PDA

View Full Version : "Sams" vehicle battery info

Jeffrey
06-05-2011, 11:05 AM
My Dodge van needs a new battery. Having had bad experience with sams / walmart tires, seems like they sell "seconds", I am leary about buying a battery there. Any input / advice. Thanks, Jeffrey

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
If you are leery about going there, dont go

sundog
06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Interstate.

felix
06-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Or, Delco. ... felix

Jeffrey
06-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Sams battery price is significantly lower. Break out the old saw about getting what you pay for.

cheese1566
06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Seems like the Sams/Wallyworld batteries are always low on electrolyte...

shotman
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
consumer report gives them a good rating Cosco is better

schutzen
06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Go with Sundogs recomendation, Interstate. I have had very good service from them. Fast starts after sitting outside by the river all night during the winters.

Mumblypeg
06-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I replaced an Interstate battery in my 1995 F-150 just last year... it had been in there for 10 years... need I say more?

WILCO
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Sams battery price is significantly lower.

Pick your battles and do what ya gotta do.

Guesser
06-05-2011, 12:34 PM
My '97 Dodge has a 6 Y.O. Interstate, group 27, it sits for weeks at a time and has never failed, winter or summer. "Interstate", they are everywhere and have a very good warranty that will never have to be used.

c3d4b2
06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
FYI,

If you get a Sam's battery have them make a copy of the receipt. The original can fade before the battery's expiration date. The copy will not fade.

winelover
06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Always bought Delco, until one day I got off work only to find my truck wouldn't turn over. One of the flat style side mount posts fell off. Since Walmart was right acroos the street I bought one of their better batteries with a 3 year "free replacement". Well it lasted 3 years and 1 month. After the fact, I heard that same complaint from others too. Needless to say that's the first and last battery I will buy from Walmart / Sam's! Went to O'Reiley's / Murry's for a Delco and was disappointed to find out they no longer carry Delco. Neither does Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts !! Other than the GM Dealer, I havn't run across them.

Winelover

mooman76
06-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I've bought a few at Walmart over the years and never had a problem and they are garanteed. Seems now adays you can have problems with batteries from anywhere. Batteries here don't usually last as long because of the heat but I've done ok lately.

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 01:01 PM
I've been a professional automotive/diesel tech for over 15 years, and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that Interstate batteries distributed in Texas have become JUNK. They used to be the best, I bought a new one for my very first vehicle 20 years ago and it would still crank fine on a warm day nine years later when I replaced it. It cranked slow a few times on cold mornings so I got a new one. The new one lasted three years. I have worked at several shops that quit dealing with them entirely because of the failure rate had become so high. Now, I don't know who could afford one of them from a dealer, an MTP-78 like fits most full-size Chevy trucks costs about $135 right now, and will cost you plenty more after it leaks acid down into the positive cable jacket and eats the wires strands out of the crimp on the terminal and then kills the starter from low voltage/amps.

Johnson Controls makes a large percentage of the brand-name batteries we see, but it's funny you you have a common failure with several batteries of one brand, but not of another brand made by the same company in the same plant. Interstates leak worse as an average than any other line Johnson Controls makes that I've found, it's just an awful mess under so many hoods, I've gotton to where I just loath the freakin' things.

My advice is to by a cheap, Everstart Maxx battery at Sam's club, because they have a really good nationwide warranty, and if you take care of them, they are as good or better than anything else out there. I have finally replaced all of my Interstate batteries with either Everstart or the ones O-reilly carries, Super Start.

My boss got a Super Start battery display and stock them at work now since he told Interstate to take a hike, SS batteries are made by a company called East Penn Manufacturing and we have had zero, that is NO leaks and only one warranty claim in two and a half years. Pretty good results considering he was averaging less than a year on 30% of his installations with Interstate.

Gear

fishnbob
06-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I heard somewhere that 3 companys make all of the batteries available in the USA, but I'll bet that they have different specs for each one. I just replaced the Interstate batteries in my 04 bass boat. That's 7 years of draining & recharging, not bad. I couldn't find an Interstate dealer locally, so my next choice is AC Delco and they were not available, so it was off to, you got it, Walmart and 2 of their group 27's for the trolling motor. There is still the original Interstate cranking battery in the boat for the ol' Merc. My advice, "Do what you gotta do".

a.squibload
06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Try Optima, or other gel-wrap type battery if you can't find an Optima.
Costs more but no problems. Had one for 13 years in 3 different vehicles.
They can stand sitting unused for a longer period. No liquid to check.
No acid fumes to destroy connections, battery holder, etc.
Look for 'em at 4WD shops, racing catalogs, etc.

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Try Optima, or other gel-wrap type battery if you can't find an Optima.
Costs more but no problems. Had one for 13 years in 3 different vehicles.
They can stand sitting unused for a longer period. No liquid to check.
No acid fumes to destroy connections, battery holder, etc.
Look for 'em at 4WD shops, racing catalogs, etc.

There's just one problem with Optima batteries. They have to be charged slowly or they overheat and fry. A Dodge van from 1995 and newer has a PCM-contolled alternator field which can and will go to 100% duty cycle and demand full alternator output if the charging system fails to come up to 13.8 volts at any point. If you let it sit for two weeks and the microprocessors and clock drain the battery to 50% capacity, it will start fine and then send 65-105 amps to the battery until the system voltage comes back up. Problem is, this will take 20-30 minutes to accomplish and the battery will have roasted in the meantime. When charging a spiral-cell or Absorbent Glass Mat battery in the shop we have a special charger that electronically monitors the resistance and amp draw of the battery, trickle-charging it without overheating. The Dodge van's charging system is not so kind.

Gear

sundog
06-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree that the O'Reilly Super Start is an okay battery. My second choice.

leadman
06-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Optima batteries also have a lower amp capacity than wet batteries of the same size. This is especially true of the deep cycle.

I have been using Sam's batteries for years and have no complaints.

Tom-ADC
06-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Costco the Kirkland brand tested well in Consumer Report magazine.

lylejb
06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
I heard somewhere that 3 companys make all of the batteries available in the USA, but I'll bet that they have different specs for each one.

BINGO!!!!

Interstate, Johnson controls, and Exide make 90% of the batteries out there, with 100's of store / private labels stuck on them.

There are a few, smaller, makers, but not many anymore.

I was a Ford dealership tech for 14 years, and Ford motorcraft batteries came off the Johnson controls truck. Which was kinda funny, because it had a great big AC Delco graphic painted on the side. Hmmmm.

I'm now at a Dodge dealership, and our Mopar batteries come off a truck with a great big Interstate graphic painted on the side....

I'm sure the larger store / private brands DO contract for batteries made to their specs / price points. So WHO made it may not matter as much as what the contract said to make.

I think you would be best with a mid priced battery, not a cheep one. I think it really does come down to you get what you pay for.

Jeffrey
06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Taking it all in...
Jeffrey

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Lyle, Interstate is made by Johson Controls. The number of automotive battery manufacturers in the US is difficult to determine because they open/close/merge/change names so much, but basically there are only a few other than Exide and JC. Also, there are very few imported auto batteries here due to the transportation expense.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Fleetfarm batteries are advertised as made in WI.
they are nearly as ecomonical as Walsmart.
I've never had a bad one, I do replace them after the warrentee is up.
One of them was in my Jeep for 4.5 years then since it was still
good, I put it in my wood splitter (it has a 13 HP Honda engine),
it has been in the wood splitter since 2004...that's another 7 years of service.
Jon

Johnch
06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I used to work at a local place that tests batterys
Hate to think how many batterys I cut apart after we tested them till they failed

We would get in a load of batterys to test
50 or so in each lot
All the batterys would be from the same maker
But each lot would have a different name on them

Long story short
Sear's or whoever would contract a maker to make XXXX number of a battery
There are ways to cut costs
Such as thinner plates , a touch less acid and others

So in some respects you do get what you pay for
That is , if they are ordering the better battery to sell

Oh also
XYZ may get batterys for the east coast from a differnt maker/plant than west coast

So a battery brand that is great in 1 area of the country , maybe not the greatest elseware

And don't think even brand name are the greatest
Just before I left
We did a big battery test .....close to a thousand batterys or more
As a brand name / maker was being sued for a whole bunch of misslabled batterys
Seems the cheapest battery ( to make ) was mis labled to say it had 150 more CCA than it realy had

We had tarped pallets of tested batterys setting in the parking lot for 2+ years while they played that mess out in court
Not sure if anyone went to jail over it or if they could prove who did it

But I know a lot of batterys were replaced for free if you went back to where you bought them

To this day
When I need a new battery , I call my former boss and ask who's battery I should buy this month

John

300winmag
06-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Interstate.
#1 in my book.

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I notice all of you who are still trupeting the glory of Interstate batteries are not from the South or Southwest. Like Johnch pointed out, there are plants that make batteries, and the battery might come from any one of them, depending upon where it is marketed, regardless of brand. That's why I specifically said Interstates sold in Texas are JUNK. I see them from all over the state, same strory. Most shops around here don't carry them anymore. Another thing, climate. Interstate batteries leak to buggary in the heat, causing electrolyte loss and corroding everything around them. Heat is also the #1 killer of batteries, with vibration being second. Up North and in the cooler areas of the Midwest this isn't nearly such a problem, so opinions will differ. The batteries might just be made in a better plant outside the Texas distribution area, also.

Gear

waksupi
06-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Check your Yellow Pages. Here there is, or was the last time I bought a battery, a shop you can go into and watch him MAKE your GUARANTEE'd battery.

bhn22
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
As you've seen, batteries are a hit or miss proposition. If you can find a commercial off-road battery that will fit your application, that may be the way to go. Exide does make a lot of the off-road batteries for farm & construction equipment, and there are different grades of them. One simple test is to weigh the batteries. Heavier batteries have more lead plates. Exide makes, or used to make a really cool battery for Bobcat, Case, etc, that had a high plate count, plus it had the plates epoxied to the bottom of the case to help prevent damage from vibration. These were available in Group 27 IIRC, and were worth the price. Sams batteries (that last time I looked) were from Champion, and weighed practically nothing. I'm pretty big on Exide, and if necessary will call the local distributor to get a true heavy-duty battery.

Blammer
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
yes I work for Autozone

We get more "never" start aka Everstart batteries in for servicing (aka they are dead and need replacing) than any other brand. The are basically cheap walmart batteries. I would stay far away from them.

Someone mentioned Optima batteries. They are VERY expensive. Say $200 per battery for one that you could get a BETTER battery for $100. The optimas we sell have a 3 year free replacement and after 3 yrs you own it, no pro rating for money back after the free replacement period is up.

I personally would recommend a Duralast battery from Autozone. 2 yr free replacement and 7 yrs pro rated. Meaning, if the battery dies and it's 4 yrs old they will pro rate it for the life of 7 yrs, usually you'll get about $50 credit towards another battery from your old one.

Most Duralast batteries I've had returned to the store have been at a min 5 yrs old. Not bad for a $89 battery.

frankenfab
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Sam's has the lowest price I could find for Optima batteries. I paid $162 for a Yellow top. I bought an Optima this time because after my stereo drained my Auto Zone battery about 5 times, it bit the dust.

The Optima batteries are also supposed to be more resistant to vibration and impact. I had the new battery sitting on the fender well of my 2000 GMC, went to the back door of the van to get a tool. I heard a sliding noise, and before I could react, my brand new $160 battery is laying in the driveway. It bent the H#77 out of the top posts.(I was literaly sick at my stomach at this time.) I went ahead and checked the voltage and hooked it up, and it has been working great for 4 months.

It did mention in the pamphlet about charging restrictions, but I have never had to charge it.

shooterg
06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I've had TWO Interstate batteries go bad in the last year, both with the 65 month "guarantee" that proved to be worth squat. Used to be that a battery did not make the advertised months, you got pro-rated price on replacement but the 1st died after 49 months and I was told at the garage it was purchased from no pro-rate after 48 ! Email to Interstate remains unanswered. Current Interstate in truck died this month, only 13 months old, guess I'll try for a pro-rate but hate the thought of getting another dud. Got an Energizer from Sam's in the wife's car for 2 years, we'll see.

Houndog
06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Most of my experience with batteries has been with class 8 trucks equipped with big bore high horsepower Diesels and in my OPINION nobody makes a better battery than Goulds/National Battery Company! Sears top of the line diehard batteries used to be made by them as well as Kenworth and Mack branded truck batteries. My next favorite brand is Deka batteries made in Redding Pensylvania. Keep in mind we're talking about an application that requires 4 -12 volt batteries in good shape of at least 900 CCA to start the beast! The best advice I can give anybody replacing a battery is to buy the biggest, highest quality (usually has the longest warranty) battery with the most CCA that will go in the battery tray, keep it CLEAN and keep the terminals tight and free of corosion! When the load on the battery goes way up, that extra CCA WILL pay off big time!

Digger
06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Gearnasher ,, I happen to have a few small buckets with Johnson Controls label on them ......[smilie=1:
They come in handy when your on the hunt for wheel weights .....:bigsmyl2:

C.F.Plinker
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I used to work for a company that bought a number of large industrial batteries every year. The Exide industrial battery rep gave a bunch of us a tour through their local car battery plant. At the end of the tour where he showed us the label room. He was asked what we should look for when buying a car battery. He gave a two part answer. First by the heaviest battery you can find that will fit in your vehicle. More weight means more lead and more electrolyte and that is what you are paying for. Second, wait until the warranty period is up, pop the caps on the cells, and fill to the appropriate level with distilled water. Repeat, distilled water. I have been doing that since the early 70s and normally get at least half again what the waranty life is.

I usually get the Sears DieHard battery. One time when I got a Interstate (my battery conked out in a town that did not have a Sears) I had to get an Interstate. It only lasted about 3 years and I replaced it with a DieHard that was still in it when I got rid of the truck. Now I have a Dodge van that I bought used. The battery didn't start it on Friday. It is an 11 year old Interstate. I popped the caps and added a pint and a half of distilled water, jump started it, and went off on a mini vacation. No problems. Tomorrow I will check the specific gravity of the electrolye and see if it needs to be replaced. I will look at Sears and at Costco and see if I can find out what they weigh.

BTW when you look at batteries there is usually and sticker on them telling when they were made. A may be January, B is February etc. If you can get the freshest one you can find. There is no sense in getting a battery that has been on the shelf for 6 months when the one next to it has only been there for 2 months.

firefly1957
06-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Never had a problem with a battery from Walmart have bought 4 over 15 years for 4 different cars. The oldest on was put in bout as back battery in 1999 it went bad last year not because it was bad but I let it freeze.

geargnasher
06-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Most of my experience with batteries has been with class 8 trucks equipped with big bore high horsepower Diesels and in my OPINION nobody makes a better battery than Goulds/National Battery Company! Sears top of the line diehard batteries used to be made by them as well as Kenworth and Mack branded truck batteries. My next favorite brand is Deka batteries made in Redding Pensylvania. Keep in mind we're talking about an application that requires 4 -12 volt batteries in good shape of at least 900 CCA to start the beast! The best advice I can give anybody replacing a battery is to buy the biggest, highest quality (usually has the longest warranty) battery with the most CCA that will go in the battery tray, keep it CLEAN and keep the terminals tight and free of corosion! When the load on the battery goes way up, that extra CCA WILL pay off big time!

Deka is made by East Penn, same company that makes the O'reilly Super Start. Goulds/National are very good too, usually last longer than the starters on Series 60 Detroit KWs, that's a long time.

Gear

evan price
06-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Walmart tires are not "seconds". If they are the exact same tire brand and model as you find at the big tire stores, they are the same tires. HOWEVER Walmart demands that their vendors supply them tires to meet a minimum spec at a minimum price, so tire brands that you find "only" at a WalMart are probably NOT the same as any other tire out there. The Douglas tires for example are built to Walmart price point by a "major name maker". Goodyear and Michelin and others also make tires branded with their name but with a model name for Walmart you won't find anywhere else; these are cheaper for a reason.

WalMart's batteries are no better or worse I have found than the ones at AutoZone or Advance Auto et al. I used to use Interstates but I find that their quality has slipped a lot in the past years.

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts. Add to the mix DEKA (which is East Penn) and that's pretty much your choices.

As long as you treat your batteries well and don't run them dead too many times they last a while. I typically get about 6-7 years from a battery no matter who makes it.

mold maker
06-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Interstate battery is the one that picks up the WW that we need. Ever notice the answer is always NO where you see their sign.

twotoescharlie
06-07-2011, 07:22 PM
some of wallyworlds batteries set on the shelves for a long period of time, better to get one at a place that has a quicker turnover of stock.

TTC

koehn,jim
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I usually get a sears die hard they cost more but on a cold winter morning they crank pretty good

evan price
06-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Whatever battery you buy, look for the manufacturer's date code on the battery. Exide uses an alphanumeric code- there is a different color round sticker for each month. For example if your battery says B1 on the sticker, it was made in the second month (B is second letter) of the year ending in 1 (2011) so it is actually 4 months old on the shelf. The newest battery today would be F1 (June 2011). They also color-code the stickers so the year can be determined; I don't know the colors but for example a F1 from 2011 might be blue but an F1 from 2001 would be red possibly.

Bret4207
06-08-2011, 06:14 AM
I've had good luck with Wally World batteries. I think it's more due to the charging system than the battery. A poorly maintained system with lots of dirt and corrosion isn;t going to hold up with any brand.

starmac
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Sams here has interstate as well as some other brands.

L1A1Rocker
06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Interstate.

+1 Interstate makes very good bateries

Johnch
06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I usually get a sears die hard they cost more but on a cold winter morning they crank pretty good

Localy at least
That is the very last brand of battery I every would buy

John

fecmech
06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
First by the heaviest battery you can find that will fit in your vehicle. More weight means more lead and more electrolyte and that is what you are paying for. Second, wait until the warranty period is up, pop the caps on the cells, and fill to the appropriate level with distilled water. Repeat, distilled water. I have been doing that since the early 70s and normally get at least half again what the waranty life is.

A double +1 on that! I ran the vehicle shop at work for 6 yrs when they pulled the aircraft out of town. I let Interstate in to supply me with batteries for just under 2 yrs and then I got rid of them. On their top of the line batteries we averaged a little over a year! The OEM batteries that came with the vans usually did about 2 years before failing. If you want to know whats good and whats not, maintain a fleet of delivery vans for a few years! A local fellow with a battery company took over and his batteries were made in Pa and did well over 2 yrs in our vans. His advice to me was exactly what I quoted above, buy the heaviest battery that fits and use distilled water.

PatMarlin
06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I quite on Walmart batteries.

Costco batteries have been great. More cranking amps. Heavier. Getting much better life for my diesel and equipment. I don't know who makes them, but they are very good.

Jeffrey
06-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks all. Yesterday the wife got a Energizer from Sams. I'll remember and follow the advice on distilled water. Jeffrey