PDA

View Full Version : Pewter

milprileb
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Is pewter a cheap source of tin? I see it for sale in junk shops. Here is what I found on internet and I worry it has zinc and other stuff in it that will mess up my bullets :

From interenet: International standards define pewter as having a composition of 90 to 98 percent tin, 1 to 8 percent antimony and 0.25 to 3 percent copper, with limits specified for various impurities (lead, arsenic, iron and zinc).

Read more: Chemical Composition of Pewter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_7384655_chemical-composition-pewter.html#ixzz1PBo7acTu

troy_mclure
06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
the majority of my tin comes from pewter. never had any probs.

even if there is fraction of a % of zink in the pewter, even at 30-1 alloy its pretty much non existent.

captaint
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Pewter is really my only source of tin, so far. Just make sure it's actually pewter. I just call it tin and go from there. enjoy Mike

imashooter2
06-13-2011, 05:24 PM
There are plenty of pweter threads with pictures on this board. Beware Wilton Armetal and other heavy cast plates. They are often called pewter, but they are not.

milprileb
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
I am in a thrift shop locally and there is pewter candle sticks and plates. So what do I look for to make sure its something fine for the smelter ? What price per pound please?

imashooter2
06-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Check this thread. Page 2 has a few pictures. Look for hallmarks. Handles and hanging clips should be soldered on, not riveted. It should be able to be bent easily. It should be thin for its size, delicate even. Watch out for candlesticks, they are weighted and will generally produce less than 50% of their weight as usable alloy (last post in the linked thread).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=112910

imashooter2
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Oh, and tin is currently about $17 a pound. Decide for yourself how much you're willing to pay. A lot of places price it as a collectable. I put that stuff back down and move on.

troy_mclure
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
i keep a postal scale in my truck for this reason. i wont pay more than $5/lb for the pewter. i calculate my propane cost too so i dont smelt till i have 20+ lbs.