PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first cast boolits today....

bullpen7979
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM
After much deliberation about my charge weight (and thanks to input from the cb community), this was the procedure:

I cast about 300 from the 356-125-2R mold for the 9mm. They came out pretty clean. I was pretty stoked about that.

I heated up my LLA in the micro on low power, then tumble lubed them, and sized them all to .357 with the Lee sizing die. Then after about three or four days, I thinned down the LLA with a little mineral spirits, and gave them another light coat of lube last night. I left em alone for about two hours on the wax paper, and they seemed dry to touch. I really wanted to get going with this and test the charge and all, so I went and loaded four rounds with TG using the .30 disk cavity (about 3.4 grains) and four with the .32 cavity, (about 3.6 grains), using a COAL of 1.086.

It was a success in that:
1. I returned home with all the faculties I took to the range.
2. They chambered
3. They shot & operated the action.

I'm not sure the accuracy was the best, but it could have been me. I was concerned about recovering the cases to check for excess pressure.

I did notice some fouling of the barrel. It looked like it went the full length of the barrel I'm wondering if I didnt let the alox dry long enough, and it got pushed off as I seated the slugs in the case? I realize there's a big difference between 2 hours and overnight.

Thought about just loading some up as cast (around .359 if I recall). I'm trying to stick to scientific method on this, but with the number of variables on this leading thing, it looks like it could be awhile before I get it sorted.

If I decide to pan lube, I know the concoctions are endless. I did order a stick of javalina lube. Would I just heat this up straight and pour in the cake pan with a bunch of warmed up boolits? Is that the general procedure? Or is there something I can use to mix with that that would help stretch it and/or improve performance?

In closing, let me say I really appreciate the guidance this board has to offer. I realize this is a learning curve, and I'm all for experimentation, but I just want to experiment intelligently.

runfiverun
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
check what you think the fouling is.
it could just be lube streaks, powder residue mixed with the alox.
or leading.
alox is pretty good at leaving a "tar" in bbls.
as far as the javelina goes if it's 50-50 you can melt it and follow the pan lube procedures outlined in the lube section.
try making 45/45/10 lube a tumble lube also.
or even just warm up the 50-50 and swirl lube with that till the lube grooves are full.

if it were me doing what you got goin on.
after pushing a patch in there to see what comes out.
and based on the info you have given.
i'd just cut my alox coverage and watch the results in the bbl. [maybe use a little mineral spirits to thin the alox with]

BMWrider
06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
With regard to leading in your barrel, did you measure the boolits after sizing? I experienced heavy leading in my 9mm 1911. Rather than trusting the Lee Sizer, I measured some boolits after sizing and found out that my 0.356" Lee Sizer was sizing my cast boolits to 0.355". It's headed back to Midway USA in the morning.

bullpen7979
06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I did, and they were pretty well right at .357 as I recall. I'll push a patch or two through and see what comes out....

Doby45
06-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Try as cast. Seat it in the brass and then apply a taper crimp in very small increments until the round drops in your chamber reliably. Of course remove your barrel from your gun.

MtGun44
06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Pan lube or hand lube 5 with with NRA 50-50 and try them.

Bill

1Shirt
06-08-2011, 11:07 PM
You'r screwed now! The bug has bit! Good luck, and good shooting!
1Shirt!:coffee: