PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a .32 coming!

mjackson
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Sometime this summer I will receive my first revolver chambered in .32 S&W Long and after reading some of Glen Fryxell's articles, I think I will get into this casting thing. It never really appealled to me before, but it would be much cheaper in this calibre. I would like to start with Keith's #313445 bullet for its versatility, but molds seem scarce. Any thoughts on where to find a mold, should I have one made? My main purpose for the pistol would be plinking and small game hunting. Thanks

Echo
05-29-2011, 08:56 PM
My suggestion is to think small - don't jump in with a Magna-caster, custom molds, &cetera. Maybe later, but first do the simple stuff. A Lee 10-lb bottom pour furnace, Lee tumble-lube 2- (or 6-) cavity mold, and a Lee sizing kit will produce some danged good boolits, and let you know if this is how you want to spend some time. Once you have decided that this is a worthwhile endeavor, then let you pocketbook be your guide. All of the above can be purchased new for maybe $150, and considerably cheaper if you find the stuff used. That, and wheel weights, and a smelting set up (another $50, new), and you are on your way.

My Zwei Pfennigs...

MT Gianni
05-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I agree with Echo. get a Lee bullet and play with it. The 95 gr rn nose does not work as well for me as the RCBS 98 swc in 32 H&R or long. If you see a need when you are up to speed with things get a group buy started for the boolit of your dreams. If you lead enough will follow and we can get the "perfect" projectile til the next one comes along.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your gun. What are you getting by the way?

9.3X62AL
05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Welcome aboard, MJ!

I am a 32 caliber revolver ADDICT. The Lyman #313445 has been out of print for quite a while, but RCBS has a very similar and superbly accurate design in their 32-98-SWC. Mine casts large enough (.315") to "clean up" in a .314" throat like those in my S&W revolvers, and isn't over-squeezed when sized to .312" for the Rugers or .311" in the Colts.

You'll get roughly 70 boolits per pound of alloy poured, so raw materials go a long way in this caliber. I can reload 32 S&W Long (or 32 Magnum, for that matter) at a cost like that of CCI Mini-Mag rimfire ammo, or less. No special alloy required, 32 Longs can do quite well on wheelweight metal.

The 32 Long was the caliber that got me into boolit casting. The scarcity of commercially available component bullets prompted the move--and the rest is history.

What revolver(s) are you considering?

ETA--all the 32 junkies seem to be coming out of the woodwork! :)

mjackson
05-29-2011, 09:29 PM
It's a French made Manurhin MR 73. Has anybody ever heard of these?

castblast
05-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I bought one of these. Hope this helps.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110697

9.3X62AL
05-30-2011, 02:20 AM
It's a French made Manurhin MR 73. Has anybody ever heard of these?

Have I ever. One h--l of a fine revolver. Quality on par with a SIG P-210, per several sources. I have seen one example, about a 5" barrel Target variant. It locked up like a bank vault, D/A trigger was a little strong, but S/A trigger was like a pre-war S&W. You scored a JEWEL.