PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits, Shooter.com to Our Town, and Change.

Recluse
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Interesting lamentations of recent about the changes some perceive to have occurred here at Cast Boolits.

And I'll agree: There have been changes. Some rather rapid, and others more in the pace of evolution. I guess the question some of the original members ask are, "Is the change for the better?"

Speaking strictly for myself, my response is, "Yeah. I think so."

I'm not a plankowner here (the Navy guys will understand that), but I was hanging around and lurking during the Shooter.com days. Followed the transition to Cast Boolits and finally had something to say one day, so I joined up and made my first post.

Mentioned a couple of very narrow and specific incidents that happened somewhere around 2004/2005, and one of the moderators commented on my first post about "an all-time lurking record" or something like that.

Point is, I've watched this community grow. And overwhelming for the better.

Here is a perfect example of what change brought us, and scarcely but a year ago: A post by Gray Wolf and a reply by Bret (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78259&highlight=Gray+Wolf+truck)

Right here, right now, we have this: Rally the troops. Help for a member (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=118276)

Take a look at the benefits auction forum--that's something we used to not have. Look at the pure unselfishness exhibited there with people donating items and buying items that benefit Ken, the founder and mayor of Cast Boolits, that benefit other members and members' families.

Look at the epic Gpal thread. Nowhere else in the entire world wide web is FREEDOM exhibited more than right here at Cast Boolits with that ongoing discussion. We saw, firsthand, how many "respected" forums cut their members off at the knees when discussing Gpal.

Not here.

I've had many a phone conversation with Ken (45Nut) and as passionate as he is about casting his own lead projectiles and having a forum where others with this passion can meet and discuss, he is more passionate about two other things:

1. Community. A family of patriots from different backgrounds, different walks of life, different economic circumstances and even different politics (with a wink and a nod to Junior, who IS a plankowner here :)) but who all have a place where our passion for shooting and reloading and ultimately, casting our own boolits draws us together--and where that fellowship and common respect KEEPS us together.

2. Freedom.

We shoot and reload and cast largely for hobby. Yes, we eat the meat off the game animals we shoot and yes, we take our self-defense quite serious. But largely, this is a pastime of relaxing and stress relief for us.

So why do we allow our blood pressure to rise over our perception of changes to the one forum dedicated to our past time?

The simple answer is, "Beats the hell out of me."

But rather than looking at what we perceive to have changed in a "negative" fashion, why not look at what has changed at Cast Boolits in a positive fashion? Again, I give you the threads on Gray Wolf and another member as but an example of MANY times our community has pulled together to take care of one of our own.

We still congratulate one another on the graduation of a daughter or the marriage of a son or on becoming a parent or grandparent. Conversely, we offer prayers and tears alike when we lose a loved one, be they family or friends of the sort that are often more dear to us than family.

We keep an ear open for jobs when we find out we have members who are struggling in this vast "hope and change" economy, and yet even in this economy, many of us are still willing to drive up to several hours in neighboring counties or states to help a new member get started in casting.

That's community.

Perhaps the greatest thing about Cast Boolits is that whether it's your tenth post or your ten-thousandth, post count does not equate to "rank" or "seniority" around here. Likewise, neither does join date. We're all equal.

That rankles some, I know. But I would also wonder how those same folks feel about the Declaration of Independence and the notion that "all men are created equal."

Bottom line: This is a very non-pretentious community we have here. Yes, the family grows larger, but we remain committed to our objective of promoting the casting and shooting of lead projectiles.

Are there arguments, disagreements, snide remarks? Absolutely. There were five years ago and beyond, too. Disagreements are nothing new and did not come about simply because membership grew and the forum evolved.

I prefer to look at the positive. Yes, there have been some changes. But the net result is that we're still family and we still--and will continue to--take care of our own.

That's what makes Cast Boolits what it is.

:coffee:

Echo
06-09-2011, 01:24 AM
=1 From a double-boolit nooby. Way to go, Recluse.

9.3X62AL
06-09-2011, 01:29 AM
+1, Recluse. Trying to expand on your text would be like taking spray paint to the Sistine Chapel.

Alvarez Kelly
06-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Very well said. Great forum with a LOT of great guys.

Dean D.
06-09-2011, 01:58 AM
I think J.D. understands more than he knows about the "change" that has taken place in the old "Shooters.com" section.

I have to fess up to suggesting some "change". I've only been a member here for around 2 1/2 years. As a new member I was somewhat confused on some of the section titles and their purpose. I knew we had a section for remembering and announcing the passing of members and loved ones but it seemed like whenever a member was sick or in distress the postings concerning this would be scattered among several sections. One time you would find something in Shooters, another time in Cast Boolits and more more often than not, in the Humor and Off Topic section. I suggested that we needed a section specifically for folks to post such notices, a sort of "Our Town" type area. Ken said "Thats what Shooters.com is for". I replied "For a newbie it's not obvious from the title just exactly what "Shooters.com" IS for." at least it wasn't for me.

Ken gave this some deep thought for many months before doing anything. I believe the name change to "Shooters Community Center" was his attempt to keep the "Shooters" in the name for posterity sake but also try to point out that it was a place for community oriented type posts like sickness and distress of a member.

I believe Ken has always asked that shooting/casting posts be placed in their proper section to help folks find what they are searching for more easily. If he hasn't done so in the past, that is all he is asking our members to do now. I honestly don't see how this is such a dramatic issue myself, but then again, I am relatively new compared to the Plank Owners here.

I apologize for any angst this name change suggestion may have created, it was not meant to do so. My PM mailbox is relatively empty so please send all hate mail concerning the name change to me rather than to Ken (whose mailbox is already overflowing with hate mail). [smilie=1:

Sincerely, Dean D.

Jim
06-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Well done, JD. Good job, buddy.

Bad Water Bill
06-09-2011, 05:24 AM
For someone who calls himself RECLUSE the gentleman sure has a wonderful ability to say what most of us just can not put into words.

Well done and a tip of the old salt stained Stetson sir.

:drinks::drinks:

:CastBoolitsisbest:

Ajax
06-09-2011, 05:51 AM
You said it well JD.

Andy

gray wolf
06-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Men ! I guess it's not what's in the name of a forum,
but whats in the hearts of the members.
I don't think there is any doubt as to what we are about.
How the place is run, or the greatness we achieve.
Great job JD very well said.

theperfessor
06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
+1 to all that's been said by Recluse and others. We are casters, we are shooters, AND WE TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER.

I am forever grateful to Ken and this site for opening up so many opportunities for me and others to share and learn.

lbaize3
06-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for putting into writing what I imagine a lot of us have been thinking. Well done, neighbor!

Doc Highwall
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Well said RECLUSE !!!

Lively Boy
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
wouldn't change a word even "IF" i could. well said!

Von Gruff
06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
:CastBoolitsisbest:

Von Gruff.

Jim
06-09-2011, 04:37 PM
..... My PM mailbox is relatively empty so please send all hate mail concerning the name change to me rather than to Ken (whose mailbox is already overflowing with hate mail). [smilie=1: Sincerely, Dean D.

HATE mail? You gotta' be kiddin' me! I can see a spicy complaint that was sent before the boiler had time to cool down, but HATE mail?

I run a little piss ant forum for the locals here. It don't amount to a hill of beans. I can tell you this, though: If I got a "hate" mail from one of the members, I'd be tellin' 'em "I HATE to tell you this, but you're not a member here anymore!"

Ken's about the most patient, tolerant and lenient man I ever met.

HATE mail? Huh. Pack ya' stuff an' hit th' gate!

Bad Water Bill
06-09-2011, 04:49 PM
+1 on what Jim said

Gunfixer
06-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I am impressed to the N'th degree on what Ken and the staff here have accomplished. AND I am EXTREMELY proud to be a member here. The amount of knowledge given freely amazes me. All I can hope to do is carry on in the same light. Thank You all CB staff. And I don't care what you change the name of any "room" to, just don't leave!

Stick_man
06-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I agree 100% with the idea of this being called our town. Mayor Ken has done a great job here and is to be commended. He (and many others) have attracted the cream of the crop from all walks of life. I visit many different forums across the web, and this one is by far the best out there. I am so glad I found this and am proud of the association within. I have learned more here than I ever imagined. The help is so freely offered and graciously accepted. This place is more than just "our town". It is "our family"

Bret4207
06-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Jeeze! I JUST MISS THE SHOOTERS TITLE. Sorry I said anything.

runfiverun
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
:lol:
you all think ken is a patient person?
opinionated onrey patriotic maybe but patient.......

MT Gianni
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
:lol:
you all think ken is a patient person?
opinionated onrey patriotic maybe but patient.......

He sure is for all the stuff he puts up with. I think he has an incredible vision for what he wants this board to be and includes most every individual here in that vision.

Jim
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
.....Ken's about the most patient, tolerant and lenient man I ever met.....

My assessment is not based on any established scale, but rather on relative comparison. Compared to me, oh, yeah, he's a VERY patient man.

markinalpine
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm just greatful that this forum wasn't renamed "The Salad Bar." [smilie=1:

Mark :bigsmyl2:

fatnhappy
06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
'm a bit suprised this thread even exists. As a group I would think shooters pride themselves on self reliance, creativity and adaptability. There's too much angst over a name change for me too believe there isn't a deeper misgiving the minds of this assembly.

badgeredd
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM
IMHO, the change had a PURPOSE! And the purpose is very justified. Recluse has stated the obvious far more eloquently than I could hope to therefore I give a BIG "attaboy" to this thread.

I personally dislike change that is made only for its own sake. Obviously Ken has thought this out and in my opinion has hit a home run.

After going back to the original post that appears to have generated some negative comments, it appears to me that some individuals mistook Bret's comment for a place to whine. I may be wrong (not a first) but I suspect that Bret was just commenting with no ill feelings.

Change can be great or suck a bunch...here we have a "GREAT" IMHO, not to confused with the current political hierarchy

Just my thoughts...

Edd.

Bad Water Bill
06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Just relax folks Things have been changing since the site started and as you have seen, thanks to Kens hand always for the better. Ken has made this site the biggest most caring group of folks on the internet.

As far as the new name is concerned We have 18,913 people with an address here. Yes that is a good sized town so why not? The only other name I might have is the statement we so often make when greeting a new member. WELCOME TO OUR HAPPY HOME but it is Kens call and I will be very happy with the change. We be growing and one day the name might be OUR CITY.:)

Recluse
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I liked "Cast Boolits USA" as a name for general inclusion, but some of our Down Under friends threatened to feed me some of that gawdawful buttery spread that they like to eat. The Canadians promised to send snow year around, and the European contingent assured me they'd send money to Obama's re-election campaign fund.

"Our Town." I like it. :)

:coffee: