PDA

View Full Version : Latest issue of Gun Digest

Bret4207
12-31-2006, 07:27 PM
So, for my birffday I bought myself a few books. Among them the latest issue of Guin Digest. I have most of the others and I buy them to add to the almost complete collection. So there I am happily perusing the contents when Holt Boddinsons statement about the 338 Federal jumps out at me- "For the first time, Federal has a cartridge with their name on it." Now I always thought ol' Holt was a fair gun writer, for a mondern day gun writer anyways. He did a great article on the 401 Winchester years ago and I went from that article. But Holt, you blew it! He forgot the ill fated 9MM Federal!!! That loser came out in the mid- 80's. It was nothing more than the 9mm Parabellum with a rim. IIRC- Smith and maybe H+R made guns for it. About 50 guns total from what I've seen. I think it lasted about as long as the USA plastic cased 38 ammo. (Oddly, I saw some of that garbage the other day. Shop owner wanted to sell it to me in the worst way. NO!)

I know we complain about the state of gun writing today, but jeeze... If I can remember stuff you'd think the pro's could too.

Mk42gunner
01-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Bret,
I seem to recall that Ruger was going to make security sixes in 9mm Fed for export????
One reason that was in the gun magazines for its quick demise was that people could fire them in 38 S&W revolvers. I know I would not want to fire a round with anything close to 9mm pressure through an old break top made out of the 19th century's version of pot metal but apparently someone could.

Robert

Bret4207
01-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Robert- The 38S+SW thing may be true, I don't recall. I do know I've seena grand total of 1 box on 9mm Federal ammo in my life. The Ruger thing sounds right too. I seem to recall the guns going to France or some place like that. I'll have to see if I can find some info for curiositys sake.

Buckshot
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Robert- The 38S+SW thing may be true, I don't recall. I do know I've seena grand total of 1 box on 9mm Federal ammo in my life. The Ruger thing sounds right too. I seem to recall the guns going to France or some place like that. I'll have to see if I can find some info for curiositys sake.

..............The Rugers went to Ind-ja. Ken Waters did a pet loads for the solid frame 38 S&W's and used that pistol. Said it was a special loan as Ruger wasn't going to make then avail to the public, so neener-neener. Actually that would have been a bit like S&W coming out with the 32 H&R mag on a N frame.

................Buckshot