PDA

View Full Version : Second living Medal of Honor Army Ranger 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry

DCP
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
An Army Ranger who lost his right hand and suffered shrapnel wounds after throwing an armed grenade away from his fellow Soldiers will be the second living Medal of Honor recipient from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On July 12, 2011, President Obama will award Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry with the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. Petry will receive the honor for his courageous actions during combat operations against an armed enemy in Paktya, Afghanistan, on May 26, 2008.

Petry now serves as part of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Fort Benning, Ga.

"It's very humbling to know that the guys thought that much of me and my actions that day, to nominate me for that," said Petry, on learning he had been nominated for the medal.

At the time of his actions in Afghanistan, Petry was assigned to Company D, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. Petry's actions came as part of a rare daylight raid to capture a high-value target.

On that day, he was to locate himself with the platoon headquarters in the target building once it was secured. Once there, he was to serve as the senior noncommissioned officer at the site for the remainder of the operation.

Recognizing one of the assault squads needed assistance clearing their assigned building, Petry relayed to the platoon leader that he was moving to that squad to provide additional supervision and guidance during the clearance of the building.

Once the residential portion of the building had been cleared, Petry took a fellow member of the assault squad, Pvt. 1st Class Lucas Robinson, to clear the outer courtyard. Petry knew that area had not been cleared during the initial clearance.

Petry and Robinson, both Rangers, moved into an area of the compound that contained at least three enemy fighters who were prepared to engage friendly forces from opposite ends of the outer courtyard.

The two Soldiers entered the courtyard. To their front was an opening followed by a chicken coop. As the two crossed the open area, an enemy insurgent fired on them. Petry was wounded by one round, which went through both of his legs. Robinson was also hit in his side plate by a separate round.

While wounded and under enemy fire, Petry led Robinson to the cover of the chicken coop. The enemy continued to deliver fire at the two Soldiers.

As the senior Soldier, Petry assessed the situation and reported that contact was made and that there were two wounded Rangers in the courtyard of the primary target building.

Upon hearing the report of two wounded Rangers, Sgt. Daniel Higgins, a team leader, moved to the outer courtyard. As Higgins was moving to Petry and Robinson's position, Petry threw a thermobaric grenade in the vicinity of the enemy position.

Shortly after that grenade exploded -- which created a lull in the enemy fire -- Higgins arrived at the chicken coop and assessed the wounds of the two Soldiers.

While Higgins evaluated their wounds, an insurgent threw a grenade over the chicken coop at the three Rangers. The grenade landed about 10 meters from the three Rangers, knocked them to the ground, and wounded Higgins and Robinson. Shortly after the grenade exploded, Staff Sgt. James Roberts and Spc. Christopher Gathercole entered the courtyard, and moved toward the chicken coop.

With three Soldiers taking cover in the chicken coop, an enemy fighter threw another grenade at them. This time, the grenade landed just a few feet from Higgins and Robinson.

Recognizing the threat that the enemy grenade posed to his fellow Rangers, Petry -- despite his own wounds and with complete disregard for his personal safety -- consciously and deliberately risked his life to move to and secure the live enemy grenade and consciously throw the grenade away from his fellow Rangers, according to battlefield reports.

As Petry released the grenade in the direction of the enemy, preventing the serious injury or death of Higgins and Robinson, it detonated and amputated his right hand.

With a clear mind, Petry assessed his wound and placed a tourniquet on his right arm. Once this was complete, he reported that he was still in contact with the enemy and that he had been wounded again.

After the blast that amputated Petry's hand, Roberts began to engage the enemy behind the chicken coop with small-arms fire and a grenade. His actions suppressed the insurgents behind the chicken coop. Shortly after, another enemy on the east end of the courtyard began firing, fatally wounding Gathercole.

Higgins and Robinson returned fire and killed the enemy.

Moments later, Sgt. 1st Class Jerod Staidle, the platoon sergeant, and Spc. Gary Depriest, the platoon medic, arrived in the outer courtyard. After directing Depriest to treat Gathercole, Staidle moved to Petry' s position. Staidle and Higgins then assisted Petry as he moved to the casualty collection point.

Higgins later wrote in a statement, "if not for Staff Sergeant Petry's actions, we would have been seriously wounded or killed."

Petry is the ninth servicemember to have been named a recipient of the Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of prior recipients, all but Petry and Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta were awarded the honor posthumously.

Included among those recipients are Spc. Ross A. McGinnis, Sgt. 1st Class Paul R. Smith, Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor, and Marine Corps Cpl. Jason L. Dunham, all for actions in Iraq. Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, Staff Sgt. Robert Miller, Sgt. 1st Class Jared C. Monti and Navy Lt. Michael P. Murphy were awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Afghanistan.

Petry currently serves as a liaison officer for the United States Special Operations Command Care Coalition-Northwest Region, and provides oversight to wounded warriors, ill and injured servicemembers and their families.

He enlisted in the Army from his hometown of Santa Fe, N.M., in September 1999. After completion of One Station Unit Training, the Basic Airborne Course and the Ranger Assessment and Selection Program -- all at Fort Benning, Ga. -- Petry was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Petry has served as a grenadier, squad automatic rifleman, fire team leader, squad leader, operations sergeant, and weapons squad leader.

He has deployed eight times in support of the war on terrorism, with two tours to Iraq and six tours to Afghanistan.

Petry and his wife Ashley have four children, Brittany, Austin, Reagan and Landon.

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 01:36 PM
So I wonder what would happen if he refused to accept the medal from OB?
Not refuse to accept the medal just to refuse to accept it from OB.
That also would be an act of bravery and likely make him more famous than the medal itself. That and also make a strong point.

DCP
06-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Bullshop

This HERO is still in the Military and OB is still the Commander in Chief. So lets just look at what he has done. Not the Politics.

When I read the action report my (Allergies) got the best of me and I teared up.

Vaya con Dios

So I wonder what would happen if he refused to accept the medal from OB?
Not refuse to accept the medal just to refuse to accept it from OB.
That also would be an act of bravery and likely make him more famous than the medal itself. That and also make a strong point.

Moonie
06-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Bullshop

This HERO is still in the Military and OB is still the Commander in Chief. So lets just look at what he has done. Not the Politics.

When I read the action report my (Allergies) got the best of me and I teared up.

Vaya con Dios

Darned allergies, seem to be flairing up here as well. And while I agree with the idea Bullshop, this hero has done enough. Although Obama is not fit to be in the same state as a man like this, it is the reality.

sundog
06-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Bullshop, my guess is that he will take the high road and not embarrass his fellow warriors, especially the ones who lost their lives that day or were wounded. The Medal is presented by the President. Just because it happens to be BO at the moment, well.... My bet is that he takes the high road.

These people are REAL heros!

Jim
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Sgt. Petry is miles above obummer in caliber. Not only would he not lower himself by acting like a child, he would not embarrass his fellow soldiers and command with such an act.

He'll do what's right and mature. He'll stand up and humbly receive the medal and then credit his fellow soldiers rather than take the credit for himself.

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I had no intention of offending anyone here with what I said, I was just wondering it.
My personal feeling is that if he did not accept the medal he would not be dishonoring anyone accept OB.
I think a large part of our problems are due to no one wanting to rock the boat and accepting status quo even though they dont agree with it.
Myself I have always been a boat rocker if there is something I dont or cant agree with.
The result is my opinion is usually unpopular.
The whole point I had in my mind was that if the popular idea is that OB is not legally qualified for the position he is in then he is not legally qualified to present the honor to the deserving. Also in my mind because of what I just said to refuse the medal would be a very honorable thing to do.
It seems to me we are straddling both sides of the fence.

Finster101
06-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Bullshop, I have a great deal of respect for your opinions and enjoy your post. I kind of wonder the same thing you do. On that note Boat Rockers usually do not fair well with military command.

James

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Finster101
Yes you are right about the boat rocker thing and military command. I do understand that it is team work that makes the machine work successfully and that each individual is only a part of the machine. Still as long as I am wondering and this is playing out in my mind I am going to have his command discuss the possibility with him and give him the option. That discussion may go something like, son it may cost you your medal but you have an opportunity to make a stand for all of us that love flag and country. Given that scenario I wonder !

sundog
06-02-2011, 04:49 PM
No offense taken here, BS. Your thoughts are, however, interesting. Professional warriors have a way of separating politics and mission.

mroliver77
06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Brother Dan,
I have pondered the same thing many times. Me, I am a boat rocker also. Not rockin to be contrary but upon principle.
In this situation I am not sure. I would not purposely dishonor my brothers. Being the CIC, I assume dis'ing him would be the same as doing the same to any superior rank? It would not go well with me being in the same room as BO. He makes me want to barf!
Jay

Charlie Two Tracks
06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
This topic should be about this Man and what he did. I highly respect him for what he did for his fellow soldiers and for us back in our safe, warm houses with the freedom we have. He is a real hero.

DCP
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
+1
This topic should be about this Man and what he did
He is a real hero.

This topic should be about this Man and what he did. I highly respect him for what he did for his fellow soldiers and for us back in our safe, warm houses with the freedom we have. He is a real hero.

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I think this topic is about nothing but this man and the fact that he has earned something. Along with that something comes an opportunity. Along with that opportunity again comes peril. Could this opportunity carry a great importance similar to the shots heard around the world? Could it be the rallying cry, the line in the sand to put an end to the ever increasing ILLEGAL acts of our government?
We have to start somewhere! Every journey begins with a first step.
It is a standard tactic of our gov to immortalise something someone has done to get the people to rally behind them. Remember when we got started in Iraq and they staged the rescue of that gal Jessica something and made her a hero? It served their purpose even though it was BULL. Well I see here an opportunity to become a rallying point for truth, justice, and the American way. A new Superman!

olafhardt
06-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I have voted agianst democrats for years, but the republicans are just putting forward junk. Obama proved himself brave and competant in killing ben laden, the country is not falling apart, and the sky aint falling. Unless BO gets caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, I am going to vote for him next time

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Now that for sure is changing the subject. I wont go there on this thread.

82nd airborne
06-02-2011, 09:15 PM
What do you guys think about pitching in and buying this hero a 1911 engraved with the medal of honor on one side, and "Thanks for our freedom!" on the other?

Bullshop
06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
With just one hand I dont think he could use a 1911. It would be a nice medal of honor in addition to the other one though.

Recluse
06-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I think this topic is about nothing but this man and the fact that he has earned something. Along with that something comes an opportunity. Along with that opportunity again comes peril. Could this opportunity carry a great importance similar to the shots heard around the world? Could it be the rallying cry, the line in the sand to put an end to the ever increasing ILLEGAL acts of our government?
We have to start somewhere! Every journey begins with a first step.
It is a standard tactic of our gov to immortalise something someone has done to get the people to rally behind them. Remember when we got started in Iraq and they staged the rescue of that gal Jessica something and made her a hero? It served their purpose even though it was BULL. Well I see here an opportunity to become a rallying point for truth, justice, and the American way. A new Superman!

Dan,

I have to respectfully, but forcefully disagree.

The CMH is the medal in which you're nominated by your fellow soldiers or sailors or airmen. Typically it is not a medal in which your unit commander puts you in for. In my day, the Air Force, Navy and Army Cross (second highest decoration) were the same way.

To refuse the medal would be to rebuke your fellow soldiers--and that would be a tremendous dishonor to them. A slap in the face, if you will.

Accepting the medal means you're accepting it from your fellow squad/unit members. The President is simply the highest ranking officer presenting it.

The honor in receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor is NOT in who presents it to you, but rather in who nominated you for it.

Let's never forget that.

:coffee:

Bullshop
06-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Recluse
Thinking on what you have said I see you are exactly right. My apology to anyone I may have offended.
Still though I see the need for such a true hero for true Americans to rally behind and draw that line in the sand.

DCP
06-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Recluse

Well said :awesome:

Let's never forget :drinks:

QUOTE=Recluse;1290102]Dan,

I have to respectfully, but forcefully disagree.

The CMH is the medal in which you're nominated by your fellow soldiers or sailors or airmen. Typically it is not a medal in which your unit commander puts you in for. In my day, the Air Force, Navy and Army Cross (second highest decoration) were the same way.

To refuse the medal would be to rebuke your fellow soldiers--and that would be a tremendous dishonor to them. A slap in the face, if you will.

Accepting the medal means you're accepting it from your fellow squad/unit members. The President is simply the highest ranking officer presenting it.

The honor in receiving the Congressional Medal of Honor is NOT in who presents it to you, but rather in who nominated you for it.

Let's never forget that.

:coffee:[/QUOTE]

Echo
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
The Medal is nominated for by the soldier's colleagues, and awarded by the Congress, and presented by the President. The President is simply the final agent of the process. In imagining what >I< would do in a similar situation, I would look BO straight in the eye - no smile - hear everything he had to say - then, talking to the reporters/TV/&cetera, I would point out that I was a part of a team that had a job to do, and I did my part as best I could, along with the others on the team, and that I didn't do anything any one of them wouldn't have done. And that I would simply be the agent of a country's recognition of the training, morale, conscience, and dedication of the military. I would not thank BO - he didn't award the Medal, Congress did.

Bad Water Bill
06-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Want to bet BHO does NOT salute the medal again.