PDA

View Full Version : Problem reloading cast for 9x18 Mak

Jal5
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I have reloaded lots of plated bullets for this 9x18 round without any COAL problems but with my cast boolits it is creating a problem. Using Lee 95 gr. RN cast from range scrap and not sizing these. I set up the seater die for a 0.984 COAL but ended up with a 0.977 COAL when I did a box of 50 yesterday. Same case prep on Win 9x19 cases I cut down and use with no problem reloading plated bullets. 0.977 is still within the specs for this round, but I don't get how I wound up there when I had the dies set up for the larger OAL. I used a known bullet with OAL of 0.984 to set up the die before reloading any of this batch.

My thought is that it has to do with the softness of the alloy, and it pushing down easier into the case compared to the plated bullet? The expansion of the case mouth was minimal, just enough to allow me to set the boolit in it and then use the seater die. Any other ideas? And more importantly how do I prevent that from happening?

Joe

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Obviously, the Lee Boolit has a difference ojive than the plated/jacketed bullet.
thus it contacts the Seat insert differently....causing the difference you are seeing.

you need to use adjust the seater die accordingly as you would if it were the first time you loaded a cartridge...without a dummy round.

I seat to a depth were it fits in the Magazine and reliably cycles in the Gun as opposed to a factory round or the Max specs.

I load this same cartridge, Lee Boolit using straight WW alloy, using converted brass.
Also, to reduce confusion as much as possible,I use military brass since it doesn't say 9mm Luger and then use a red marker on the headstamp.
Jon

Rocky Raab
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Oddly enough, jal5, I had the exact opposite experience: I have no trouble at all seating cast bullets, but have a helluva time getting plated ones to seat straight. The little plated boogers ALWAYS seem to tip a bit, leading to poor accuracy.

I discovered that the problem was worse using cut-down nickeled cases for 9 Luger, but not in brass cases made for the Mak by Starline. Thicker case walls is the problem, I think.

That observation aside, I agree that your problem is caused by simple ogive difference. If your cast bullets are seating too deeply, just back the seater stem out a partial turn. Make a not of how much (or better yet, measure how much it protrudes above its lock ring) so you can return to either bullet style at will.

Jal5
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
thanks guys, most often three heads are better than one!

I mark my completed rounds with a red magic marker to distinguish them from 9mm Lugar also.

Rocky Raab
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a 9mm Luger pistol, but I don't bother to reload for it (the ONLY gun I shoot factory ammo in!) so that eliminates any brass confusion.

BTW, I applaud your sig line. I'm two pints away from my 21st gallon.

Jal5
06-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Way to go Rocky- congratulations on your blood donations!

goste
06-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I ran into the same problem using the unsized lee Boolit. The hole thru the die was to small to let the boolit go through. I removed the seater stem, and it would still seat the boolit to almost the correct depth. I had to ream the hole out with a tapered reamer, to get the boolit to pass without hanging up.

This was on a Hornady die. Had to do the same to my Lee 9mm seating/crimp die, as my lee mould drops at +.358, and all my 9's love it...