PDA

View Full Version : Weird primer extrusion?

Typecaster
06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
I started to process a batch of "gift" .303 Brutish cases this morning. About 2/3 wouldn't go into the #7 RCBS shellholder. They are from 2 different manufacturers, same problem. Checking them carefully, I saw that the primers were distorted next to the firing pin indentation—a little raised bump. Not cratered around the firing pin, not backing out of the primer pocket, just the little zit-like bump.

Tapping the bump flat let them slide into the shellholder easily, and they slipped out perfectly after being deprimed.

They're now drying in the sun after a citric acid wash, and I'm just curious about what could create the bump—just a buggered-up bolt face?

Richard

scb
06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
—just a buggered-up bolt face?

Without seeing a picture, that would be my guess. Rust pit or some other damage.

MtGun44
06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Primers leak gas. Not cleaning the bolt face with corrosive ammo very often leads
to a ring of pits around the primer OD. You probably have a rust pit that the primer
is extruding into. Not good, but at least not dangerous. MAYBE a good cleaning
with a wire brush and a dab of JB Weld, then cure it and file smooth will fix it. It is
in pure compression, so the epoxy may be able to take it.

Bill

Typecaster
06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks. That's what I guessed. These were free cases, not created in my #3 or #5 Enfields. I checked the bolt heads in mine and they are smooth.

Richard

Typecaster
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Figured it out! The shellholder doesn't have the milled slot like all the others I checked that would allow insertion of a backed-out or deformed primer. The slot would have let me insert any of the cases with the deformed primers. All's well that ends well.

Richard

44man
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
An over size hole for the firing pin in the bolt of the rifle they were shot in can cause that.

stubert
06-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Be carefull depriming them. I have found 2 differant size flash holes in my .303 brass. My universal rcbs de capper die will not fit the smaller holes and bends the pin.

prs
06-13-2011, 10:12 AM
An over size hole for the firing pin in the bolt of the rifle they were shot in can cause that.

Right! And even though your other case holders will let them pass, do BEWARE the errosion of the firing pin hole or wear of the pin.

prs