PDA

View Full Version : 330gr Gould mold

jwhite
12-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Tomorrow I am going to be trying out my new Lyman 330gr hollow point mold and I was wondering if anyone had any help full hints or pointers with this mold, as I have never used a hollow point mold before. I will be using the bullets in a marlin 45-70 and was planning on loading full power loads with a bullet cast of air cooled wheel weight. Would I be better off with 50-50 WW and pure lead??
Thanks for any info,
Jerry

Baron von Trollwhack
12-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Try to index the hollow pointer to the same place each time when molding. When I used straight ww and had 50 yard neck shots, the hollow part shattered but the rest stayed together for instant kills. Good accuracy with a number of different powders. Used a B-78 rifle.

nighthunter
12-30-2006, 09:31 PM
jwhite ... I've had good luck with IMR 4198 and 3031 with this bullet. I gave a bunch of them to my brother in law ( he helps keep me in WW ) and he claims best accuracy with Varget in his Marlin. It sort of depends on how fast you want to shoot them. I personally don't think I need 2000 fps with this bullet. I would rather have accuracy at 1500 to 1750 fps. The accuracy at 2000 fps is probably obtainable but my shoulder is starting to get a little on the worn side. I used to be sorta hardheaded and into the magnum faze but those days are over. Believe me .... that Gould bullet will kill just fine without going overboard with the velocity.
Nighthunter

Bret4207
12-31-2006, 09:35 AM
With HP moulds I run them as hot as practacle and after the sprue hardens I give the HP pin a slight twist before opening the mould.

I'm afraid I don't any 45 cal rifles, although I know of a local farmer/neighbor who would really be happy if I bought his Brownchester '86 ...

jwhite
12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the information. I got some bullets cast today, took a while to get going but they seemed to come out fine if I did my part right. Biggest trouble I had was getting to used to using a ladle again as the pot I use is a bottom pour and there is not enough clearance to fit the mold under the spout with the hollow point pin in the bottom of the mold. They were measuring .4593-.4595 out of wheel weight so I am going to try them with out sizing and see how they do. Going to load them up with some of the Data 68 powder I got cheap from Natchez, never tried it in the 45-70 before but it works good in everything else I have tried it in.
Jerry

threett1
01-01-2007, 02:04 PM
They work great in my guide gun and handirifle. Load to 1500fps with aa2230c. Easy to shoot and destruction on deer. Mine have been coming out about 340gn with straight ww.

Char-Gar
01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
The Gould is a great bullet and I have killed several deer with it. It was designed as an "Express" load in the 45-70 and 45-90 black powder loads. As such it would travel at 1.3 to 1.5 fps. When cast out of 1-20 (tin to lead) it would expand nicely on deer and put them down very effectively.

Change the alloy jack up the velocity and you have gone beyond what the designer envisioned.

Today, I shoot the bullet over 27/4759. I drop the powder through a long drop tube and put a thin card wad on top. I filled the case with PSB so there will be a little chruch/compression when seating the bullet. I still like 1-20 alloy.

Other alloys might do as well, but I have not tried to find one. This is a game load and not plinker load, so not worth the offer to mess with another alloy. Cast a couple of hundred and you are set to go hunting for many years.

I plink and shoot targets with the RCBS 405.

The wad prevents the powder and PSB from mixing and the compress excludes all air, so we won't be ringing barrels or worse.

You will loose a little meat with the Gould bullet, but you won't have to track a deer either.

Bullshop
01-01-2007, 05:44 PM
If you want a boolit that will expand from a 45 colt revolver at normal velocity try casting the Gould at about 30/1. I size them at .454 for a Ruger bishawk and they shoot good taboot.
If I were to hunt deer with a 45 Colt revolver thats prolly the one I would use.
BIC/BS

Bullshop
01-01-2007, 05:49 PM
With HP moulds I run them as hot as practacle and after the sprue hardens I give the HP pin a slight twist before opening the mould.

I'm afraid I don't any 45 cal rifles, although I know of a local farmer/neighbor who would really be happy if I bought his Brownchester '86 ...
Tpr. Bret
I have a buyer for that 86. Whats he want for it?
BIC/BS

Bret4207
01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Bullshop- There is a deal in the works involving chainsaws, some welding on my part, and few other odds and ends. It's been going for 3 years now and may take 3 more before I take possesion. It's just the kind of deals I cut I guess. Sorry.

rhead
01-01-2007, 06:57 PM
There is anarticle in Handloader December 2003 on that mold. I have been looking for mold ideas since I swapped a pocket knife for a Marlin 95 at the last gunshow. Ken waters spoke highly of the mold and gave several loads. Will that boolit hold together well enough to use on pigs too or will I need to get a 405 grainer also. I was thinking of getting a pin made to fill the hollow point for pig hunting.

Congratulations to all you Cheeseheads out there. It wasn't a real pretty game but it was exciting.

Char-Gar
01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I have never shot a pig with that bullet but would do so without hesitation. I am taking the pig goesn't go over 300 lbs or so. Just use an alloy that will bend and mash and not fracture and blow up. YeP... I am talking a binary tin and lead alloy.

beagle
01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
A pin for a Gould HP works very well. I have one for mine and it gives you the best of both worlds./beagle

There is anarticle in Handloader December 2003 on that mold. I have been looking for mold ideas since I swapped a pocket knife for a Marlin 95 at the last gunshow. Ken waters spoke highly of the mold and gave several loads. Will that boolit hold together well enough to use on pigs too or will I need to get a 405 grainer also. I was thinking of getting a pin made to fill the hollow point for pig hunting.

Congratulations to all you Cheeseheads out there. It wasn't a real pretty game but it was exciting.

rhead
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Beagle: Thanks I thought it probably would, buthan not ever seen any info on it.

chunkum
01-02-2007, 01:49 AM
jwhite,
You need a relatively soft alloy for this bullet. WW/Pb-1/1 has been best for me so far. I couldn't get good accuracy in my BC with it until I softened up the alloy and sized it larger (0.458") I would have gone bigger if it fell out bigger. I think your idea of not sizing may work well for your Marlin. The recommendation above of 1:20 Sn/Pb is likely a good choice. Medium velocities (1300 - 1600 fps) are best for this bullet judging from my shooting trials with it. Though the most accurate load I have in my notes was with 40 gr of Reloader 7, a BHN 11 bullet, and Federal 215 primers, crimiping with a Lyman taper crimmp (for the Marlin, I reckon you'll have to go to a roll type. A Lee Factory Crimp Die would likely do good) Avg mvl was 1866 fps with a SD of 65fps. If I do anymore trials with this bullet, I'll likely slow it down and try the 1:20 alloy, though this load I mention was aboiut 1 1/2" at 50 yards off the picnic table "bench rest". Just don't try for too much velocity and keep your alloy on the soft side and it'll very likely be accurate and effective on game.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

Ricochet
01-02-2007, 01:58 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp Die does work well with this boolit in the "1895" Marlin. And I've never sized mine. They run about .459".

Bret4207
01-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Let be clear this up. I'M BUYING THE GUN. I've had several emails and PM's wanting MY GUN. Yes, it may be another 3 years before I take possession, but it's mine, mine, mine!!!

Really, I'm sorry for the confusion. I chose my wording poorly. Bret

jwhite
01-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Well I got out today to try my new bullets in the marlin, loaded them with 43 grs of Data 68 and a small pinch of dacron. It was blowing a gale here today so I did not do any real accuracy testing, but just plinking down on the beach it seemed to be shooting good. Did manage to head shoot a squirrel with it, no tracking needed!!. I think I will try to slow them down a little, I did not have any sign of leading and it was comfortable to shoot but after testing on some water filled milk jugs and ply wood it seems to be a big fragile, bullet blew up in the first milk jug and found the base(130grs) in the second jug. It would be sudden death on a deer, but quite messy if not placed carefully. I need to get the chronograph out this weekend and check the velocity. All in all I think it is a great bullet and once I find the right load for it will be come a favorite deer load. This past year I used a soft nosed .348 bullet for deer hunting and it worked like a champ so this coming year I will try hollow points.

Jerry

MT Gianni
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Bret, can you put me down as first refusal for your estate if your sons don't want it? :) Gianni.

Dale53
01-03-2007, 01:35 AM
I have the 330 Gould HP and I will use a duplex load (10%, by weight of RL-7) under Swiss 1½ behind the bullet should work quite well in my Ruger #3 45/70. I also have a borrowed Lyman four cavity mould for this bullet without the H.P. That will allow some production for practice and then save the H.P.'s for "business".

Dale53

Bret4207
01-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Gianni- The Good Lord put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. At the rate I'm getting them done, I ain't gonna be allowed to die for a looooooonnnnnnnngggggg time! The boys will hopefully be old men before they start squabbling over Dads estate...