PDA

View Full Version : NcStar scopes

Bloodman14
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Any feedback/experience on these scopes? I am looking at a 6-24X50 AO for a rifle and wanted some input before I got one. Thanks, guys.

troyboy
06-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I had one. It was one of those 8-24x50 IR mil dot with sunshade. looked really cool sitting on the gun. Then I shot some with it. Got real milky when you cranked the power past 12x and it would not hold zero on the .308 it was mounted on. Best thing is to buy the best you can afford. Lot of nikon, mueller, bushnell etc less than 150$ Bushnell makes a lot of scope for the money. Mueller makes a good ones too. Myself I would never buy a Barska or NC Star ever again.

Von Gruff
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
They hjave a very poor reputation here in NZ. I wouldn't put one on any of my rifles. I would save a bit more and get something that will give better service. The Nikons are very good glass and excellent value.

Von Gruff.

lurch
06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
I tried one of those NcStar "things"... Never again. The ocular lens came loose and rattles around quite a lot if I try and have the focus set anywhere but "tightened up". Fortunately, it's not too bad in that position. Needless to say the seal - if there ever was one to start with - is now toast.

I'll second the Nikon scopes. The Monarch line is excellent and very reasonably priced.

sundog
06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
spend your money on something else.

TonyM
06-14-2011, 02:17 AM
As has been said... unless it's on a 22lr, save up and get something else...

I learned this lesson personally, despite buying one of there "Premium" models (Put onto an ar-15...)... needless to say, it was a $180 tuition fee.... :killingpc

Baron von Trollwhack
06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
The one I got designed for the SKS self destructed on my SKS on the fourth shot.

Since then I've had the opportunitiuty to save inquiring folks $10, 000 by disparaging that red china JUNK ! BvT

dale2242
06-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I`ve tried some of their 2X7 pistol scopes thinking they would be OK for low recoil calibers. NOT SO. Save your money. Spend more for higher quality scopes. You won`t be sorrry...dale

Artful
06-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Ncstar - no
Burris - doing good but only tried up to 223
Bushnell - doing good (up to 300 win mag)
BSA - Cat's Eye - doing good up to 308 (on a FAL)
Famous Maker (JGsales.com) - no (worked on 223 but died when moved up)
Barska so far on 223 and 243 working ok
Leupold - doing good (.375 Weatherby which killed everyone else off)
Lyman All American (older model) - dim compared to todays but it was a good scope in it's time
Tasco (older model) -been back to factory once for repair - good glass just not strong build

seagiant
07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi GN,
I just got one of these,yea it's a cheap scope but I want to shoot a couple of mny off brand rifles and leave my Zeiss where its at so got one of these. The good news is Vortex backs there Chi-Com stuff pretty well. If you have a problem they take care of it. This scope is a discontinued item and at $99 is half price! http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2011, 07:52 AM
i wouldnt waste 5 bucks on one

seagiant
07-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Lloyd,
Had your coffee yet? Seeing how this is America,I guess that's your option! Thought I'd try one. That's my option!:kidding:

seagiant
07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi GN,
Here's a link with the man that runs Vortex http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1500748&page=1

giz189
07-18-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm with Loyd. Been there done that got t shirt and hat.

WildmanJack
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Gunnerd,
Just a suggestion, but you might take a look at Millet Scopes. I have one on my .30-06 and it's great, saw one used on a BMG .50 and it held zero like it was supposed to.. Just my 2 cents...
Jack

polara426sh
07-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi GN,
I just got one of these,yea it's a cheap scope but I want to shoot a couple of mny off brand rifles and leave my Zeiss where its at so got one of these. The good news is Vortex backs there Chi-Com stuff pretty well. If you have a problem they take care of it. This scope is a discontinued item and at $99 is half price! http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

I got that same model scope last year and am pretty happy with it. I haven't had it on anything that has a great deal of recoil, just a 22 Hornet and currently it's on my Remington 37. The settings have been repeatable and I haven't had any problems losing zero with it. I just wish it was a fine crosshair instead of a dot.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-24-2011, 05:04 PM
The problem with most of these less than OK scopes is that the names and importers change frequently, while the designs in and out continue without much substantive change and they ultimately get to bumping the lower price ranges of truly good scopes and warranties. How about post -American Weavers, pre-Leupold Redfields after the Redfield's foreign adventures?

When you buy a scope it ought to work well for a long time. I can say that of a 4X Leupold thats stood up to a couple thousand shots. A bit pricey then but still better than a series of bargain junkers.

Nothing wrong with an under $200 Redfield ,made by Leupold, with a lifetime warranty

BvT

dualsport
07-24-2011, 05:15 PM
I have two NcStar 6X42s mil dots. So far no issues, not great but adequite. Have used on 30-06 with Greek HXP, didn't break. They were very inexpensive. Probably being fixed power helps. I prefer my Loopy or Bushnell Elites but can't put one on everything. My next scope will be a Redfield 2x7, for hunting.

Chicken Thief
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
If you take value for money, then what?

A brand new LADA wont cost the same as a Rolls Royce, but it will take you from A to B just the same. It might break down sooner and the quality is in the $hit$, but hey, then use some of the money saved to buy another!

If you stirve for quality then why ask the question in the first place?

dualsport
07-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Used the NcStar today on a 30-06. Didn't break, fairly stout loads, but it is a poor scope as far as clarity goes. Like the man said, you get what you pay for. Who else makes a fixed 6X mildot? I like the concept.

wiljen
07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
For a fixed 6x, it would be hard to go wrong with the old Weaver K.

uscra112
07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
For a fixed 6x, it would be hard to go wrong with the old Weaver K.

Was about to say the same thing. Old steel Weavers seem capable of lasting past the end of time, and they can often be bought for the same money or less than the Red Chinese junk, especially if they have a scratch or two. Having an old Weaver on your rifle marks you as a man of taste and distinction, too. (Needless to say I have half a dozen. :p )

dualsport
07-28-2011, 12:25 AM
OK, I agree on the ElPaso Weaver 100%. I've had one for a long time. Is there somebody who could put in a mildot reticle? I could have the appearance of having class and distinction but actually be a modern gizmo crutch user. 6X is my choice because it's the max allowed in CBA military rifle modified scope class, the mildot is for silhouettes from 185m to 500m. It's that or target knobs, they don't look right on an o3a3.

wiljen
07-28-2011, 08:16 PM
www.scopedot.com

TK Lee will do the fixed power weavers and does good work.

dualsport
07-29-2011, 03:53 PM
WOOOOWW!! I looked at scopedot and it sounds fantastic. That tip is one of the best I've got. Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to send in an old K4 or a K6. I'm going to have an El paso Weaver on my o3a3 with dots set exactly for the ranges I shoot silhouette with my new cb load, once I decide which one. Either the 311284 or 311299. The 03a3's previous owner shot the very old Ideal 308314 and kicked butt in shoulder to shoulder matches, out to 200 yds. I will duplicate his load for similar matches and possibly for the chickens at 185m. This is almost too good to believe, I've been on this track for some time and see it coming together. It's going to be very sweet to win the milsil open class with boolits. It'll take a 39 or 40 out of 40 to do it. Thanks Wiljen, very much appreciated. PS The Scopedot prices are way way less than having Leupold build a custom reticle scope and the old Weaver will look nice on my old gun. Cloud nine here.

wiljen
07-30-2011, 07:58 AM
TK has been doing reticles for the sillywet crowd for as long as I can remember. He does great work so I am sure you will be well pleased. The 2 he did for me have lasted almost 20 years now without a single hiccup.

walltube
07-30-2011, 10:43 AM
There is a great difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap". Had an NC Star atop my Dan Wesson .44 Mag disassemble before my eyes after 50 rounds of "warm" reloads.

'Cheap' can be very expensive. NC Star is cheap in quality and not so inexpensive when weighed against when for a few more $$$ a better quality scope will not fail you when most needed. I too have the T-shirt...;)

Buying lottery tickets is the better deal.

My 2 sou,
Wt.

Maven
07-30-2011, 12:51 PM
To borrow a phrase from Jeff in NZ re those scopes, "You can't polish a turd, but you can dip it in glitter."

P.K.
08-12-2011, 06:38 AM
To borrow a phrase from Jeff in NZ re those scopes, "You can't polish a turd, but you can dip it in glitter."

LOL!

I have to admit, as a poster above stated, "looked good" or something similar. I purchased one for my AR platform and it did, but it was a C note + that I could have saved. While it held zero and the reticle was crisp it tended to jump with recoil. I won't reccommend this brand to anyone. Since I have found a little known mfg. that was reccommended on another board and from what I have read will be getting some bussiness from me in the near future. Check out:

http://clearidgeoptics.com/home.htm

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Dont even try them thay suck and cant hold a zero to save you life. i got one on a gun and after shooting it i tost that thing in the trash.

hiram1
09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
i have had real good luck with a konus scope on a 223 rem 700 and a rem700 30 06 and i shoot them a lot
there clear and hold zero well thay are konus pro thay work for me

3006guns
09-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Against my better judgement, I ordered an NCstar 6x42 with the red dot AND laser along with the receiver cover mount for my son's SKS. Hey, that's what he wanted for his birthday......

Getting the mount filed to a tight fit wasn't too bad and the scope looked wicked when mounted. Out to the range and his shots were all over the place. Adjusting the horizontal movement of the scope produced no effect at all. Returned the scope and it was replaced free with a new one.

My nephew was with us and using an Aimpoint on his AR. Absolutely lethally accurate. Good scope....expensive, but good.

We have yet to try the new scope but I suspect it may have problems also after repeated shots. Although they look nice, the quality simply isn't there. We'll see.

Boerrancher
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
4 years ago I bought an NC Star 2.5X fixed power pistol scope with the illuminated rectical for my 44 mag. I have always been a Redfield and Tasco fan until Tasco moved to china. I don't know about the new Redfields. I wanted an inexpensive scope for the mag, because I carry it on the tractor and 4 wheeler a lot, and I have never dropped it or had it fall out of the holster but stuff happens. I have no idea how many hundred rounds heavier loads have been shot out of the Redhawk with the NC Star scope. Once I got it zeroed, it has stayed there. I haven't had to touch it in 4 years, and any day of the week I can pick it up and bust a clay pigeon every time at 100 yards with it. It wasn't until after I had had it for a year or so that I started hearing how they were ****, fell apart, wouldn't stay zeroed, got foggy, was never clear to begin with, and all the other complaints about them. So far the only thing I have had to do to it is replace the battery for the crosshairs. I guess I just got lucky is all.

Best wishes,

Joe

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't make enough $$$ to buy something cheap, and then take it back for repair (gone a couple weeks to a couple months) or replacement (they gave me the same product that failed).

I only want to buy a specific item ONE time and have it work. I buy Leupold (made in the USofA and warranteed forever). I buy Dillon reloading equipment for the same two reasons.

I do not want to worry about equipment failures when the Zombie Wars start.

So, you tell me what your life is worth; and buy accordingly...

Rich

mtnman31
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I've had an NC Star mounted on an SKS for a while now. It works ok. Granted, I won't be making any 1000 yard shots on coyotes but it does the job and I don't have any complaints. I would say, save a few bucks and go a step above an NC Star. You are probably better off to spend the same or a few bucks more for a good used name brand scope. Shop around and you are likely to find a much better scope for the same money. The scope may be used but even a used quality scope is likely better than a new knock-off or cheapie.