PDA

View Full Version : Help

TCLouis
01-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I have had my 86 apart for a week or two while I made a new stock for i t . . . well 3 years, but who is counting.

One would assume that while doing something like that that the stock fitter or gunclunk would put the screws in the action (harder to lose a whole gun than two screw theory). I normally do that or put them in a baggie with note what they came out of. I went to the parts, dug out the baggie with the scres in it . . . they won't even fit in the hole. Gosh dang, now what id I take those ot of??

All that as a preface to say HELP I have lost them. What was the thread pitch on the screw that went through the stock, something that has current die. I hope.

Char-Gar
01-01-2007, 02:17 PM
First of all, you are no the first one to misplace a part or two. I plead guilty as well. I really don't know what the thread pitch is, but it might be important to distinguish if the rifle is a US made Winchester or a Jap made Browning or Japchester. Some of those jap made Winchesters had some metric screws in a few places. Either way you could buy a new screw or a die.

TCLouis
01-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Fortunately/Unfortunately this gun was made before the US knew how to export jobs.
Made in 92 . . . 1892 hence it is gonna be a boolit gun as long as I live.

Ross
01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Whittle a splinter to screw into the thread and count the threads.
Offer a succession of drill shanks into the hole to estimate the minor diameter of the thread from which you can derive the screw size.
Or send to Brownell's and ask them for the correct screws.

Red River Rick
01-01-2007, 10:21 PM
The tang screw is is a #12 x 28 tpi NF machine screw. Replacements are readily available. Gun Parts Corp will have them.

RRR

Jon K
01-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Brownell's

They have drawings and screw sizes & pitch online. I just bought some screws for Win low wall and a tang screw for newer Browning 92.

Jon

TCLouis
01-13-2007, 10:48 PM
LONG enough and HARD enough they will sometimes find missing parts.

Found the two screws in a bag after I finally gave up and went on to other projects. In a box right next to the brown recluse (yes, REALLY was).

Now I have to get out scrapers and get finish fitting done and make a butt plate that matches my stock . . . NOT exactly like the original.

Now if I could just find that SRH trigger plunger and plunger spring that went into orbit several years ago <LOL>.