PDA

View Full Version : Lonewolf or Stormlake Barrel?

mongo
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
I have a Glock 23 that I want to start casting boolits for. I have read almost every post I could find on the subject and if a little knowledge is dangerous, a little more knowledge in bits and pieces has me a bit confused. Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these barrels lately, and your thoughts on them. From reading it seems Lonewolf has changed the feed ramp on their barrel recently and had improved it somewhat. Thanks, Tommy:killingpc

Jailer
06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Neither. Get a KKM and don't look back.

And yes I have owned all 3.

Ausglock
06-14-2011, 04:13 AM
G'day. I have had Stormlake in 9mm, 357Sig and they are great barrels.

Lizard333
06-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Neither. Get a KKM and don't look back.

And yes I have owned all 3.

Can'y say that I have purchased them myself, I prefer Sigs, but my dad owns several glocks and he replaces all his barrels with the KKM's. You'll appreciate the lack of bulge to your cases as well.

Doby45
06-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Storm Lake barrels are made by the same cats that make Sig barrels. All of my after market barrels are Storm Lake. Best bang for the buck, period.

Bwana
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
As far as the LoneWolf bbls go I have the 10mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig bbls for my G20 and I have the 9mm conversion for my G23 and G32. They are very good bbls though I haven't been able to compare them to the others. The only thing about the 10mm and 40 S&W bbls are that they have very short throats. This is not really a problem as you just seat your bullets accordingly.
That said, I shoot, and have shot, many thousands of lead (water dropped WW sized to .401,in the case of the 10 and 40, and lubed with a medium hard lube) of MY cast boolits through my Glock (19,20,23,30,32) bbls without a problem.
Other lead bullets, cast and "coated", have leaded up my stock bbls badly and yet do all right in the aftermarket bbls.
There's my experience, for what it's worth.

Paulinski
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Whats wrong with Lone Wolf barrels?

I think they are affordable with slightly better accuracy that stock Glock barrels.

truckmsl
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I've got two Lone Wolfs and they are fine. What you need to do, however, is send them a few of your cast boolits - dummies, of course - so that they can ream the throats accordingly. If you don't do this up front, you'll be doing it later. Most of those who have trouble with Lone Wolf's have not done this.

Curly James
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I have two Storm Lake barrels and one Lone Wolf barrel. The Storm Lake will need no attention but truckmsl gave the best advice regarding the Lone Wolf barrels. Just give Lone Wolf a call, explain that you are shooting cast, they understand and will handle it free of charge. The Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 27 was made for a model 23. ( I got it at a really good price) After sending it to Lone Wolf to be reamed out for my cast boolit loads I used it as it was for a couple of years until I got tired of seeing that inch of barrel poking out of the front of my slide. I recently had a gunsmith cut it to the right length and cut a new crown. Still shoots great with the Lee 175 gr TC and Titegroup.

fredj338
06-14-2011, 03:16 PM

I think they are affordable with slightly better accuracy that stock Glock barrels.
Nothing really, but they are known for short throating them, a PITA. I have LW, SL, Barsto & EFK. I like the Barsto the best, but spendy. SL makes a nice bbl. Just got a 9mm conv bbl for my G32. We'll see how that goes. The LW I put on my G17 is more accurate than the stock bbl w/ any bullet type.

Jailer
06-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Not that there is so much "wrong" with them, but they are no where near as nice as a KKM. Rifling isn't the smoothest which doesn't play that nice with cast boolits and the machining and finish work is no where near as nice as the KKM.

To all of you who have had good luck with your Storm Lakes I'm glad you got lucky with yours. Me, not so much. The rifling on the one I had looked like it was cut with a hammer and chisel. Plus all the edges seemed unfinished with sharp edges and corners.

My KKM barrel is very nicely finished and has great smooth shiny rifling. Fit and finish is outstanding and it is definitely worth the little extra over the cost over the Lone Wolf or Storm Lake. This is one case where you get what you pay for.

But that's just my $.02

HammerMTB
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I found my Lone Wolf bbls to be short-throated like others have. So I sent a couple of them in to get the throats reamed out. One came back with the chamber .050" deeper. That was disappointing. What made it quite a bit worse was the attitude I got from Lone Wolf. It took me 3 months to get my money back, and they were regular phalluses about it.
I use Storm Lake bbls, and have had good success with them.

bobthenailer
06-15-2011, 06:38 AM
KKM #1 Stormlake # 2 Lonewolf # 3

truckmsl
06-15-2011, 12:06 PM
I found my Lone Wolf bbls to be short-throated like others have. So I sent a couple of them in to get the throats reamed out. One came back with the chamber .050" deeper. That was disappointing. What made it quite a bit worse was the attitude I got from Lone Wolf. It took me 3 months to get my money back, and they were regular phalluses about it.
I use Storm Lake bbls, and have had good success with them.

So I'm not the only one! On my glock 35 barrel , rather than reaming the throats the first time, Lone Wolf deepened the chamber!

I called them and told them that was unacceptable because it messed up the head spacing, and they acted surprised that their shop would even do that. They promptly sent me a new barrel with the throat reamed, but with a standard chamber.

I didn't realize anyone else had experienced the same thing.

fredj338
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
So I'm not the only one! On my glock 35 barrel , rather than reaming the throats the first time, Lone Wolf deepened the chamber!

I called them and told them that was unacceptable because it messed up the head spacing, and they acted surprised that their shop would even do that. They promptly sent me a new barrel with the throat reamed, but with a standard chamber.

I didn't realize anyone else had experienced the same thing.
It should have no affect on headspace. What they are doing is having the rifling removed a bit, making the throat or lead longer. The chamber should not be affected. Altering the chamber makes no sense.

Doby45
06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I had purchased 2 Lone Wolf barrels and they looked like some drunk kindergartner cut the barrel out of bar stock with a butterknife and a mallet. I have now purchased a total of 4 Storm Lake barrels and I do not see the justification of spending an additional $90 for a KKM barrel. At the price point you are looking at you can not beat the Storm Lake, period.

truckmsl
06-15-2011, 04:46 PM
It should have no affect on headspace. What they are doing is having the rifling removed a bit, making the throat or lead longer. The chamber should not be affected. Altering the chamber makes no sense.

Exactly - except that they did alter the chamber - they cut it deeper. Thats why they replaced the barrel when I brought it to their attention. Read the post again it's clearly written.

HammerMTB
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Exactly - except that they did alter the chamber - they cut it deeper. Thats why they replaced the barrel when I brought it to their attention. Read the post again it's clearly written.

Same experience, but for this: I sent in 2 bbls to have them cut more leade. Their claim was they did them both the same way. It was quite easy to tell the 2 chambers were no longer the same. The bad one would sink a sized, empty piece of brass more than .050" beyond the bbl hood. Then they kept the bbl once I sent it back for over 3 months with no word at all. I finally had to call and insist they do something. They very reluctantly refunded my money for the bbl. They refused to refund the shipping I paid (twice!!!) to send them the bbl they screwed up. What I think happened is a throating reamer was used on one with good results, and a chambering reamer was used on the other- oops. [smilie=b:
So now I don't miss an opportunity to tell the story, so they get the requisite publicity from their deeds.

Colorado4wheel
06-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I had a LW and now have a KKM. My KKM is a nicer barrel. My LW would not shoot lead. I know LW would have fixed it for me but someone else bulged his barrel and needed a new one for shooting Jacketed only so he bought my LW.

Colorado4wheel
06-15-2011, 09:24 PM
KKM is button rifled, all the others are cut rifling. Thats why the KKM cost more.

Jailer
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
KKM is button rifled, all the others are cut rifling. Thats why the KKM cost more.

Should be the other way around...