PDA

View Full Version : From the beginning....

kooldecker
06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey guys,
I am thinking about starting to cast for my 30'06 and a .257 Roberts that i have. I am new to the addiction, and have only cast for the beloved .45 so far. My question is this.....i have seen alot of threadspace taken up by the subject of bullet diameter, and "throating" and other terms im not tottally familliar with. I would like to know any good titles out there to get started with? looking for anything you guys would consider your "go-to" book. In particular i am looking for somthing that will take me through the whole process step by step. i dont want to just go out and purchase a mold and have it be the wrong one. And i want to know the steps i need to take in advance besides just slugging my bores. Anyway any thoughts you guys may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jason

06-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Any of the four editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook are excellent. In addition, they list cast loads.

geargnasher
06-12-2011, 05:49 PM
+1, 462. the Lyman #3 is "obsolete" since #4 came out, so many places have #3 on sale. It's a fine book. If you read and study that book, reading the procedure sections very carefully over and over, there is all the information you need to have a really thorough understanding of basic boolit casting, lubing, loading, and shooting. I've found that the Lyman #49 reloading guide is an excellent companion to the #3 cast book, and shows cast loads for more calibers than the Lyman cast bullet manual does.

As far as getting into Ph, D. level rifle loading, I've found no better source for information than this site. There is a lot of good info on the CBA site and others, but most of the decent, dependable info is posted by folks that are also frequent contributors here, and the tone of this site is a whole lot more laid-back and friendly.

There is also the download-able online book on the lasc.us site that is linked here in several places, good supplemental information there, here's one of the threads with the links included:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110213

Gear

Also,