PDA

View Full Version : 1911 holster help

db2
01-01-2007, 07:11 PM
A few months back I bought a 1911 style handgun. I also bought a holster for it. It is the type that clips on your belt. Well, I hate it. It slides around and, I do not like the feel of it. So, what kind, and make of holsters do you like? This is not for concealed carry. I am just overwhelmed by how many choices there are. I am hoping to find a good holster with out buying 5 different ones.

Thanks
db2

MT Gianni
01-01-2007, 08:49 PM
There are literally hundreds. I have had good luck with Safariland leather. I prefer a thumbbreak, but everyone is different. You might check out a similar thread for a holster that includes a linc for a holster maker in AK. His look quality made and a fair price but I have no experience there. Gianni.

Lee W
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.heinie.com/leather.html

I have the 701 model. Very nice.
It is made by Lou Alessi, his site is not working for me today.

alessileather.com

Char-Gar
01-01-2007, 09:27 PM
I suspect you will get many different suggestions as holster are a personal sorta thing. When ever I need a new holster, I go to El Paso Saddlery. They offer many different styles and their work is superlative on all of them. You can google up their web address.

My personal favorties are their 1920 (Threepersons) belt holster and their 1942 chest/shoulder holster.

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Here's the link MT Gianni is talking about. Rob's work is top notch!!

http://http://www.simplyrugged.com/

I have one of his pancakes for my S&W 19, and just love it! I will be ordering from him in the future when the need arises for other holsters. He also is a top notch gentleman to deal with.

Murphy
01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
db2,

As stated above, there are 100's of designs for 1911 holsters.

In my own humble opinion, it pretty much depends on several things.

A persons build is the first thing to take into consideration. This is why holsters may seem to suit some just perfectly, while others despise the same design.

While I would dearly love to be able to wear a good shoulder holster from time to time, my build just doesn't work well with it. Barrel chest's and short arms don't work well with shoulder rigs.

It's usually hard to find fault in a good pancake style holster. Just do a search for 'pancake holster' online and you'll find tons to choose from and many various prices and options.

Hope this is of some help and good luck on your search for a holster.

Murphy

P.S. By all means check out www.simplyrugged.com ....fine fella and a great product.

redneckdan
01-02-2007, 01:03 AM
For concealed carry I like my milt sparks summer special. For woods work I have been using a blackhawk industries omega thigh holster. when I had the summer special made, I requested that the holster not be molded into the ejection port, I feel that the way the gun shaves leather from this area is not exactly condusive to holster life nor gun reliability.

Wildcat
01-02-2007, 02:11 AM
For inside the pants, Milt Sparks is hard to beat. For concealed carry on my belt, I like the Askins Avenger as produced by Bianchi.

db2
01-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys for the help. Now to make a decision. :)
db2

dk17hmr
01-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I personally like my drop-leg holster. I wore it when I was bow hunting Bear this past fall. Drop my right hand down and I have the pistol in my hand. Its comfortable, I can run with it and not worry about my pistol flying out, and I can draw fast.

Black Hawk makes a very good drop leg, the troops are using them right now in the sand box.

ebner glocken
01-04-2007, 04:21 PM
My personal prefrence (outside of a local guy here that makes them) is the galco "miami classic" for a shoulder rig and the galco "FETCH high ride". Both of them are high enough to sit comfortable w/o a full size govt. model pushing you up from the car seat and out enough to keep from stickin ya in the ribs. As stated before it really depends on how your built. Someone with a pot belly would probably not like either.

Topper
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.krtraining.com/FAQs/schaefer.html

Although you may have to wait a while to get one of Tom's hoslters, the workmanship is first class.

C1PNR
01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I've been using a Bianchi #19/L (lined) for many years. It rides high, gives a nice forward slant, and it's thumb break for excellent retention and pretty decent "brush," etc., protection while in the woods.

There are a LOT of quality holster makers and you owe it to yourself to look at as many of them as you can, if you want to avoid a "drawer full" of also rans.[smilie=1:

Just google holsters.

Slowpoke
01-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I've been using a Bianchi #19/L (lined) for many years. It rides high, gives a nice forward slant, and it's thumb break for excellent retention and pretty decent "brush," etc., protection while in the woods.

There are a LOT of quality holster makers and you owe it to yourself to look at as many of them as you can, if you want to avoid a "drawer full" of also rans.[smilie=1:

Just google holsters.

I have been using the same 19 since 1990, like you say great holster, I have been forced to swim three times with it and it still holds it shape.

I remember right after i bought it me and a buddy were out doing a little prospecting in S AZ we had been up in the hills most of the day and were heading back to camp which was about 6 miles away out across some flat ass country, it was about 100 * out and after about 4 miles we came to a big sand wash that had some large Mesquites that threw some nice dark shade, we slipped our packs and just collapsed in the nice cool shade and sand, after about 10 minutes it dawned on me that my 45 and holster were buried in the cool sand and that was the lump I kept feeling after wiggling around trying to get comfortable, my buddy thought it was quite funny.

good luck

Kraschenbirn
01-06-2007, 01:00 AM
For belt carry in the woods or back-packing, I've like my Uncle Mike's "Sidekick." Yeah, it's ballistic nylon instead of leather, but it keeps the gun where it belongs in case I take an fall and the padding protects the piece from scrapes and debris as well. For those occasions that require a less obtrusive carry, I use a (Bianchi) "Askins Avenger" that I bought about 30 years along with my first lightweight Commander.

Bill

BD
01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
I carry either of a 4" or 5" kimber in the Milt Sparks Versa max II. Now, this is an IWB holster, but it is so comfortable and fast to draw from that I use the same rig for carrry, IDPA and hunting. If I've got a 1911 on, I'm generally wearing this rig. You learn to pull the gun as naturally as you'd bring out your wallet, and it's hard for anyone looking at you to tell which you'll come up with. The only exception would be a cold weather IDPA match way up north if I've got on 10 layers of clothes and a parka, (then I wear kydex just to "game" the match a bit). Don't overlook the importance of a good belt, and practice. A good belt is probably more important than the particular holster, and practice is what makes it all work, whether for hunting or social purposes.

A Max Con IV is essentially the same setup.

BD

Tristan
01-11-2007, 03:35 AM
I suggest you check out:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

His designs and workmanship are top-notch.

I'm not affiliated in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

- Tristan

bruce drake
08-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I've used a Uncle Mike's Sidekick for a long time. The pistol stays in place on your hip and the holster won't break your bank either.

If you are just looking for a holster to hold it while you head to the range. Buy yourself an old GI Duty belt and a GI Issue flap holster. The pistol will be protected in your range bag and you can buckle it on to walk down range with it to check your targets.

I'm of the firm opinion that unless you wear the gear for work, you don't need to look like a super-trooper to go put bullets into a paper target. How often do you see an electrician or a plumber needing a drop-leg holster?

I own a Blackhawk Drop-leg and a leather M7 Shoulder holster. Both work well but neither are conducive to wearing while driving to the pistol range at the shooting club.

My range gear is simply utilitarian in design but they work. I save my fancy gear for my job.

Bruce

Piedmont
08-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm getting where I prefer some kind of pancake with relatively widely spaced belt loops when carrying a fairly heavy handgun. My 1911 lives in a Milt Sparks Ibak. It is comfortable, simple, and well made.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Yep, give Rob at Simply Rugged a try.

Used to shoot a bit with him, and talked a bunch over the counter of the gun shop he worked at, Then he ups and moved :cry: and now we just e-mail once in awhile

He has done some work for me, and he will surely do his best to please you.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Mk42gunner
08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
I like the Askins Avenger from Bianchi, I wore one for a several years and it can be locked in place with a belt loop.

There is a lot to what Bruce Drake said also, I wish I had saved a few of the leather holsters when my various ships and shore commands switched over to the M9. By the way if you try to use a Biachi UM84 holster for a 1911 without modifying it the gun will fall out. To fix this poke a hole about 1/4" above where the welt comes together and use a small ziptie or piece of wire.

Robert

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
If your dealing with a Leather holster, and - just my opinion - not the hoky plastic/cordura junk, just reform the holster to fit what you have.

Unless your holster is one which had steel between the layers, Soak it in HOT water, oil your firearm and wrap in plastic wrap, insert the gun into the holster and then start working the leather into forming to the shape of your current gun.

Allow to dry and then grease it up, lots of grease, and enjoy.

I like to use a hair dryer on the leather, but be careful not to damage the leather by over heating.

If you over heat, the grease won't soak in and the leather will be brittle as a cracker.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Geraldo
08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I like Blade-tec kydex, and I've used their belt slide and IWB without any complaints. You also won't be disappointed with leather from Kramer. I had a couple of their belt scabbards and the only downside was the cost.

Whatever holster you get, remember that it takes a good gun belt to hold it up. You don't have to go overboard, but you need a belt that is stiff enough that the rig doesn't flop around.

flounderman
08-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I wish more people felt like you. I have 2, new jay-pee leather flap holsters that fit a 1911 and I haven't been able to get anyone interested in them.

DLCTEX
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Galco thumb break has been top notch for me for 15 years. I like the added safety the thumb break provides.

Lloyd Smale
08-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I like the hybrid iwb holsters for ccw carry.

Shooter
08-11-2010, 08:33 AM
You are going to end up with a drawer full of holsters before you find the ones you like.:-D
My favorites are:
GI duty belt
Fobus plastic (Low dollar, top choice)
Bianchi 100 professional (concealment)
Bianchi X-15 shoulder

uncle joe
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
fobus makes some really good inexpensive paddle holsters that go over the belt and pants and have a red plastic of some king that keep them secure, about 20 bucks iirc
http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/Standard_Holsters-16-1.html

Trey45
08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I use a Wilson Combat Practical TA1 Holster for my 1911. Mine is a shark skin, they make it in horsehide, leather, and aligator. It has never slid around on my belt. It caries the grip high, and close to your body. It conceals well with a T shirt over it, even better with a light coat or sport jacket. It has an adjustable retention screw that really does what it's supposed to do.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/WilsonHolster.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/WilsonHolsterback.jpg

John 242
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I carry either of a 4" or 5" kimber in the Milt Sparks Versa max II. Now, this is an IWB holster, but it is so comfortable and fast to draw from that I use the same rig for carrry, IDPA and hunting.

+1 on Milt Sparks.
I use a Summer Special II IWB with a full size Kimber TLE and have nothing but good to say about the holster. Quality workmanship! When I bought mine it was priced roughly the same as Bianchi or other mass production holsters.
Brownell's has Summer Specials for just under $100 ready to ship.

I would like to aquire a Versa Max II but the 6 month wait and steep price have kept me away. Regardless, the Summer Special II is a fine holster and when matched with a QUALITY belt I can carry my 39 oz steel 1911 all day long and forget it's there.

By the way, Sparks makes OWB holsters as well.