PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 cruise missle revisited

greenwart
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Midsouth had finally gotten the 170g 6.5 Cruise missle back in stock and I was going to order one, but I started to look at the posts related to that bullet and found that the latest versions were way oversized. .270+. There were discussions of problems even resizing them. Since they would need to be resized and I don't own a sizer or 266 die the costs are going up. Will the Lyman or rcbs dies cast to 266? Would somone who casts for 6.5x55 be willing to part with a few examples(i will reimburse you) that I can test prior to going out and buying something that will not work in my swedes.

bob

303Guy
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
greenwart

Might I suggest that you start by slugging your chamber throat? You never know, that boolit might fit your rifle's throat just fine or with a little bit of tha push.

geargnasher
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
+1 303guy. A couple of good, dead-soft barrel slugs and and a carefully done impact slug of the chamber and throat would save a lot of money.

I have both Lyman moulds and they both cast 2.665" with WW alloy. Neither shoot very well in my two Swedes because they are too small for the throats.

Gear

oscarflytyer
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Bought a CM mold about 4 months ago. Mine casts .269 with my WW + 2% tin. Haven't slugged the bores yet.

I also have another post here looking for loading data for the CM. Not finding much and searching here seems to hit or miss. Any help w/ loads would be appreciated.