PDA

View Full Version : new mold or get second

justinhip
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I currently use an RCBS 430-200-cm mold. In an effort to increase productio, I have been considering getting another RCBS 430-200-cm or dump what I have and get one Saeco 4 cavity mold. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cherokee
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I would probably buy a 4 cv mould for higher production, have done that in the past. You might also keep the 2 cv and run both moulds - you can pour the 2 while the 4 is cooling, then rotate. I frequently run two moulds.

williamwaco
06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
How old are you?

When I was 40, I could sling bullets for hours from a four cavity mold.
Now I am 70 and I can't do that any more. I can produce more bullets in an hour from two two cavity molds than from one four cavity and I don't need any Advil when I finush.

HammerMTB
06-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I have had this situation come up with a couple different molds. In each case, once I got the 6-cav (I didn't go from 2 to 4) my volume was high enough to make the 2-cav excess inventory.
I did this with a 44-265RF and a 45-255RF. I have hundreds of both in bins in the stock room. What would I do with a 2-cav mold now? I sold 'em off so I could buy different designs....

cajun shooter
06-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I have found that in the later years of my life it is much easier to run two 2 cavity moulds than one 4 cavity. The reason being twofold. You will also reduce the wear on the moulds. They are lighter to pick up and your volume will increase by using two. Even with just one 4 cavity you can run it two hot and have to give it a break. You may vary the speed of the two moulds enough so that you don't have to stop.

rintinglen
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
See BruceB's sticky on speed casting before you try two molds. I have done the two mold thing, but won't any more. Forced cooling makes more boolits faster.