PDA

View Full Version : Kuhnhausen 1911 Shop Manuals

AnthonyB
12-31-2006, 03:34 AM
I'm thinking about trying to fit a match barrel to a full size Colt and am still in the research/feasibility check mode. I "need" the Kuhnhausen manual anyway, but should I buy both volumes or just start with the first? Tony

waksupi
12-31-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm confused, Tony. Mine has Book 1 and Book 2, all in one volume

Hunter
12-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Volume 1 of the Kuhnhausen shop on the 1911 is divided into book 1 and book 2 (changes at page 105) and there is a second volume as well. The second volume is mostly schematics while the first volume is more on methods.
I would say you would do best to have both manuals.

cherok9878
12-31-2006, 11:10 PM
AnthonyB, I f the barrell is fitted properly, correct tension at lockup, it will probably be worth it. However you may be able to play with a national match barrel bushing and a non fitted barrel link to accomplish almost same results. True National Match accuracy includes fitting the slide to the frame with enough clearance to function when the gun is hot. All of the above really depends on what you want the gun to do.

scrapcan
01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
If this is your first re-barrel of a 1911, you coul dtry the Kart Easy fit barrel. you can buy the barrel and tools to fit. They are truely easy fit and result was good in my opinion. Others may have other opinions.

Other barrel makes would work also once you know what needs to be done. I have volume 1 and have referrerd to it many times. If you can get both volumes, that would be good also.

AnthonyB
01-03-2007, 03:20 AM
Fellas, thanks for the info. I was already leaning towards the Kart barrel and both volumes, so it is nice to hear I am on the right track. Tony

bobthenailer
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
to fit a match barrel correctly for the best accuracy you will have to buy some barrel fitting tools from brownells, however i have heard good things about the ez fit kart barrel jut buy the instlation tool kit from kart , and go slow

MtGun44
01-21-2007, 02:22 AM
I have had a recommendation for the Kart easy-fit barrel also, by
a VERY experienced old 1911 gunsmith. He says it is easy and a very
high quality barrel. I have not done it myself, but Ken Hallock knows
a ton about 1911 - literally writing the book on mods.

Bill

Mayhaw2
04-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Hunter, Were do we buy these Kuhnhausen Manuals
Thanks, Mayhaw2

Hunter
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Midway and Brownells both sell both volumes. I got mine at a local gunshow.
As far as the Government Models go they are good to have around.

fourarmed
04-11-2007, 11:37 AM
MTGun44, is Ken still working on guns? He used to come to the Topeka gunshow once in a while, but I haven't seen him for a long time.

hunter64
04-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Kuhnhausen Manuals are a great reference for tear down and rebuild. There is alot of missing information in the various manuals, I often think that the info is left out on purpose for legal reasons or a source for work (don't bit the hand that feeds you). The 1911 manual is good and I haven't found any info left out or haven't come across anything that I have needed info on and it was missing. The S&W manual is nothing more than a detailed tear down and how to put it back together, very disappointing.

MtGun44
04-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Fourarmed,

I frequent the Topeka shows, and those in KC area, too. Ken was complaining
about poor health the last time I spent any time talking to him, maybe 8 months
or so ago. I could tell he was about to quit coming to the shows, maybe even
serious health issues, he didn't make it clear if he was just 'run down' or maybe
dying, and while we have chatted many times in the last 20 yrs, we are not
really friends.

Hope he is OK, but I'm afraid if you don't have a copy of his book you will
probably never get one. An excellent intro to smithing the 1911s.

Bill