PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea I wanted to run by you guys…

2ndAmendmentNut
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I have been really enjoying my Sears M53 in 30-06, both as a J-word and boolit rifle. I have been thinking of getting a “Quick-Release” set up for the scope. Is there a way I could set up this rifle with "irons" sighted in for cast boolits, and then have the scope sighted in for J-words? I like the thought of being able to shoot J-words through the scope, and then just pull it off and use irons with cast boolits, rather then keep moving the scope back and forth. Is something like this possible?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-01-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=481463?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=659866?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

This is sort of what I was thinking of for the "quick-release" part. Still would need some sort of rear peep sight or something...

Phillip
06-01-2011, 11:53 PM
I have the same setup on my savage 110 30-06 and been using it for about 15 years now. It works like a champ, and you really can swap scopes in seconds with out have to re zero them.

I think it is one of the better QR setups out there.

For iron sights, my savage came with sights similar to what you would find on a safari/Alaskan type rifle. Ruger compact magnums irons kind of look like mine.

coopieclan
06-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I switch from Scope to Iron Sights and back on my aripistol.
I usually just get tout the allen key
That Leupold looks like a nice setup. Anything you add has weight/height to it.

J-word is over my head.
Is there a way that can be explained?

Jim
06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
J-word means jacketed bullets. It's a term we use just for fun as most boolit shooters frown on using them.

redneckdan
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Quick release set ups have come a long way since the early stuff that may return to zero...some times. Unless you are popping pasture poodles waaaaaaaaaay the heck out there a decent quality quick release will work okay. Establish a procedure for mounting and unmounting and be sure to verify several times that it does indeed work. As an example I pulled an ultra dot scope off of my 30 herrett barrel and put it on my 7x444 barrel for a quick reload data test. 50yds zero was only off by about 2"....keep in mind this is two completely different barrels.

troy_mclure
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
i have a savage 111 switch barrel. i use the Leupold QR rings and base to switch scopes with barrels. after about 20 swaps i an still zeroed on both.

winelover
06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Been using quick release rings on almost all my firearms and have found the Leupold's (Weaver style) Warne and Kimber double levers to be very repeatable. Most guns in my safe have the scopes as well as bolts removed. This facilitates greater storage capacity and less scratches. I also like to have more than one sighting system available. If I plan on hunting in the thickets, I'll use a reflex red dot rather than a conventional riflescope meant for longer ranges. YMMV.

Winelover

mroliver77
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Our good friend Willbird runs the Leopold QD setup on at least one gun I know of. I have seen him pull the scope, make repairs etc, remount and be so close to perfect as to make no difference. This is on a highly accurate tuned and tweeked Rem 700 (or 40X not sure which it twas).
Jay

Wayne Smith
06-03-2011, 07:25 AM
I have exactly that setup on my Encore except one piece bases. I switch one scope between a 45-70 barrel and a 500 S&W barrel. About 1/2" difference between them @ 100yds.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the comments, and positive reviews on Leupold’s bases. Any ideas on what sort of rear sight I should go with? It will have to be something tall enough to see over the scope bases, but short enough to fit under the scope.

troy_mclure
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
i like xs sights.

gnoahhh
06-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been a follower of that philosophy for a long time now. All of my bolt guns are set up with QD mounts and receiver sights. I must admit I haven't tried the Leupold mounts but they look good. I was lucky and scarfed up a few Griffin&Howe QD side mounts years ago when they were affordable so that's what i use. Scope removal and replacement is dead nuts no matter how often it's done, so I have looked no further. With that setup I don't have to worry about receiver sight height for there is no scope base blocking the line of sight, so I use good old Lyman 48's. With a scope mount base in the way, I can't guarantee that there's enough height adjustment in a standard Lyman or Redfield receiver sight without increasing the height of the front sight too.

Cap'n Morgan
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the comments, and positive reviews on Leupold’s bases. Any ideas on what sort of rear sight I should go with? It will have to be something tall enough to see over the scope bases, but short enough to fit under the scope.

I would go all the way and get two sets of rings & an extra scope for the cast load. If it must be open sights it would have to be something like a ghost ring sight - perhaps a bolt mounted one?

gnoahhh
06-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Why would it have to be a ghost ring sight?

bhn22
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp

about halfway down the page...

Von Gruff
06-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I did this when I built my 7x57 and for this very reason. I had a set of bases made to suit the Ruger mixed height rings to keep the bases as low as posible as the scopes are rarely on the rifle.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09022.jpg

First set-up had the scope too close to the aperture as I had the bolt handle made to be the straight Obendorf type. A 2mm shorter stem in the aperture had it with good clearance. Used Warne levers on the rings and I have tested many times to verify that it dose return to zero.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/7x57StalkingRifle013.jpg

As this was just a trial set-up for initial trial I used an old scope and the piece of tape underneath was needed because with anything like energetic bolt work the aperture would ""touch" but now have a 4.5 - 14 Monarch in one set of QD rings for bench testing and a 2-7 Leupold in another set for hunting that gets carried in a leather German styled bag with 6 rounds of longer range ammo in case the range is past my self imposed 200yd limit with my 160gn soft nosed cast boolit with the apertrure sights.
I have a 7mm high front blade for cast and a 9mm high blade for the 160gn Woodleigh and 150gn Speer, with both blades giving me a 150yd zero with thier respective loads. The 2-7 has the LR retical and with my 120gn GS Custom at 3235fps sighted at 2 in high at 100yds and a drop chart out to 500yds with the scope, the 160gn Woodleigh and a 150gn Speer are both on the button at 100yds and the two ranging bars should be good for 200 and 300 aprox. If I use cast with the scope the second ranging bar gets me a 150yd zero so I have a multiple use sighting system with 3 loads usable with the aperture sight and 4 with the hunting scope.
On the plinking range I have a 1900fps load and a 1500fps load that the 7mm blade works well with but as I have a silver bead and a blade set for the 404 Jeffery it gives me a large number of sighting options with either scope or irons. Best of all worlds I think.

Von Gruff.

Cap'n Morgan
06-04-2011, 01:28 AM
Why would it have to be a ghost ring sight?

It eliminates the need for focusing on the rear sight.

gnoahhh
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I understand the concept of a ghost ring sight, but don't understand why it's become so popular all of a sudden, or so it seems. I've been using aperture sights on rifles for over 40 years now, and still prefer them in most hunting scenarios even though my vision is headed south. I find that an ill-defined blurry "ring" to be a distraction and while it may be fast for a snap shot, it doesn't offer optimal accuracy potential. In a low light situation I either switch out to a larger aperture or dial open the Merit Iris so as to see through it better, but still retain a sharply defined halo. When lighting improves I stop the aperture down to where I still get good light passage and an even better defined halo. Just my opinion, but I prefer to have maximum accuracy for my shots, having given up on the notion of "snap shooting" long ago. I feel a blurred-to-almost- non existent halo doesn't give my brain much data to work with when contriving to look through it/ignore it while focusing on the front sight and target.

I've had this discussion with my optometrist (who is a fellow shooter) and he agrees. But like I said, it's merely an opinion.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I would go all the way and get two sets of rings & an extra scope for the cast load. If it must be open sights it would have to be something like a ghost ring sight - perhaps a bolt mounted one?

I must admit that is a tempting idea.

Harter66
06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Williams has a set up for rear sights that QD on Pictinny/Weaver bases . They look like they'd be just the ticket for a scout/safari/long rail/back up sight or switch hitter gun like yours. I seem to remember them being standard V/U and special with peeps,windage/elevation on to how much do you have to spend.