PDA

View Full Version : Help , seating boolits!

RU shooter
01-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Heres the trouble , I lubed up some boolits with LLA as per the instructions and I really like it, its easy to apply ,But when i go to seat them in my 54R die the boolit is getting stuck up in the neck part of the die ?pull the handle back down to find just a empty case is not cool:( whats the fix? should I dip lube the boolit instead of rolling it around in a container of that snot lookin stuff or is there anyway around this problem, I have read alot of you guys use LLA did you have this problem too? TIA.............RU

MT Gianni
01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Another of the joys of liquid frog snot. You can take rubbing alcohol and a cotton rag and wipe off the tips of the bullets before you load them. You will have to clean your dies regularly with most lubes but IME much more often with LLA. You can go to the expense of a lubrisizer and debate hard vs soft lubes. I prefer the lube sizer but when I use LLA I wipe the boolits down so that no lube is outside the case. Gianni.

waksupi
01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
you might try lowering the die a bit, to get a slight crimp, to hold the bullet in place.

Ricochet
01-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh, I HATE getting LLA lubed boolits pulled back out of the case by the seating die. Happens a lot when I use it. Not so much with Johnson's Paste Wax or White Lightning.

1Shirt
01-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Gianni has it right. Try the wifes hair dryer for awhile on the mule snot noses until it hardens quite hard. It helps along with wiping them.
1shirt!

mooman76
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I lay mine out in the garage and use a fan to blow dry them. I also usually go out a couple times and stir the bullets around so all sides dry. I haven't had the problem of them sticking inside the die.

Bent Ramrod
01-02-2007, 02:14 PM
I've had the same problem with lubrisized bullets, and it seems to occur more in certain seating dies than others. Had a particularly exasperating session with my .30 Remington set just yesterday. As MT Gianni says, cleanliness is one of the major keys to success, and you might have to wipe out the die every ten shells if it's particularly bad. A little lube on the nose (or even on the bearing surfaces) seems to squeeze up into the seating stem and glue the bullet there. I polished the seating stem but it does not seem to help. Maybe I should polish my "M" die down slightly for a better grip of the case neck on the bullet(?)

My solution was to throw the seating die back in the box and use a .30 Saeco Stubby Die for seating. There does not seem to be enough space up in one of those to grip a bullet tighter than the neck of the case. If you can find these on the used market, they can pull the occasional job out of the fire quite handily.

Ricochet, thanks for the tip on the Johnson's Paste Wax. I'll have to try that.

Ricochet
01-02-2007, 09:24 PM
If you want to use JPW, I suggest this method:

Shortly before loading, open your can of JPW (or pop the lid open and lay it back over the can to cover it, but not allow pressurization), and gently melt it on low heat. Be very careful as it contains mineral spirits and emits highly flammable fumes when heated. Take the boolits you're about to load by the noses and dip them in the molten wax up to the bottom of the ogive for two seconds. one thousand one, one thousand two Stand them aside till you load them up; don't let the JPW dry out fully before loading as it gets flaky and comes off the sides. It works better soft. After they're loaded, warm the JPW back up, take the loaded cartridges and dip the boolit noses up to the case mouth in the wax again for two seconds each. Let that dry. Avoids any lube sticking in the die. The fully dried JPW on the boolit noses isn't messy to handle and doesn't pick up dirt. Stays on well during loading in bolt action rifles. It does come off in the bore on firing and helps lubricate the boolit.