PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 39A takedown procedure

Maineboy
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
So how do you do it? I got one for Christmas, used of course. It had been bought new by my step father about 20 years ago and my wife bought it from him. He couldn't locate the owners manual so I'll have to contact Marlin for one but in the meantime, I'd like to take it apart and clean it. The gun is like new. He says he took it out once and put no more than 15 rounds through it.

Scrounger
12-28-2006, 10:51 PM
If I remember correctly, you open the bolt and turn the obvious take down screw on the receiver counter-clockwise until it is no longer engaged. Lay the rifle down on its left side and carefully rotate the stock portion up and forward. The inner parts can now be easily removed. Careful, they will fall out if you aren't careful. I stole this from another website:
Marlin 39AS Disassembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 39 is starting to misfire and I would like to take it apart and give it a heavy duty cleaning but not sure how to go about it. It is a take-down model but I bought it used so I have no owners manual. Thanks, Hap

Happy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Happy
Find all posts by Happy

Sponsored Links

#2 08-05-2006, 19:29
AlleninAlaska
Member Join Date: Apr 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1. Take a proper sized screwdriver or a quarter and back out the takedown screw until the threads are clear of the left side of the receiver. The takedown screw will not come all the way out because it has internal shoulders on it.

#2. With the rifle held in front of you horizontally pull the hammer back to the safety step. With the barrel pointed to your left bump the buttstock with the heel of your hand right behind the receiver to force the stock and the receiver plate to the right. Then seperate the stock and the right portion of the receiver from the stock.

If you want to go any further than that let me know and I'll give you further information on how to break it down further. Hopefully this will fix the problem as it is just a dirty firing pin assembly. Hopefully it is not a broken or worn firing pin. The chamber could be dirty also.

AlleninAlaska
View Public Profile
Send a private message to AlleninAlaska
Find all posts by AlleninAlaska

#3 08-05-2006, 20:41
Happy
Member Join Date: Jul 2006

Thanks Allen, it came apart like a champ. One more question. Is the firing pin suposed to slide back and forth freely or is it held by a small spring. My firing pin is loose. Hap

Happy
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Happy
Find all posts by Happy

#4 08-05-2006, 21:59
AlleninAlaska
Member Join Date: Apr 2006

Yes the firing pin should float freely on top of the breech bolt.

August
01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
step 1 unload the rifle step 2 be sure you have unloaded the rifle step 3 bring the hammer to full cock step 4 lossen the takedown screw step 5 if the gun is fairly new or has never been taken down the rifle due to tight tolerance on these guns, might need a firm slap (with your palm) on the opposite side of the stock from takedown screw in order to get the halves to seperate. just be sure to protect the finish and dont beat it with a hammer step 6 hammer must be cocked for reasembly. Almost all of them are tight on initial disassembly.