PDA

View Full Version : Sell or Scrap?

Wildwood-Lake
06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
First, I would like to say that you probably notice me selling quite a few items.
Well I have been brokering these things and trying to give the best price I can.
I'm not into casting but I'm learning. I have a few books that I'm reading on this.

gray wolf
06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I have a few books that I'm reading on this

Are you reading cause you have nothing better to do ?
Or are you going to cast bullets ?
If you are going to cast bullets then save your lead.
If your not going to cast perhaps you could sell the bullets for scrap $1.00 a pound including shipping may get them sold. For me it would be a mixed bag of scrap, would I take it ? hell yes.
Looks like some pure ( maybe ) and who knows what else.
I would melt the whole thing down and shoot it in a low pressure round like a 45 ACP, 32 ACP,
38 special.
If you were standing next to me and could see I was joking, I would say fish or cut bait.
But your not so I wont.

Wildwood-Lake
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Just reading because I have alot of old books on reloading. I'm not planning on casting boolits right now. I think shipping lead would be a hassle, to heavy. Post office limit 70lbs. and would have to re-inforce the box + cost of shipping $11.00 And how can you tell if it's pure lead or not?

bumpo628
06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
You've got a little over 90 lbs of lead there.

I would list in in the S&S forum for sale individually as boolits, or as a lot.
Figure out how much per pound you want to get and weigh each pile.
Or pick a price for the whole lot including shipping. One way or another, people will buy them.

As for shipping, put your bags of lead in a post office tyvek bag, tape it up, then put it in a medium flat rate box, then put that box in another box. Fill any voids with packing material.

As for the comment about pure lead, the round ball is probably pure since those boolits have to be soft. The other one on the far right is probably pure lead too. I believe it is called a Minnie ball, IIRC.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Have these boolits been sized and lubed ?
Also, If they have been sized and lubed
and they look real good (totally filled out castings with nice shape edges).
they would be worth more to non-casting shooters who reload.
Most everyone on this site cast there own, so we would rather cast our own as opposed to use someone elses castings...there are many reasons I won't go into now.
So we would look at this Lead as scrap, to be recast into the boolits of our choice.
the most you'd get is probably $1 per lb.
I'm not trying to push you away...in fact please stay and learn the craft/art of casting, but if I were you, I'd try selling these at Gunbroker or somewhere else where non-casting reloaders hang out, you'll likely get near $8 per hundred, if they are near perfect castings that have been lubed and sized. That's what I use to pay, before I got into casting.
So get your micrometer out and start measuring. The Best and most complete discription will get the best bids in an auction....Big photos, close up of each boolit, not a group photo.
Good Luck,
Jon

MtGun44
06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I live in KC area, and would definitely buy the 320 lbs of ingots (if it is wwts) for .80/lb if you can
wait a few weeks until I get back in town, maybe the raw wwts, too, but a bit less since they
have a lot of work and waste left in them.

Bill

mroliver77
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
If Bill will pick them up from you for .80 lb that would be a good deal. It would be worth the short wait. You can count on Bill to fulfill his word!
Jay

MtGun44
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks, mroliver for the vote of confidence!

320 lbs x $0.80 is a pretty good deal for me at $256. I usually buy through the
mail - thanks to the USPS for flat rate boxes! - and this will be good and save
shipping.

320 lbs x 7000gr = 2.24 million grains / 250 gr Keith .44 = 8960 boolits, and
more for the smaller ones. I will be set for a while after this buy.

Bill

Wildwood-Lake
07-10-2011, 06:01 PM
It sure was nice meeting Bill, he is a real nice guy. He got a big chunk of the lead but I still have 432 lbs. and 44 lbs of lino. If anybody in the KC-Missouri area would be interested send me a PM.

Ozarklongshot
07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Is your lino still in Pigs or ingots or still in type face?

MtGun44
07-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Both. He has a bunch of type face lines and a long piece that looks like a part of a
lino bar and is harder than wwts by a simple 'rough and ready' hardness test. Definitely
clinks when you drop it, and I cracked the end whacking it with a hammer, so pretty sure
it is lino.

Bill

Wildwood-Lake
07-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Still looking to sell lead. Here's what I have left, 140 lbs. of ingot lead & 107 lbs. of ingot w/w & 30 lbs. of lino-type and a lino bar at 14 lbs. Looking for someone in the KC_Missouri area.

MtGun44
07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Don,

If you can't find a buyer, shoot me a PM on a price for the rest of it, less the lino, and then
one for all of it and I'll think about it.

MOST interested in the wwt ingots, as you know, but secondary - lower value interest
in the pure lead and the lino. Probably would mix the pure and lino to get a useable pistol
alloy.

Bill

Wildwood-Lake
07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
I'll let you know, Bill.

Thanks

hansumtoad
07-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Shoot me a PM for everything you have left. Weight and price.

hansumtoad
07-14-2011, 04:15 AM
I even know where Wildwood lake is.

Wildwood-Lake
07-14-2011, 07:35 AM
PM sent to hansumtoad

Wildwood-Lake
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM
No....Replys from hansumtoad so the lead is still available.

Wildwood-Lake
07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
All the lead is gone.....Thanks Bill