PDA

View Full Version : More wheel weights

XBT
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
I just bought 200 lbs. of wheel weight alloy, already cleaned and cast into usable ingots. I paid fifty dollars for it, the highest price I have ever paid for wheel weights, but considering the price of scrap metal nowadays I don’t suppose the price I paid was too bad.

I hid the stuff away in the corner of the garage with the rest of my casting alloys and it makes a nice pile.

The high price of scrap metal and all the talk of tighter controls on lead have been making me nervous. Running out of boolit casting alloy would not be good.

targetshootr
12-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I'd say you got a good deal. l have 20 buckets of ww in the garage and still don't feel like it's enough.

TedH
12-29-2006, 08:56 PM
You can never have too much! Better stock up while you can.

Quality NUt
12-30-2006, 06:24 AM
I agree... we can never have too much lead / alloys stashed away.
I saw an amazing magic trick today... A fellow turned a few creme filled doughnuts into (4) 5 gal buckets of [B]WW[B]. I want to see Copperfield do that one. lol & lol again:-D
The real trick was they supplied the coffee and I got to help eat those luscious treats.
The guys I deal with are really great guys and some are shooters. They just don't cast or reload. I tried ONCE to get them started, but to my benefit, they're not interested.
:castmine: & :castmine: again

hunter64
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
As far as I am concerned, you can't have enough lead. In Europe the tree huggers have successfully banned lead from all shooting ranges both indoor and outdoor, only jacketed bullets. So you will notice that all the import car repair places that have car's from europe will only have zinc or metal wheel weights. I have about 2 ton's of processed lead in 25 lbs ingots (cast iron bread mold) and about another ton in 1 lb. ingots in 5 gallon pails. I have fugured out with the amount of shooting I do it will last me about 20 years, not good enough. I have been getting as much as I can because I want to ensure I have enough for my kids also just in case the green peacers wag the governements tail hard enough. The only thing I dread is haveing to move, what a pain in the you know what that would be, lol.

felix
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Got enough powder and primers? ... felix

sundog
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm not sure how much enough is, but I'm not there yet. Lead, GC, powder, or primer. sundog

Murphy
01-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure how much enough is, but I'm not there yet. Lead, GC, powder, or primer. sundog

Sundog,

Just a couple of weeks ago I had my brother in Oklahoma City check out some places for me. The cheapest he could find that would sell any was at a recylers...at 35 cent's a pound. *OUCH*

I got out and about this afternoon and managed to round up 285Lbs at about 20 cent's a pound.

XBT, considering the WW's were already smelted, and the clips removed...you didn't get hurt any in my book to be honest. I'm taking in the time & money it would take to smelt down the wheel weights, flux it and make ingots.

Currently I figure I'm sitting on around 1100-1200 pounds of alloy all together. And I'd feel much better if I had about 4 times that much again to be honest.

Murphy

handyrandyrc
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I sold a guy in Utah 200 pounds of lead ingots. For 50 dollars. Who would have thunk??? ;)

kywoodwrkr
01-11-2007, 07:05 PM
handyrandyrc,
They wouldn't be described as "wheel weight alloy, already cleaned and cast into usable ingots" would they? [smilie=1:
Or should that read, they weren't described as---
DaveP kywoodwrkr

XBT
01-11-2007, 11:36 PM
It’s a small world, guys. handyrandyrc, I’ll put the ingots to good use.

Hunter
01-12-2007, 01:20 AM
I am luck enough to have a few connections still where I can get them for free. I am sitting on about 500 pounds of w-w and plan of looking this weekend for more. Having a touch of OCD does not help.

dragonrider
01-12-2007, 08:00 PM
This is what I get every couple of weeks
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/wheel%20weights/wheelweights001.jpg

this what I have on hand for wheel weight's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/wheel%20weights/wheelweights004.jpg

and what I have on hand for ingots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/wheel%20weights/wheelweights003.jpg

So far I have been lucky these have all been free and he has been happy to get rid of them. Could change without notice. So I'll keep getting them as long as they are free.

this is about 60 lbs of ingots from my last smelting session.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/wheel%20weights/wheelweights005.jpg

Smelting might be on hold now until early spring it's beginning to get cold around here. We have been enjoying some temps way above normal and as yet we have no snow.