PDA

View Full Version : Hogs Gone Wild episode filmed in my area.

Murphy
05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I had heard rumors The History Channel was in the area doing filming a while back. They were here shooting and episode for their "Hogs Gone Wild" series. For those interested, it will air this coming Sunday evening the 5th.

I've taken a few of those very same hogs myself, within 5 miles of my house. No HogZilla's in the herd, but tons of little ones doing great damage to the land and farming fields.

Murphy2000

HollowPoint
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
It's an interesting program but, I get frustrated when I watch it.

It seems like the producers of that series are trying very hard to straddle the line between
possibly offending animal right people and the land owners being over-run by these hogs.

Maybe it's just me but, I'd prefer to watch a program showing hunters go in and take those hogs out more than one at a time then patting themselves on the back for doing so.

I bet if they aired a program showing hunters armed with firearms successfully putting a dent in those hog populations, the program would be cancelled due to violent content, cruelty to animals and complaints from corporate hog farmers for putting a dent in their bottom line; cause they'd distribute the meat to people in need rather than them having to buy it.

HollowPoint

x101airborne
05-31-2011, 09:59 PM
I completely agree with hollowpoint. I go out once a week with night vision and if I do not kill around 3 - 5 per night by myself, I am not doing my job or the whiskey was mixed too strong. LOL! If those producers were more concerned with making people aware of a growning nuisance and a ecological nightmare, I would be more inclined to watch the show. I did enjoy and learn from their diagram of how to set a hog snare, though. I just wish I had more time to employ it.

In my area, the hogs have eradicated our squirrel population. Not by killing them, but by eating the nuts that they bury for the winter. Then the squirrels starve to death. I can deal with some torn up ground, I can deal with some broken barbe wire. But I get PI$%eD off when my squirrels get messed with. They have also run out or killed the Rio Grande Turkey in our area also.

Murphy
05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
I agree about them worrying over offending someone, they need to just show it as it truly is.

I have eaten a few of them, the smaller ones. But once they get up much over 60 Lbs on the hoof? 'Rank' eatin'. And, some friends brought one in from the sticks that was a wild one and carried it to the local butcher. He refused it. He told them about some testing done on some of the wild hogs and the things they found in the spinal fluids were down right scary.

x101airborne, I don't blame ya' about getting pi$$ed off. I be pi$$ed too if they was messin' with my nuts!

Murphy