PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 and lube compatibility

milprileb
06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
As a general rule, is there any limitations on what lubes a Lyman 450 handles well or does not handle well ? I am a bit apprehensive on hard carnuba type lubes
and how much I need to heat to keep that stuff flowing. Last winter using LBT blue lube which was slow to flow in my 450, the amount of resistance caused me to shear off or bend linkage bolts several times. This got far better when I put a 60 watt light bulb next to 450 to pre heat it.

Is the 450 really only made for 50 50 NRA type lubes or is my problem I need a heater and hard wax carnuba will work just fine in it.

1Shirt
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Have 2 450's & 2 45's. and I use nothing but Canuba Red in all of them. I use a thrift shop hair drier for about two min on the base of the sizers, then keep a high intensity light close to the base throughout the sizing process. Never have had any problem.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

ronbo
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
The 450 will work well with hard lube with a heater, either the universal Lyman heater, better to connect a lamp dimmer in line or the heater will get too warm. Have seen some pictures of the 450 mounted on an aluminum plate with a junk clothes iron on the plate for heat.

milprileb
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Okay, that helps a ton !!

I know the iron and plate solution. I would rather buy the heater and do the lamp dimmer approach.

Why? Well, darn it... I am 63 yrs old and whats the chances of me leaving that iron on and walking off forgetting it or bumping it off the plate as I tear down for the evening and hit the rack ?

Knowing risk, knowing Murphys Law, I would rather buy the heater and yank the plug on it. Nothing to knock over or bump and cause a fire.

I know ... in a perfect world, one is on top of everything but this is how I see it. In military career, I had a life time of Force Protection planing and risk management in all we did. I guess that carries over to this as well.

I wear a face shield, always have when bullet casting. Long before the internet or this forums wisdom was available. Reason for it ? Murphys Law.

I have seen Murphy and I don't discount him being around every corner.

Yes----- in Military Free Fall: I packed my own rig. I trust my mistakes better in packing than a rigger I don't know.

06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm frugal, and clamp a goose-neck lamp with 100-Watt bulb next to the 45 and 4500. If necessary, temperature is regulated by turning the lamp on and off.

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I`ve got 2 old Lyman 450 lubers. I use 1 only with Lars 50/50 lube. The other luber I have a Midway base heater under since I only use this luber for hard lubes.Robert

mooman76
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I did the hair drier on my 450 also with Rooster red. It heats it up surprizingly fast and you can go quite awhile before hitting it again. I got the plate heater and it takes awhile to heat it up good. I just plugged it in ahead of time then unplug it when it gets warm enough until it cools some. Some of the newer irons have a automatic shot off when left unattended after a short time.

snuffy
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
This is the best answer for the Lyman lubers. I saw somebody mention the heater connected to the dimmer switch elsewhere on the forum.

Since I was planning on switching to Lars carnuba red, knowing it needed a heater, I got busy, made it up while Midway was sending the heater. It works perfect at about 50% power, hurts nothing if it's left on. That dimmer switch has a push on/off feature that's handy to simply push on the knob to turn it off. No indicator light on it, so I used a two place plug so I could plug in a shop light to verify it's on.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0321.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0322.JPG

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2011, 10:58 PM
That was probably me Snuffy that used a dimmer switch along with my homemade heater heat coil from a crockpot. Was still working after half a dozen years when I bought the midway heater.Robert