PDA

View Full Version : A Veteran Died Today. . .

Recluse
05-29-2011, 04:34 PM
This was posted on the Humor/Off-Topic section of the forum, and as promised, I've put it on the blog.

A Veteran Died Today (http://gunsnplanes.blogspot.com/2011/05/veteran-died-today.html)

I'd wager just about every single member we have here, regardless of nationality, knew someone at some point who unselfishly put on a uniform and went off to serve their country--and who no longer is here.

This is well worth the read, and even more worth remembering those in uniform today, and those who unselfishly wore the uniform in years past.

And as for me, tomorrow morning is when we do our sunrise ceremonies and present flags "on behalf of a grateful nation." I surprise myself each year by being able to save my emotions for until after we've made our presentations and the ceremonies are over.

It's a helluva thing. You make friends fast in the service. Real fast. Unfortunately, sometimes you also lose them almost equally as fast.

Memorial Day is for those who gave all. God Bless their souls and may we never forget their sacrifices.

:coffee:

Tom-ADC
05-29-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a few of them on the Wall, I fly my flag 24/7 365 days a year but on this week end I always add the Navy Battle flag in their honor.

6.5 mike
05-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Mine also flys 24/7 365. I also add a banner from the spainsh american war for this day in honor of those who gave their all.

lylejb
05-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you, Recluse.

That reminds me so much of my dad, who passed May 15th. He was a WWII navy vet.

Armorer
05-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Thank you.

Johnch
05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I have family that fought and died on both sides of WW2

All Politics aside
No way I can come up with the proper words to than them

John

Finster101
05-30-2011, 05:05 PM
While I am a vet, I never saw any combat. I was in with quite a few Nam vets though. Some talked about it, some did not, you could tell it took it's toll on both. I'm 50 now, and when I see these kids on TV it reminds me that fighting is a young mans game. These young men and women are doing a heck of a job, especially with the engagement restrictions placed on them. What I wouldn't give to be 20 now!

onceabull
05-30-2011, 05:24 PM
When I did my peacetime service,Enlisted ranks E-6 and up almost all had Korean war service,as did Officers ,Major & up, except for the Medical Corp. Rare,but still seen a time or three,was a Sergeant Major with WWII exp. Only Medal of Honor ribbon I ever saw up to that time, was on an E-6, whose reaction time told a story,when I saluted... Onceabull

smoked turkey
05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks Recluse. I also thought of my dad when I read this.

Ajax
05-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks Recluse. I too fly my flag 24/7, out of respect for my brethren who will never make it home to do so.

Andy

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2011, 09:15 AM
I have family that fought and died on both sides of WW2

All Politics aside
No way I can come up with the proper words to than them

John

Yeah, me too ... My Grandfather on my Father's side served under Hitler ... I talked with my Dad about this, and his only response was "back then you didn't have a choice ..." My Grandfather on my Mother's side wore the stars and stripes of the USA!

My Father immigrated here on the mid 50's ... My Father-in-law gave his life on my wife's tenth birthday flying over Laos.

Carolina Cast Bullets
05-31-2011, 10:22 AM
I guess I'm not the only Veteran who flies the flag 24/7

I replace it about every year and turn the old one over to the Marine League for
proper disposal.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets