting; based on condition.