PDA

View Full Version : LED Floodlights?

Muddy Creek Sam
06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Howdy all,

Got my Building finished, thanks to BD for fixing a problem, and am now working on lighting. Ceiling is high and I don't want to have to change lights often. Was considering LED floods, Anyone have any experience with them? Good/ Bad?

Thanks,

Sam :D

HATCH
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
they are expensive but they do last a long time.

dragonrider
06-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes to EXPENSIVE. I believe you would be better to look at T-5 Flourescents.

winelover
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Have 2 on the exterior of my home for about one year. I bought them at Costco for around $14 for the 2, IIRC. They are on dawn to dusk switches. So far I like them. They have out lived most conventional floods I've tried. Besides being cheaper to run they also operate cooler. Last winter I didn't have a build up of icicles like I would with the others. The only negative I noticed is that they throw off less light than conventionals do but not enough to matter to me. YMMV.

Winelover

MT Gianni
06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
My shop is 16' tall. I use a bulb changer that fits snugly over a standard bulb and fits on the end of an extendable paint roller stick. I can reach things easily with that 12' extension.

DCM
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Cree makes some very good,useful LED flood lights $$$$$
T5 floros are nice but not always easy to get and are expensive also as are the fixtures.
T8 floros are the best bang for your buck right now.
A highly polished aluminum or chrome reflector behind the lamps will do wonders.

c3d4b2
06-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I have had good luck with the halogen bulbs in my barn. I think some of the bulbs are 5 years old, though they see limited use.

Johnch
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I have seen the paperwork as for the pay off for T5 bulbs
If you are going to have the lights on a lot
High Bay T5 fixtures will pay for themselves faster than T8 fixtures

But if you will not be having the lights on a lot
T8 fixtures & bulbs are a lot cheaper

John

GabbyM
06-10-2011, 02:20 AM
I have seen the paperwork as for the pay off for T5 bulbs
If you are going to have the lights on a lot
High Bay T5 fixtures will pay for themselves faster than T8 fixtures

But if you will not be having the lights on a lot
T8 fixtures & bulbs are a lot cheaper

John

Ditto:

No way you can light up an entire pole shed economically.
I’ve worked in little machine shops where there were only a dozen of us and the electric bill was over $3M a month. Energy has doubled and then some since that. Lathes and mills suck power of course.

Buy and set up your high end energy saving lights over your work area then use economical up front fixtures to light up the open spaces for intermittent light. Only light the area where you are working. I know it can be spooky. Your local electric utility should be able to help you set up a light system. Unless if you are out there where the workforce is a bunch of non union scabs out to screw a working man. You get back what you put forth.

Bulldogger
06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
RandyRat,
I work in the lighting field. LED floods are not the best choice right now due to ongoing evolution of the products and current cost structure. And they also don't "flood" very well, they're more like spotlights, even big-name ones.
I second the suggestions and comments for a good T5 or T8 system. Use electronic ballasts (magnetic are hard to find anyway). Either of those (5 or 8)should keep you very happy.
I offer the following suggestions: Buy reputable brand name products, even if they cost a little more. If something goes wrong or you have a technical question, you want to be able to call and have the call go through because the company is still there... Also, for the lamps and ballasts match the manufacturer for each where able. If you buy a ballast from a company that also makes the lamps (bulbs) buy both from that same company. While most products are marked "compatible" it is safe to say that any lamp company that builds ballasts or vice versa puts the most work into and has the most experience with their own combinations. If you buy a ballast from a company that doesn't make bulbs, go with their top recommendation.
Once you get your system set up, keep using the same lamps, even if another competitor tries to undersell. When a system is optimized with each part matching, it could be disappointing if you change things up without retuning (and why go through that again?).
In a good T8 or T5 system, properly installed, the lamps should last 5-7 years.

PM me if you've got additional questions. I can answer any and all.
Bulldogger

cajun shooter
06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I put the Fluorescents in my shop and they will not light up when the temps are low. Unless you are going to have a constant heat source stay away from them. All LED lights have lifetimes well past any standard incandescent bulb. The halogen type will be the best for the outside. I would try and talk with a electrical contractor who does this type work and let him give you the real world take.

Longwood
06-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I put Halide light in my hangar and highly recommend.
They are pretty expensive but it takes few of them to do a fantastic job.
]Don't decide by wattage, it means very little when it comes to light output. Go by how many lumens per watt.
I got mine used for pennies on the dollar from a pot grower that the state decided to screw with.

Gswain
06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Flourescent lights will last a long time IF they are just left on. Start/stop cycles are what kill the lifespan of flourescent bulbs. Plus, CFLs only come from china. Boo. I'd recommend LED's for an indoor application like that, On/Off cycles have very little impact on their lifespan, I'd guess you may never need to replace them. One great way to get around the issue of LED throw is to put a softening lens in front of the LEDs, that will help spread out the light a bit more.

Changeling
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Don't forget to check with your power company, they may be offering a deal or you might be able to get a tax cut somehow.

lathesmith
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
The newer T-5 or T-8 Florescents are designed to start at temps down to about 0; the older T-12's don't do so good when temps get below about 50 or so. I also believe the T-8s offer the most bang for the buck right now, and are a good balance of initial cost vs. eventual payback. LEDs are great for selected uses, but to properly light a whole shop with them would require a hefty bank loan (at least for the likes of me!).
For creating a "light spot" here and there, such as at a piece of machinery, you have lots of options, most of the above mentioned stuff will work well. Just don't install your light too close to your machines, unless it's one of those specially sealed high $$$ ones, and make sure the bulbs have sturdy covers, otherwise you might get an unwelcome surprise when a flying bit of metal goes where you don't want it to.

lathesmith