PDA

View Full Version : Things that work...

shooter2
01-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Filing a small bevel through the base of the bullet mould where the mould halves meet surely aids in getting a fully filled out base.

Running them hot. I like a well frosted bullet. They fill better and hold lube better.

LBT blue lube. I've used others and they work, but this one has never failed me. It works best with a heater. It fills better and is much easier to do with heat.

Ladle casting. I've tried a bottom pour, but just could not seem to get the reject rate down to a reasonable level. I pour into the cavities with a generous stream and keep pouring until the ladle is empty. Not to say that bottom pour doesn't work, I just cannot seem to get the hang of it. Beagle has sent me some of his bullets over the years and they are flawless. He uses a bottom pour RCBS pot and it works for him. I wish I could get it working especially with HP moulds.

Can't beat the Rowell ladle for that job.

Use a rawhide mallet to open the sprue plate. Mine has a head of about 1.5" X 3".

Beagle once said that Saeco moulds were the cadillac, but H&G were the Mercedes. How true. I have a few of each and wish I had more. I am particularly fond of the three cavity Saeco moulds. I have a couple of them and they actually increase my prodution by about 50%. They're not much heavier and readily drop the bullets. I could never get the four cavity Lyman moulds to work well for me and sold mine a few years ago.

Seating and crimping in two separate steps.

Midway Drop Out. Not in the cavity, but on the outside of the mould. The lead simply does not stick to it. I like my cavities well smoked with a butane lighter.

Prepping a mould with MOS2. I think it was Felix who started this. I work the powdered moly into the cavities using dowels with various shapes on the ends. primarily a flat beveled end for all flat surfaces, pointed with a pencil sharpener, and pointed, but somewhat rounded for most of the cavity. Finally, I use an old toothbrush to rub the moly into those hard to reach places.

For cleaning a cavity or a lead smear on a mould, get it hot and use a small, brass bristled, brush. You can get these at Home Depot or Lowes in their welding supplies. Packages of three for a few $$.

Just a few thought to pass on before lunch. Happy new year to all.

Bret4207
01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Good post!

Texasflyboy
01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Just a few thought to pass on before lunch. Happy new year to all.

Here's mine:

A good quality caliper is a wise investment. I got my Starret 6" from a local pawnshop and it never leaves my bench.

A Star luber is a hard luber sizer to beat for pistol bullets. I really like my SAECO for rifle, especially for gas checks. Seems to work better for me.

Ditto on the rawhide hammer for sprue plates. I just picked up a lead hammer mold on one of the auction sites. A 1lb. head is all you need.

Sooner or later you will need a single stage press. They just have so many other uses. I like my Rockchucker.

Having the RCBS bullet collet style bullet puller is another wise investment. Works with your single stage press.

A pack of cotton baby diapers from the local mega mart is a great cleaning aid on the bench. Pure white cotton will clean, and wash better than most hand me down rags.

Go to your favorite office supply store and get 10 black sharpies. You won't regret it.

It's almost impossible to beat the standard USGI .30 Caliber ammo can for storing bullets, ammo, or supplies. Perfect in just about every respect.

LAH
01-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Magma 40 lb pots
Ballsiti Cast moulds
LBT Blue
NEI Flux
Glove on right hand
Nothing in mould cavities
Lube the sprue plate
Swinging sprue cutters

Enough for now..........Creeker