PDA

View Full Version : Slugging bores

mjackson
05-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Hello to all. I have a couple months before I get my first revolver, so I am taking the opportunity to load up on info and then supplies. Can someone point me to a foolproof procedure for slugging the chamber throats and/or bore on this revolver to determine optimal bullet diameter? It's chambered in .32 S&W Long and I was thinking of getting in on the group buy for a Miha Cramer-style HBWC mold. I am new to reloading and casting, but I am excited about learning from you guys, Thanks.

Stick_man
05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. Welcome to the hobby/addiction/madness/brotherhood. If you search the threads, there is a wealth of knowledge found in numerous threads dealing with slugging bores. Revolvers are very easy to slug because of the removable cylinders.

Get a couple reloading manuals AND the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #4 and start reading. Study them like there was no tomorrow. There has been tremendous research done in the preparation of these manuals. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. Then, read through the threads here. There are many years of experience just waiting to be shared with you to make your experience the best possible. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. The folks are great here about answering them.

Many would say to start your learning of casting on a cheap Lee mould. The Mihec (as well as the NOE and several others) moulds are some of the best available anywhere. Learn on the "el cheapos" and get to know a little about the casting. Then, you will have a great appreciation of the fine work that went into the group buy moulds.

Most important is to pay close attention to safety measures and have fun. We don't want anybody hurt or disgruntled about this fine addiction/hobby.

Happy Casting!:cbpour:

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Read the stickies, use the search engine. MUCH has been written on slugging.

Welcome, but you should read up a bit first, too.

Bill

Echo
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
For cylinder throats, most here recommend using plug gauges - I use small-hole gauges that must be measured with mikes. I am comfortable using mikes...

For bore slugging, I agree with the stickies. Pure lead ball/fishing weight driven into an oiled bore.

Iron Mike Golf
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
For cylinder throats, most here recommend using plug gauges - I use small-hole gauges that must be measured with mikes. I am comfortable using mikes...

I found that with the small hole gauges, you need to have experience in how tight to make them fit. I ended up going the pin gauge route after struggling with getting consistent measurements using small hole gauges.

Pure lead sinker or round ball for the bore. Add a brass hammer and brass rod. Measure with a micrometer, not calipers. Calipers are not precises enough. If you get pin gauges, get the "minus" kind.