PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 range report.

wallenba
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Great news, and just a little disappointing news. My first cast boolit load in my recently acquired Savage 99 shot terrific groups at 50 yards. But my boolit choice would not feed from the magazine and all rounds had to be hand fed. They fit in the magazine but jammed going to the chamber.
The load was FL sized new Winchester brass, a .309 sized Lee C312-155-2r from Lyman #2 alloy, lubed with carnuba red and gas checked, over 11 grains of Trail Boss and CCI BR-2 primers. Boolit was seated at 2.490 OAL, just a moderate crimp with a lee FCD. No Chrono. :mrgreen:
Optics are; Millet RedDot This is the last and best group of the morning 12 shots total.
OH Yeah... forgot to mention it's a .300 Savage.

Hardcast416taylor
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Very Nice! I`ve found the Lyman #311466 sized .310" and GC over 21 gr. Rel. 7 is a very accurate load thru a 99. Yes, I feel your frustration in finding an OAL that works thru your rifle, been there done that.Robert

Southern Son
06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Wallenba, you are halfway there, it is shooting great, you just need to get it to feed :bigsmyl2:

wallenba
06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Wallenba, you are halfway there, it is shooting great, you just need to get it to feed :bigsmyl2:

Curious thing. I always make at least one dummy to test function. It performed well at home before going to the range, and again last night when trying to make it repeat the malfunction. I could not replicate the jamming. Fearsome confused. Guess I'll have to repeat. I was planning to neck size these, but that might alter the outcome. Guess I'll neck some and FL some.:???:

Tatume
06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Hi Dutch,

When you chamber the neck-sized cases I think you will find it more difficult to close the bolt. My Model 99F (308 Win) will accept ammo that is neck sized, but it is very tight. Full length sizing is much better, and a small base die might even be still better. Because of this, I use new cases for hunting ammo.

Take care, Tom

wallenba
06-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Tatume, with the results I got with the virgin brass, neck sizing might be a moot point anyway. But I will try a few anyway just because I have the die.

x101airborne
06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, dont partially resize the brass for the 99. I was spotting for a buddy who bought one in 308. He partially re-sized to the point the lever was hard to close. When he fired, the lever went forward, the bolt back and he got two broken fingers for his trouble. I got hit with brass and pressure. Now I always lay on the LEFT when spotting.

Save yourself and your rifle the trouble. I cannot explain the incident but it is accurate from my point of experience. There are other options to explore before doing partial sizing.