PDA

View Full Version : The Saga of the Deadly Water Hose

beagle
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Or otherwise know as, Oh Beagle, you've done it again.

The load was 3.2 grains of Red dot ignited by a small pistol primer under a Lyman 356402 sized .3575" with one of Pat Marlins .35 PB gas checks on it in a Starline case out of a FN High Power at 1017 FPS.

Yesterday, my wife let our two daschunds plus a vistor loose on the back side of the house. When it was time to come in, they wouldn't come so she suggested I get my 9mm and fire a shot as that immediately brings my two home.

I stepped inside the door and got the 9mm and selected a spot on a bank beside the house that is covered by minature ivey....carefully avoiding the spot where the power cable ran underground to my reloading shop and carefully squeezed off a round. I recovered the case and by that time, all three dogs were home. Okay, that went well.

Today, I decided to water my maters and peppers and pulled the hose out of the ivey. You guessed it. I'd put a nice 9mm hole in the direct middle of that hose. Not on the side, but right in the middle.

A little 100 mile per hour tape (Army name for duct tape) got me back in business so far.

If you're dumb enough not to know where you're shooting or if you really want to shoot your water hose, I highly recomment that load./beagle

theperfessor
05-29-2011, 09:08 PM
priceless! a one shot kill, too...

Blammer
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
:D

too funny!

geargnasher
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I wonder if that load would be good for "divining" buried water lines, too? :kidding:

Glad it wasn't the power to your shop! Sounds like you need some sort of small, decorative boolit trap to hide in the ivy!

Gear

6.5 mike
05-29-2011, 10:24 PM
So are you going to grill the hose along with the maters & peppers ?

imashooter2
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
How many shots do you suppose it'd take if you were trying to hit it? [smilie=1:

beagle
05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
The way I shoot, probably a couple of boxes....although the Browning has accounted for a pair of coperheads in the last two weeks. It's my "carry gun" on the tractor and riding lawnmower as I don't have to worry about the cases that much./beagle

How many shots do you suppose it'd take if you were trying to hit it? [smilie=1:

1Shirt
05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Minute of water hose just ain't all that bad shootin!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Bullshop
05-29-2011, 11:53 PM
How exactly does one go about field dressing a hose. If you need a few good hose recipes ask BS Mom. As my taste buds recall when we were first married she often made hose for dinner.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey, anyone got a good recipe for water hose?

Three44s
05-30-2011, 02:04 AM
The Doc said:

"That hose would have been repairable if you had not gutted it out before bringing it in"!

Three 44s

Phillip
05-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Well I guess you can say it gives a new meaning to the garden snake. :grin:

looseprojectile
05-30-2011, 02:40 AM
If BS Mom sees this BS may be gutted!

Don't let her see this but I think Mrs. projectile hates food. I do most of the cooking cause I love food. She will cook a fine prime rib roast till it is one third the size it started out. Course I tell her how good it is and therefore she never learns.
I don't have the guts.
Good shootin Beagle. :drinks:

Life is good

kbstenberg
05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
It shows a good man that can poke fun at himself

Thumbcocker
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Beagle is obviously being modest here. Putting a humorous face on a dangerous situation. A common waterhose, or so it would have you think, playing possum for years. Biding it's time and waiting until the family k9's were away and then stalking through the ivy almost within striking distance. When onto the porch appears ..... Beagle armed with steely eyed determiniation, John Browning's last and finest pistol design, and boolits. One steady shot put things aright. Water hose sneak attack foiled, hearth and home secure, and k9 companions recovered. All by a man to modest to take credit for his cool handling of a tough situation.

gnoahhh
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Ha ha! Let's see you do that again!

I once shot at a garden hose that I (and my Australian Shepherd) thought was a snake. What a couple of maroons! (P.S. I missed.)

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Soaker hose?

lbaize3
05-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Does the hose now issue holy water? :kidding:

Hardcast416taylor
05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Kinda like the truck with a flat tire, "it`s only flat on one side"?Robert

MT Gianni
05-30-2011, 11:27 AM
A good hose can be repaired with a clamp type coupling. Nice shooting, remember to avoid phone, cable, elec and gas lines as well. I remember a story of Col Jeff Cooper where he shot his gas meter practicing a quick point and shoot. He obviously thought he had an unloaded gun. When the repair man came out and asked the obvious question his answer was classic. "Because that is what I was aiming at".

beagle
05-30-2011, 11:59 AM
It is now./beagle

Soaker hose?

kbzeroqvn
05-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I know a guy who got two tv's and a fridge dry firing a "unloaded" .45, but never a garden hose.

Rocky Raab
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Reminds me of that classic Skeeter Skelton article "Great Misses I have Made."

mroliver77
05-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I try never to shoot into the unknown anymore, even if it is a familiar ivy patch. I would have hit a rock and had a ricochet take out my truck window or my bicycle tire. "Murphy" seems to be my guardian "Angel". '
;)

At least you can blame Mrs. Beagle for suggesting the fatal shot! :)
Jay

SciFiJim
05-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Yesterday, my wife let our two daschunds plus a vistor loose on the back side of the house. When it was time to come in, they wouldn't come so she suggested I get my 9mm and fire a shot as that immediately brings my two home.

Your dogs come running to the sound of gunfire?:shock:

You have WAR DOGS! How cool it THAT!

steg
05-30-2011, 07:46 PM
One evening having spotted the elusive bunny that was eating more of my beans than we were in my garden, it was just passing dusk so I opted for the shotgun, one shot clean kill, by then it was dark so i left the bunny there, I knew some critter would take it away, and come morning it was gone, but it was replaced by the nicest fountain you ever saw. It seems that it was standing on a coil of brand new GREEN water hose.............................steg

Thumbcocker
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
It seems that it was standing on a coil of brand new GREEN water hose.............................steg

Clear case of the hose in cahoots with the bunny. Justifable shoot in my book.

beagle
05-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, they're scared of loud noises and head for the house and safety./beagle

Your dogs come running to the sound of gunfire?:shock:

You have WAR DOGS! How cool it THAT!

crazy mark
05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
If my Doxie gets out of my sight in the woods I fire a round and she comes running as she doesn't like the loud noise either and she hasn't figured out it is me.

Southern Son
05-31-2011, 12:41 AM
I want to see a photo. I mean, as far as we all know, it was just a little 1/2 inch hose, not yet a legal 3/4 inch. If it was a real trophy, you know like a 2 inch, then that would be great, but until I see a photo, I will be concerned that you have taken an undersize hose. Who would that get reported to? The Game Warden maybe?;):p:smile:

6.5 mike
05-31-2011, 01:40 AM
Dept of fish & hose :drinks:

SciFiJim
05-31-2011, 01:46 AM
How exactly does one go about field dressing a hose. If you need a few good hose recipes ask BS Mom. As my taste buds recall when we were first married she often made hose for dinner.

Hey BS, can you ask BS Mom if she will let you post any of her favorite hose recipes here so that we can all enjoy hose for dinner. [smilie=1:

steg
05-31-2011, 01:51 AM
I knew I shoudn't have told, but it was almost legal it was a 5/8th Green hose, since then I've never owned a Green hose, sorry no pics though, you guys have enough on me allready! Actually it was years ago and I think 5/8th hoses were legal size back then.............................steg

SciFiJim
05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
If hose is like all the other game in America, pretty soon 9mm won't be enough to take it. You will have to move up to .357Mag, followed shortly by a move up to .44Mag!

shooterg
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
My Craftsman hoses are 'sposed to have a lifetime warranty - wonder if they put any exceptions in the small print for boolits ? Tough hose, may need to get out the .45-70....

MT Gianni
05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
If hose is like all the other game in America, pretty soon 9mm won't be enough to take it. You will have to move up to .357Mag, followed shortly by a move up to .44Mag!

I forsee guided Hose hunts in the future all for your viewing pleasure. Pity the fools who tries to kill one with less than a 338 Win.

Ed Barrett
05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Around here you could shoot a bunch of holes in the hose and never notice it. It's been so wet around here the hoses aren't going to be used for a long while. My first planting of tomatoes drowned and turned black, my second bunch of plants are on their way to the same death.

crabo
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
I could tell you a story of a deadly light switch, but I won't....

troy_mclure
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
i know a guy that shot the head off an in ground sprinkler. he was laying in wait for a tomato eating chipmunk, when the sprinkler head popped up he blasted it. lol

PatMarlin
06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I love this story. Got a Youtube video?

gew98
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I was thinking by the title it was gonna be a snake....well a water hose thought to be a snake. I have to admit one time on a bumpfire challenge I shot my outside water spigot.Crazy thing though is the .223 hole was exactly what the 21/64 tap drill was for the pipe plug I put in it.

beagle
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry Pat, too ashamed of my stupidity to make one but your GC worked very well on the bullet./beagle

I love this story. Got a Youtube video?

Randy in Arizona
06-04-2011, 10:54 PM
One evening a good friend was demonstrating a suppressor on a 9mm submachinegun. He fired a shot into the grass in his backyard, very quiet and most impressive.
When I showed up a few days later he admitted he had managed to put a hole in one of the pvc pipes for his sprinkler system!:oops:

:redneck:

JIMinPHX
06-04-2011, 11:48 PM
A little 100 mile per hour tape (Army name for duct tape) got me back in business so far.

The funny thing is...
there is actually a NASCAR approved 200mph tape that is used for quick fixes during a race. One of my clients manufacturers that stuff. There are also a few varieties of FAA approved tape for aircraft repair.

GL49
06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Beagle,
If I was you, I'd get an attorney. "Honest, Judge, there I was, just hiding in the ivy where he left me, and for no apparent reason......and now, those cannibals are talking about a BBQ!"

beagle
06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
In VN, we commonly temprarily repared main rotor blades with the stuff when they took .30 and .50 rounds. File down the jagged edges and lay on a couple of layers of tape. Sounded like **** when it was flying but we could bring it home to change blades. I've always had some around since then./beagle

The funny thing is...
there is actually a NASCAR approved 200mph tape that is used for quick fixes during a race. One of my clients manufacturers that stuff. There are also a few varieties of FAA approved tape for aircraft repair.

looseprojectile
06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
When I worked at Boeing in Renton Wa. they called it 600 MPH tape. Probably the same tape just different expectations.

Life is good

mroliver77
06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Beagle, you must be blessed! Tape (duct or other) never works for me to patch a nose. I buy them pressure fittings with the collet type ring in them.

One of these days I am going to plumb out to the garden underground.
Jay

6.5 mike
06-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Alright, pop-up targets :redneck:.

beagle
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, it's working so far but the weather's been in the 90s. When it cools down, I may have to go that route.

That's a good idea and I've been considering that and may do it. I'll have to leave it close to the surface so I'll have achance to shoot it./beagle

Beagle, you must be blessed! Tape (duct or other) never works for me to patch a nose. I buy them pressure fittings with the collet type ring in them.

One of these days I am going to plumb out to the garden underground.
Jay

onesonek
06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
This reminds me so much of something in my youth, as I was all of 10 at the time.
My father had an Allis Chalmers dealership on the outter edge of town at the time. I would often take my BB gun out there and plink at Sparrows and 13 Stripped Gophers. One day I wasn't shooting so straight, and decided to check the sights on a box. It so happens that there was this big box kind of near the "junk pile". It looked to be a likely target as there was the AC logo dead center on this box. the box itself was rather large, roughly what looked 5x6 foot in size. It was also stacked on top of another just like it. I figured they were to be hauled away,,,so.
Thinking to myself, it is plenty large to see if my sights are way off for some reason.
I proceeded to take aim from a kneeling position at 15 yds. iirc, athe point of the A. I shot 3 times, and then took a closer look. Hmmm, there was a nice group about the size of a quarter. So I left the sights alone, figuing I just wasn't shooting so good earlier.

Well as the story goes,,,,it was some 2 months later. My father came to me, and asked why I was shooting at that box, with a tone and demeanor that had me thinking,,,oooops.
Turns out there was was a new tractor cab in the box, and it was just stored by the junk temporarily. Well, the BB made quick work of the front glass!!
Thankfully my oldest brother lightened the situation by saying,,,, "well you have to admit Dad, it was pretty damn good shootin" with a grin.
That likely got me out some time without the BB gun, but still cost me a summer's worth mowing without reward.