PDA

View Full Version : Are two lube procedures too much?

bullpen7979
06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Recently experienced some leading with LLA, sized to .357 and loaded to 1.08 over 3.5 grains TG. Not real bad, but I only fired 8 shots. Chore boy +brush+hoppes9,= 99.9% gone.

I cast several out of the 356-125-2R mold the other day, with about 1% Sn. (two days ago to be exact), and was thinking of doing a small pan lube batch with the hollow stick of javelina I threw in the cart at Midway the other day. I also think I'm going to forego the sizing process for now, and see how they shoot at .359-.360.

Couple of questions.

1. Im not sure the hollow stick of Jav will cover a lot of territory in a cake pan. Is there something fairly handily available that I could use to stretch this and make a decent pan lube formula? Yes, I can use a smaller pan if need be. Do I just need to pour to right above the groove? I looked for beeswax at the local farm store (figured they would have it if anyone would, but alas, no joy.)

2. I am inclined to tumble lube them as well. I have a little of the 45/45/10 formula I made a week or so ago...I guess my thought was to coat the otherwise uncoated area of the boolit and further help shield the bbl from the harmful nastiness.. Input?

PS this for my CZ P-01 9mm. Failed to mention that.

Echo
06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I have always advocated loading the fattest boolit that will reliably chamber, in any automatic, so your plan passes my muster.

1. How about a pot pie pan? About right for doing 20 or so, then another 20, &cetera.

And try the sewing/quilting stores for beeswax - or one of our members!

2. Why not?

Alloy is WW + 1%, right?

runfiverun
06-05-2011, 02:27 PM
randy rat usually has beeswax.
i'm gonna throw out the old do you know what your bbl measures?
many 9mm's have 358 bbls on them, so going bigger [if they chamber] would/could be the answer you seek.
once you get a layer of lube in the bbl [conditioned] leave it there.
look for the pain lubing recommendations here in the lube section it will give you a better idea of what does and doesn't work.
size and hardness are most likely your issues.
but it certainly doesn't, hurt to find a lube system that you understand and are comfortable with.

MtGun44
06-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Don't cut the 50-50, please! Use it as it is if you want an effective test.
Try the better lube with .357 diameter. Lid for cookie tin like some Christmas
cookies come it is good. Put down a BUNCH of boolits and pour the melted stuff
around them.

OR - make a small cardboard box about 3/8 deep by 3"x3" if you only want to
test a few boolits. Line with one piece of aluminum foil, set boolits on bases and
pour in 50-50. Or just smear some on or even dip them in melted 50-50 up to
the crimp groove. Two dips or maybe three, depending on the temp of the 50-50
and then scrape off excess with a tiny straight edge of metal.

Bill

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Leading usually isn't caused by lube failure, unless it's tumble-lube in a high-pressure cartridge, then it is always something I suspect. Easy enough to eliminate by pan-lubing a few with a decent lube like you propose.

Leading is most commonly caused by gas-cutting or flame erosion of the boolit in areas where it leaks gas going down the barrel. This is why proper fit is so important, and why an undersized boolit entering the bore will turn it into a sewer pipe in short order.

Slug your barrel with soft lead, pull a seated/crimped boolit and compare the measurements, that will tell you where your problem is.

Gear

Centaur 1
06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Instead of using a smaller pan, keep all of your boolits to one side then add a lead ingot to raise the lube level.