PDA

View Full Version : D-Lead soap

bxchef29
05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
any of you guys use this stuff i got a bottle cause i was worried bout the toxins in lead am i being paranoid and what do you guys clean your hands with after casting and reloading

imashooter2
05-29-2011, 11:40 PM
At home I use bar soap and water. I do have a bottle of the D Lead waterless in the trunk of the car for use after shooting.

bxchef29
05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
ok i heard that dishwashing soap is good to wash ya hands with cause is high in ph i guess alkaline as opposed to acidity

bhn22
05-30-2011, 12:59 AM
One point that's often made is to use cold, or cool water, so as not to open up your pores. I don't know that I fully buy this theory, but it couldn't hurt, so I do it.

Huntducks
05-30-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm 63 been casting since I was in my mid 20's was a plumber for 30 odd year did a 1000 lead joints and when I was a kid I lived in a house with lead paint and carried pellet in my mouth while shooting birds.

I had a lead in my pencil at one time:-D but other then that my blood test said normal.

So I don't really worry about it.

bxchef29
05-30-2011, 01:11 AM
wow thats alot of lead experience and yeah it iff bout the water thing its true hot water opens pores and cold closes it i just wonder cause cold isnt hot enough to kill bateria so its weird but probaly make sense to use cold first then hot then cold i know sounds crazy

troy_mclure
05-30-2011, 01:11 AM
dawn.

zomby woof
05-30-2011, 07:15 AM
I bought a one gallon container of GOJO abrasive hand cleaner with a pump top. It's basically the same stuff. I keep it in my reloading area. Really cleans your hands good.

Bret4207
05-30-2011, 07:58 AM
wow thats alot of lead experience and yeah it iff bout the water thing its true hot water opens pores and cold closes it i just wonder cause cold isnt hot enough to kill bateria so its weird but probaly make sense to use cold first then hot then cold i know sounds crazy

You can't wash your hands with water hot enough to kill all the bacteria, so don't worry about it.

This new thing with all the hand sanitizers and so called ultra clean living has it's down side too. If you aren't exposed to some bacteria then your body can't build up defenses against it. All things in moderation, eh?

As far as the lead goes, soap and water wins the show for me.

onesonek
05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I was going to say exactly what Brett said.
I will add however, statistcally it's far more dangerous to drive a vehicle, then to be a boolit caster. In fact, vehicles kill more people in the USA then lead does, even when someone receives the lead when fired out of barrel.

bxchef29
05-30-2011, 10:14 AM
good point gentlemen

Shuz
05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
I use Lava hand soap. The pumice in it really get the grime out of my hands.

lunicy
05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
i used d-lead for a while years ago. I just use soap now. The point is to get the lead residue off your hands before eating. Soap will do. My lead levels are just fine.

bxchef29
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
thanks for your info

Echo
05-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Well, hot isn't hot enough to kill bacteria, either. Has to be up to something like 160* to be effective, and NO ONE'S hot water is that hot.

Shooter6br
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
L A V A .......... L A V A soap has the old commerial goes. It is slightly abrasive with pimice. Should scrub your hands clean ( Good for cleaning grease etc .Last forever and a day)

Shooter6br
05-30-2011, 11:22 AM
LAVA soap if you have water to use/ A bar lasts forever and a day OOOPs senior moment repeated myself but it is good( the bar type)

MtGun44
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
You are being paranoid. Just wash your hands and you will be fine.

Bill

bxchef29
05-30-2011, 03:31 PM
ok i always do but since i got d lead il use it

gray wolf
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't understand all this about the cold water to keep the pores closed,
and then Lava soap or nylon scrub pads.
I would think the abrasive soaps and pads take a layer of skin off and leave the skin wide open for a short time. So much for open pores.
I use dawn dish soap and finish with a mild hand soap.

williamwaco
05-30-2011, 08:59 PM
I bought a one gallon container of GOJO abrasive hand cleaner with a pump top. It's basically the same stuff. I keep it in my reloading area. Really cleans your hands good.

GOJO is good stuff. Been using it for many years.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-30-2011, 09:49 PM
DANG ! Have you not been warned about the lead content in quality wine bottle seals that you must peel off with your thumbnail before de-corking and de-canting? Better just get a glove holster like the EMT's and Be PREPARED !

BvT

bxchef29
05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't understand all this about the cold water to keep the pores closed,
and then Lava soap or nylon scrub pads.
I would think the abrasive soaps and pads take a layer of skin off and leave the skin wide open for a short time. So much for open pores.
I use dawn dish soap and finish with a mild hand soap.

i hear dishsoap works well after hearing you guys points not worried so much and about the skin think when you sweat your hot and your pores open to secrete sweat the opposite when your cold your pores will close as sort of a defense mechanism but i not telling you something you dont already know thanks everyone for your knowledge, think im a cast tommorow

bigboredad
05-31-2011, 03:38 AM
I wonder how many of the guys that are so scared about lead touching them smoke? or go to local watering hole with your buddies that is filled with smoke? and if that is so troubling to them then maybe this isn't the hobby for you. Just wait and see what happens to your skin when it comes into contact with heat like 750 degrees. the lead isn't the scary part

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 07:10 AM
bxchef29,

Here we strive to make written communication clear because it is more difficult to understand
than spoke communication. The lazy do not care if they make it more difficult for the reader,
and ignore the simple courtesies like capitalization, a reasonable shot at spelling and
some punctuation to help communicate.

We really don't appreciate that sort of snotty attitude, here, either. We very much like to get
along and be polite. Please try to join in the fun in a polite, friendly and respectful way. We
would love to have you on the site, but if you are going to be a lazy jerk, less so.

As to 'detention' - well, if you ask a question like you have been responding, you are pretty unlikely
to get much help. We really try to welcome the new members, but we also hold our site here to
a pretty high standard of etiquette, much above the norm of many sites. Please join us at the
higher standard.

Bill

bxchef29
05-31-2011, 07:56 AM
I understand MT, but i feel they did not have to insult me in the process. I always respect people and felt their comments were offensive. In the future, I will try to be more clear and punctional. Thank you for coming out in such a non-insulting way.

Three44s
05-31-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't see the same cleaning power with cold water as with warm water.

So I start with cold since this "pore thing" surfaced to get whatever the cold water and soap will remove and finnish with warm water ..... not scalding just warm and get whatever else will lift off.

Three 44s

MtGun44
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
bxchef29,

Point taken, insulting is not helpful ever. I try very hard to be on my best behavior on
this site, and even when I sometimes get a bit cranky, try very hard to be direct and
polite, and maybe deflect things with a bit of humor, if I think of it in time.

Welcome to the board, and let's do what we can to be friends and learn and laugh with
each other. I know that on other sites, rude behavior is the norm. We try to discourage
that here, and I think we have a pretty nice bunch of people here. Enjoy!

Bill

PS Are you really a chef? or does the handle have some other meaning?

XWrench3
05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
i am with Huntducks. we played with lead hammers as kids, we had lead paint in our house, my dad had a can of white lead for setting up ring and pinion gear sets that i had my hands into a couple of times, did the pelets in the mouth thing, played with mercury, was exposed to asbestos at age 4 and every year since. i cast my boolits without a mask, handle lead on a daily basis, and my lead levels check out fine. some of you guys are believing your government to much!

Baron von Trollwhack
06-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, I often give straight up, plain advice. The guys lookin for touchy-feely should try the play dough forum.

BvT

Freightman
06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
i am with huntducks. We played with lead hammers as kids, we had lead paint in our house, my dad had a can of white lead for setting up ring and pinion gear sets that i had my hands into a couple of times, did the pelets in the mouth thing, played with mercury, was exposed to asbestos at age 4 and every year since. I cast my boolits without a mask, handle lead on a daily basis, and my lead levels check out fine. Some of you guys are believing your government to much!
amen!

snuffy
06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
bxchef29, If I came off as insulting, then I apologize. Your original posts were childish, and I sometimes tell it like I see it. If not for the built-in spell check on Mozilla Firefox,, my posts would have lots of bad spelling. But I try to punctuate, and form sentences and paragraphs.

bxchef29
06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
bxchef29, If I came off as insulting, then I apologize. Your original posts were childish, and I sometimes tell it like I see it. If not for the built-in spell check on Mozilla Firefox,, my posts would have lots of bad spelling. But I try to punctuate, and form sentences and paragraphs.

Apoligy accepted. Your're Right i realize using no puncuation, seems like jiberish and so i apoligize. Really enjoy this forum. Alot of great knowledge here