PDA

View Full Version : Truck weights - stickies?

selmerfan
06-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I picked up the first bucket of wheelweights today from a new source - they had previously thrown them in the trash until I offered to leave a bucket! I got a 5 gallon pail 3/4 full after a month for nothing more than the donuts I brought them for afternoon break. I expected to see a bunch of huge clip-on wheelweights, but 3/4 of it was huge stickies, some a pound or more, and very thick, but still bendable - pure lead. I didn't know they used stickies on trucks, is this something new?

beagle
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Haven't seen a stick on truck weight either but I don't see why not. When I had a source for truck weights, they seemed to produce harder bullets. Wish I had an 18 wheeler trailer load now. Good score./beagle

Three44s
06-05-2011, 11:00 AM
The "truck stickies" are for alluminum wheels.

We can't beat the lead shortage outright ........... but we can RECYCLE!

If we catch the vast majority of our practice slugs and only lose our huntin' slugs ......... we will be good until sanity reappears.

(That's my theory anyway)

Three 44s

cbrick
06-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Three44s is correct.

Stick-on weights are for alloy wheels of trucks just as they are for cars. Alloy wheels on trucks are becoming more and more common with the attempt to reduce weight. Looks also plays a part but the prime reason is weight.

Can't clip on a weight onto a guys brand new and extremely expensive alloy wheels (18 of them) without enduring his wrath, besides, the alloy wheel has a much thicker rim (edge) making clip-ons impratical. Thus the stick-ons.

Rick

Ohio Rusty
06-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I really like those thick stick on WW's for trucks. They are the nicest, soft lead, and make excellent muzzleloader boolits, and lead for a pure lead tin mix for boolits like 30 to 1 to 40 to 1 mixes. You are lucky to get them. I have a hand full of them myself, and find them to be a great source of pure lead.
Count yer blessings today !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

tuckerdog
06-05-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm an over the road truckdriver and the company I work for does all thier own tire work, I get all the used ww's. I also hit truck stop tire shops, the take is small but steady, around 100# a year. Yes they make nice muzzelloader boolits and are FREE!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I was walking across the parking lot after taking a shower, headed back to my truck, and I found these:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Lead.jpg

Gotta hit up the shops when I have time.

I also recycle my lead in a boolit trap, many times! (But some times it is just fun clanging the steel!)