PDA

View Full Version : Finally got roun' tuit

Olevern
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Finally shot for the first time a Win. mod. 1886 lightweight I purchased when they first came out (latest iteration,what, about seven or eight years ago?)

I have several other 45-70's, a Siamese Mauser, a Browning 1886 carbine, two Marlin 1895's (one a LTD model) and a Ruger #1, so just didn't 'till now feel the need to break out the lightweight.

Tried a mild load with 300 gn cast (RCBS) and IMR 4198 - showed some real promise, but will work it up to a better hunting velocity. Then a 405 gn. cast with a starting load of IMR 4198, shot real well.

Still got a lot of load work up to do, but enough for today, retired to the loading room to assemble some .357 Herrett loads for the new contender I recently purchased.

BTW, I really liked the shotgun buttplate on the lightweight compared to the curved steel on my Browning.

Busy day, even worked in some dirt bike riding with one of the boys I mentor when he got bored with reloading/load development.

dnepr
06-12-2011, 09:04 PM
LOL if you could have seen the look on my face when I seen the title to your thread , finally got around to testing some 7.62x39 reloads today that I loaded up a mere 15 ish years ago . Well they were still good and I have new hunting load , the little russian sks put 5 into 1.5 at 50 yards , about as good as this shooter is going to do with iron sights anyway , can't wait for fall :D:lol:

Olevern
06-12-2011, 09:08 PM
LOL if you could have seen the look on my face when I seen the title to your thread , finally got around to testing some 7.62x39 reloads today that I loaded up a mere 15 ish years ago . Well they were still good and I have new hunting load , the little russian sks put 5 into 1.5 at 50 yards , about as good as this shooter is going to do with iron sights anyway , can't wait for fall :D:lol:

I guess I'm not alone in having too many projects and too little time.