PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 338001

hansumtoad
06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Anyone have any dope or experience with this mould?

hansumtoad
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Whoops.... typo on my part, sorry. 338301 225 grains with 20:1 and drops at .3365". maybe a candidate for the .333 OKH?

Any thoughts, gents?

hansumtoad
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Bump one time and one time only. Dont mean to bother anyone, just want to share info if you have it.

NHlever
06-15-2011, 08:12 PM
For some reason, the .338 bore size gets bypassed when it comes to cast bullets. We had better change that since it seems that today's .338, be it Marlin, Ruger, or one of the old classics is going to replace the .35 caliber. I think that is kind of sad. Anyway, I don't have any exeperience with that mold, and I suspect few others do either, and that is probably the reason for the poor response to your post.

Green Frog
06-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Bump one time and one time only. Dont mean to bother anyone, just want to share info if you have it.

I believe that was one of the bullets that I breech seated in an original Winchester high-wall that had been rebored from .32-40 to .338 with a 1 in 16 twist by Secrist. I really didn't shoot it all that much and since the chamber had never been opened up for the larger throat, the only way I could shoot it was with the bullet seated in front of the case. As I hoped, it showed initial promise, but other projects and life in general got in the way, and the rifle got pushed to the back of the stove and eventually sold. :cry:

Froggie

PS The complete "conversion" listed above was popular in the old schuetzen days to fresh out a barrel that had been shot a lot. It was thought that the steel of such a barrel had been "stabilized" by the pounding of much shooting and gave much more consistent results. "You pays your money..."