PDA

View Full Version : Got the new Caldwell Lead sled DFT togther today.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Howdy all.

Now I can get the guns stable and set the sights. Will be nice, Not real stable off hand anymore. Can also check groups on my loads. Gonna be fun.

Sam :D

jpatm2
06-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Was it hard to put together? I watched a guy put together one of the originals and it seemed to take him the better part of 2 hours.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Very Simple,

Sam :D

Jim
06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Sam, that unit weighs 24 pounds by itself. You shouldn't have to add additional weight unless you're gonna shoot some really high horse power stuff. Also, if your shooting bench is topped with boards instead of ply, do what you need to to keep the feet from hanging on the edges of the boards. You want that thing to slide a bit when the shot goes off.

That's a nice rest, bud. I'm impressed!

onesonek
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
They are nice for checking load accuracy Sam. You might want to check point of impact, from what ever other shooting style or position you use afterwards. I have found that the sled handles recoil differently, and therfore changes poi when I'm holding the firearm in a more direct, or conventional manner. You or anybody else, may find it not so, but just relating my experience.

onondaga
06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
They will hold nice and steady and help with group size too but I have to agree with onesonek. The result I got with my .458 Win Mag was a 16 inch point of impact change from sled to shouldered with a front standard rest or cross sticks. That is a very big difference. I expected some with heavy recoil loads but not 16 inches at 50 yards.

Gary