PDA

View Full Version : Lee bullet

Floydster
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi all,
does anyone cast the Lee bullet 452-200gr. RF for thier 45 ACP's.

And if so, any input?? I ordered the mold:)

Thanks,Floyd

475BH
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Since no one has answered yet, I have shot some 200 gr. rnfp commercial cast thru my kimber. They aren't as accurate as swc's for me. I seat them to the bottom of the crimp groove, crimp to .471" and they feed good in a 5" kimber. That is the way the gun shop told me to load them and they as usual, were correct.

gray wolf
06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
any input?? I ordered the mold

Why do people order things and then ask if there purchase will work for them ??
I am wondering,-- with so many good to excellent 45 ACP bullets out there why go with a 45 colt bullet ? yes it will work, you proved that already.
Just wondering why that bullet choice. Good luck with the mold

Muskrat Mike
06-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I have an old 1911 that I shoot that bullet in with a charge of Unique. The gun is finicky about which bullet it will feed well and that bullet works well for me but I'm just a casual 45 shooter not an expert or very experienced with them.

wallenba
06-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I use it in my S&W 625 45ACP revolver. But because of the crimp groove location and necessary seating depth I would not think it a very good choice for an autoloader. In my 1911 I find the Lee 452-230-TC a great performer.

ilcop22
06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
I shot a similiar boolit in my XD and 1911 with poor results. 230 grain boolits are best suited for .45 ACP, IMO.

snuffy
06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Here's how that boolit shoots in my SA 1911. Nothing fancy pretty much stock.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/bullets/websize/scan0004.jpg

GW, I don't consider that a 45 colt boolit. It would be if it were 255 grain, but not @ 200.

Floyd, that mold casts easily, mines a 6 banger. I use salvaged range lead, then lube with mule snot and size @ 4.52 with a lee push-through. I just gat a .452 for the Lyman 450 and will use lar's red for lube. I expect the same accuracy, but who knows. That was off a rest @ 25 yards.

wallenba
06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Snuffy, that does look nice. Maybe Lee should make it without the crimp groove. What is your seating depth?

(Sorry to hijack this thread Floyd. I might try it too now.)

Atakawow
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi all,
does anyone cast the Lee bullet 452-200gr. RF for thier 45 ACP's.

And if so, any input?? I ordered the mold:)

Thanks,Floyd

That bullet is no-go for my 1911. It can work, but I ended up having to seat the bullet too too deep.

gray wolf
06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
SNUFFY-- I have to agree with you on that, the bullet is light for a 45 Colt.
I am not referring to a wheel gun with my statement,
I have no experience with a 45 D A revolver. ( so mouth shut on that one EH )
But I would love to have one. I like the flat nose bullet for the 45 ACP and shoot many of them from my H P mold with the pins reversed, very, very accurate. I just don't understand the crimp ring in the bullet if it's for a 45 ACP. I guess 45 auto rim would be fine. But if it works for some and they like it-- hey why not.
if someone were to ask my opinion for a 45 ACP bullet the OP's choice would not be in my top three. But to each his own and I stand by there right to choose.

Floydster
06-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Snuffy and other responses, I have a 45 Witness Elite Match and am having feeding probs with the SWC 200gr. bullets, hench I thought I would try this bullet which looks like the 200 gr. RNFP from MBC that runs great in this gun--that is why I thought I would try it, I am also using the 230 gr. RN ball with great results--I just wanted to find a bullet that would run good and save on some casting alloy, and Snuffy thanks for the target pic, really looks good, I think I can make this bullet to work:)
And with a little more experimenting I think I can get the SWC to perform better also, right now in 50 rounds I get about two rounds that will not chamber fully, they hang up about half way into the chamber---the SWC are the only rounds that I have this problem with.
Thanks all for your reply's, much appreciated, Floyd

kmag
06-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Bought a 6 cav mold for the 200 rfn when I was shooting SASS matches. Have loaded it in 45 acp and 45 long colt for handguns. Loaded it in 45 long colt and 454 casull cases for long gun. Shot well in all of them. For 45 acp I seat the case just over the crimp grove runs great in a 1942 gov. and a ser. 70 gold cup. John Browning developed the 45 acp for a 200 gr. boolit but, the govt wanted a boolit that was heavier. Crimp it in the crimp grove for the S & W mod 25, the Ruger BH. and the Puma. (Don't bother telling me there has never been a long colt. I have several loading manuals that has loading data for the 45 Long Colt.) Also have a image of a 45 Long Colt but, don't know how to post it. It might also violate a copyright law because it was published in a gun magazine within the last few years.

snuffy
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Snuffy, that does look nice. Maybe Lee should make it without the crimp groove. What is your seating depth?

Mine are seated to 1.172-5, about the middle of the crimp groove. I don't mind the crimp groove, If I were to seat it deeper, it could be filled with lube.

GW, that's a SA-Springfield Armory 1911 45 ACP. That's why I hate abreviations, was just too lazy to spell it out. I too wish I had a smith wheel gun in 45 acp. Almost bought one once, may still get one.

That boolit feeds without any problems in my pistol, is cheap to produce and is accurate, what's not to like?

smithgar3840
06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
It's all I use in my Springfield Armory Milspec. It's very accurate and no problems feeding. I size my cases to give firm bullet pull and do not crimp. I just straighten out the flare in the case when I seat. I do this with all my autos and never a problem. They are sized .452. Just remember, each gun has it's own preferences.