PDA

View Full Version : 200 gr Sabot

kooldecker
06-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey,
I was thinking about loading up my lyman 200gr SWC into some sabots and using them for deer this year. I am shooting a TC white mountain carbine .50. Does anybody out there have any experience with these at all? at most im shooting 100 yards (more like 50-60) But im just wondering if they will pack enough wollup for a whitetail. Any thoughts?

altheating
06-08-2011, 08:38 AM
kooldecker
Last fall I shot a 7pt buck with a arrow that had no broadhead on it. Yes, having no broadhead on the arrow was by accident of course. I had used the bow for a hunter safety course two weeks before, I knew that there was one arrow in the quiver with out a broadhead. Anyway, opening day, before the sun came up I knocked an arrow (yup, the one without the broad head) At 8am this 7pt showed up. He was shot at 7 yards with my blunt arrow. It penetrated approximately 2" into the deer's heart. He went only 35 yards. Autopsy results showed only a pencil sized hole in one lung and 2" into his heart. You surly don't need anything fancy, but I think there are better bullets for muzzleloading hunting, take for instance the BRP 452-300. (www.brp.castpics.net) This bullet looks to be designed around the Hornady XTP. It shoots very well. One thing that I have learned with 25 years of muzzleloading under my belt is that you do not need maximum charges. 150 grains of powder ads sell llots of muzzleloaders but in the real world I have found very few muzzleloaders that shoot good groups with those large powder charges. Just like with my unplanned wad cutter bow experiment, slow kills. I will take a well placed slow moving shot over a high velocity, hope I hit it shot any day.

45-70 Chevroner
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
What is the twist rate of your barrel. You will need a twist rate of at least 1 in 48" or faster to get a saboted boolit to stabilize. I like the Lyman 215 gr SWC gas check sans the gas check. I load that boolit with sabot over 70 gr. FFG black powder or Pyrodex. I believe that load produced about 1400 FPS, and I was shooting 4" groups at a 100 yards. I was shooting that load in a CVA deer hunter model I think it was called. I sold that gun about 15 years ago. Wish I still had it.

troy_mclure
06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
the faster the twist the better for sabots, most inline muzzle loaders use a 1-28" twist. they are designed to shoot conical s and saboted bullets.

quilbilly
06-14-2011, 12:31 AM
I have been using my White Mountain Carbine with sabots and 429 boolits of the 255 gr persuasion for about 17 years. It has been droppng deer and elk annually for about that long. Off the bench it routinely gets groups of about 1.5 inches at 100 yards with the proper lubing. I named that rifle "Sweet Thing" for a reason. The load is 80 gr of Goex FFF