PDA

View Full Version : Tippers ?

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I was shooting this AM and a fellow shooting a 45-110 was complaining about his Shiloh barrel actually measuring 1-19 rather than the 1-18 he ordered.
He was shooting a Postell bullet of some sort with black His 100 yard groups were 1-1/2 to 2" at worst with A Soule sight and spirit level front sight.I wish i knew more about the load.
His holes all had a longer rip at the bottom of the print in exactly the same location for every shot, but the bullet cut looked perfectly round.From my experience shooting the Pope 308403 bullet at 1100 fps when it wasn't stable the "egg" wasn't in the same spot.

Was he dreaming it up? or has anyone else seen this?

.I think it was the angle of the target(a bit tipped forward at the top) and paper composition stapled to the cardboard..

HMP

stubert
06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I would think it would be so improbable that the boolits all yawed in the same direction. I think the target being at an angle makes scence.

tomme boy
06-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Also depends on the backing of the target. Some will make it look tore while other will be clean. Have seen this a lot.

Doc Highwall
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
You also have the grain of the target paper.

HARRYMPOPE
06-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Sounds like we are on the same page.When you use a tight patch or brush i am not sure how accurate you can gauge twist anyhow.I have done it a bunch and can tell a 10 from a 12 but even those varied a bit.

Paper grain is a good scenario doc highwall

cajun shooter
06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
As a range officer for many years and having stapled thousands of targets as everyone else has, it's the paper or the backing or both. A bullet that has yaw will not hit in the same group. If it did it would be something that shooters would try to do.