PDA

View Full Version : Top punch for Lee moulds

boolit_boy
12-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a 450 lube sizer and was wondering what others use for top punches? I will be using the Lee C430-310-RF and 429-255-SWC.

mooman76
12-30-2006, 08:58 PM
On the swc just use a top punch that is flat. Best match on the other.

imashooter2
12-30-2006, 09:00 PM
You can either pick a nose punch as close as possible from the Lyman or RCBS catalogs, or you can pick one with a larger cavity and custom fit it with epoxy paste. Coat the bullet nose with a release agent (grease, bullet lube, etc.), fill the nose punch cavity with epoxy paste, set the bullet in place nice and square and then lower the ram to imprint the nose into the epoxy.

rebliss
12-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Might want to coat the inside of the sizing die with release agent too, incase the epoxy runs.

imashooter2
12-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I would use a paste like PC7 or JB Weld which won't run. Epoxying your die into the base would be a bad thing...

Kraschenbirn
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
I've made up several "custom" top punches using Brownell's AccraGlass using Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent.

Bill

GooseGestapo
01-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I use an RCBS flat nose punch for the majority of my sizing chores.

Mine is I believe a #348. It is the listed punch for a .357" Wadcutter. It does yeoman duty for everything from a .311 115gr FN to a 405gr FNHP .458" bullet.

The FN bullets just sorta slide along the face of the punch to center in the sizing die.

I size too many different diameters to "epoxy" my die into the press !!!!

I've found about 4 different punches to fill about 95% of my uses.

A Lyman #311 (RN) works for most RN and Semi-points. I even use this with the Lee #312-155gr Semi-Spitzer. Gives a slightly rounder point, but it WORKS. Better than shaving the side of the nose with the "pointed" nose punch that is appropriate for it.

A variance is that I use the correct nose punch for the 225415 (.225" @49.5gr Semi-PT flat nose. Very pointed with a very small flat meplat).

Shepherd2
01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
This is something that has worked for me a couple times when I didn't have the right top punch. I've taken a punch that was way oversized for the boolit in question and packed it as tight as possible with kleenex. Then I make sure the boolit is well centered in the die and ease the boolit up into the top punch. After a couple boolits the paper should be pretty well compressed into the shape you want. This has worked in a pinch for me until I could get the proper punch or do the JB Weld thing.

VTDW
01-06-2007, 09:16 AM
A quick fix that works for me if the boolits do not need a lot of sizing is to just fill the top punch cavity with lube and let the boolit nose squeeze out the excess. I just finished casting and sizing/lubing 1,250 boolits with a large meplat. The top punch that comes with the Lyman 4500 is for a round nosed boolit and this worked just fine for me with no deformed lead. I do need to make myself a correct top punch though.

Dave